Beautiful Books Linkup Thingy #3

11:20 AM







For the past two months, I've participated in the Beautiful Books, a blog linkup by the lovely Cait @ Paper Fury (congrats on the successful blog switch!) and Sky @ Further Up and Further In. It's a three-month linkup focusing on the three parts of writing: Plotting, writing, and editing. We're on week 3 now, and it's all about editing. 

My previous posts: 
And now, the questions! (Note: I won't be editing my NaNo novel, Io, for a while, but I did the other two posts on that books so we're sticking with that.)


1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?

Honestly? Probably a 2 or a 3. I'm not very happy with the way it turned out and it needs a lot of work, but really that's just how NaNo works. 

2. Have you ever rewritten or editing one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
I'm currently doing serious edits/rewrites for my full-time novel, Pariah, right now. (Which is why I can't get to Io at the moment.) I'm on the fourth draft of that one, and so far my editing process and plan has been heaps of chocolate, tea/coffee, good music, character interviews, and so on. I'd say a major help is to stay excited about it - be constantly pumping yourself up and reminding yourself of how much you love the story. A little excitement goes a long way, and it's a huge help. 

3. What’s your final wordcount? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?

It came out to 100,023 (100k was my goal for this month. I'm an overachiever, I know, but this time I actually did it!) And it needs trimming. A lot of trimming. I stretched that thing waaaaaay too long to get it to my goal.

4. What’s are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?

Definitely the characters. Even though I did some awful things to them, I love them all to death, and they were a blast to write! The plot...wasn't really much of one, and the pacing was awful, but those characters made it worth it for me. (Especially Yarrow. That boy cracked me up.) 

My feelings toward my adorable charries.

5. What’s your favourite bit of prose or line from this novel?

Why yes, it is a bit of shipping. And I love them so. 



6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?
Plot. It definitely needs more planning, more trimming, and a plot that actually, you know, has some structure to it. I got a little lost along the way. 

Definitely my feelings after finishing.
(Also it's from LOST. See what I did there?)

7. What aspect of your book is your favourite? 

Io and Cassander, my adorable couple. I'm not a huge fan of romance by any means, and there wasn't much time for it with all the action going on, but Io and Cassander were adorable, a joy to write, and I loved watching them grow as the story spun out. 

There was lots of fangirling on my part. Sigh. 

8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?

Like I said, I absolutely adored them, but they definitely need some work. They aren't quite there yet, but I know what I need to do to develop them  a little more.

9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?

More planning. DEFINITELY more planning. This was a story that needed a lot of it, unfortunately for me the ultra-pantser. I would've actually figured out my plot and characters a little more before moving forward. 

Although, my villain announcing himself unplanned out of nowhere was kind of fun. There were lots of surprises like that. 

Lots of these moments. 

10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?

That villain. I DID NOT SEE HIM COMING. He turned out to be very interesting, but still, we all thought it was rude of him to show up uninvited. There were lots of surprising scenes, and surprising characters - a whole gang showed up out of nowhere and now I love them to pieces. My boy Yarrow surprised me lots and lots and lots, not always in a good way. And Cassander got stabbed near the end and nearly gave me a heart attack. Oh, my bad little babies. It worked out okay, though, in the end.

11. What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?
It didn't really come across at all - I want to work on that when I get to editing, because I like it a lot and I didn't really pay attention to fleshing it out as much as planned. The theme/message is all about confidence, and learning to not blame yourself for everything - Io, my MC, has trouble with both those things, and over the course of the story she was supposed to have learned a few things about it.

12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?

NaNoWriMo is the best for me, because I thrive on deadlines. I really, really enjoy having a goal like that to work for and accomplish. So naturally, when I hit 50k ten days in (an exhausting ten days, may I add) I decided to go for another 50k, because I can't resist a challenge. 

And now I regret it because I didn't sleep. But oh well. 

Or all month, really. 

13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)

Ooh, that's a hard one. I'd say it's....Maze Runner meets Revolution (although I haven't seen much of that show). Sort of. Kind of. Maybe not really. 

14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?!

CHOCOLATE. Heaps of chocolate. That is the only answer. 

Because chocolate is magic and everyone knows it.



15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?


This wasn't a throw-it-across-the-room-when-you're-done sort of book, like I prefer to write. This was a happy ending, touchy-feeling sort of book, while dramatic and intense in the middle. Because that's okay sometimes. I want them to come away slightly teary, though, because it is intense up until the very end. And making people cry over books is fun.

Well, that's it! Be sure to check out my other two Beautiful Books posts if you haven't already, not to mention the rest of the entries in the linkup. Link yours in the comments below and I will visit them ALL. *maniacal laughter* 

Do you like editing? What stage are you at in your current novel? Did you win NaNoWriMo? 


7 comments

  1. Making people cry over books is like totally fun. It's totally a goal of mine too. ;-) CONGRATS ON 100K THOUGH!! WHHEEEE. That is amazing. xD I used to write 90K + books but now I'm always around 50-60K and that's okay with me because less editing. (I'm so lazy, right?!) But seriously, that is so awesome you won and everything! SLEEP IS FOR THE DEAD. *nods* I was so exhausted when I finished NaNo I literally collapsed in bed and slept for hours and hours. hehe.
    Thanks for linking up with us!!! *offers you cake*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually around the length of my books, too...laziness for the win, right? I've been taking the past week or so off to recover from all those words, and to catch up on everything I missed while I was gone, haha.
      Huzzah for cake! *is now glad she linked up*

      Delete
  2. Ohhh! I love it! Some of those gifs are amazing! :D Love your answers. :)

    I did my one yesterday. The questions are really compelling, and helped me to think on a deeper level of my story. :)

    http://rachywriter.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/beautiful-book-nanowrimo-editing.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they're very good questions, and super helpful. Thanks!

      I'm off to check out your post now!

      Delete
  3. Your book sounds really cool! I love the names and I love the Maze Runner. ^ ^ Congrats on your big word count! :D

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It didn't turn out quite the way I'd hoped, but I had a blast writing it.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry your novel didn't turn out the way you wanted. On the up side though, you can treat it like a learning curve and come back to it later for a bit of polishing. =] Still, 100k is such an amazing goal. Kudos to you. I like how you have self-imposed deadlines. I'm kinda bad with that but I'm working on it!

    I love the names Io and Cassander by the way. (Sorry if I said that before. (I was here before, right? *frown.*)) Despite that it didn't go the way you hoped, your plot, from what I've heard so far, sounds pretty awesome. =D I'll leave the link for my Beautiful Books 3 < there. Great post! I hope the editing goes well.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.