I Read Quite A Lot of Books This Year, and Some Deserve Mentions

7:25 AM




It's almost the end of the year, so I've been looking back a little and looking at my accomplishments over 2014. One of these big accomplishments, as usual, is books.

As of now, I have 16 books sitting in two stacks by my desk, waiting for me to read them. In fact, I'll probably pick up more as soon as I've read a couple of these and brought down the stack a little. I've read a lot this year, needless to say, and especially these past few months, so I thought I'd mention a few of my favorites from this year here. This isn't an exhaustive list of all the books I enjoyed, because I enjoyed a lot, just my very favorites.


The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer 


I discovered these in late spring/early summer, and fell in love instantly. I mean, cyborg Cinderella? HECK YES. I tore through them all as quickly as possible, and now I'm anxiously awaiting Fairest, the prequel, and Winter, the last book in the series! These books are phenomenal fairy tale adaptions, and all of the plotlines blend together seamlessly, even with so many characters. And what wonderful characters they are - I can't name one I don't like, except for the ones you're supposed to hate, of course. Cress happens to be my favorite though, because they're all in it and I love Cress and Thorne and really ALL THE SHIPPING. Read these books. You know you want to.


Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson 



Oh, did I enjoy this book. I read this around the same time as The Lunar Chronicles, and loved it just as much, if in a different way. It's a gritty, intense, fascinating take on superheros, and not just your typical superhero novel. I loved the topic and the things it makes you think about. I loved David, our witty-but-awful-with-metaphors protagonist, who wasn't 'special' when it came down to it but was intelligent, a good guy, and just plain hilarious. Steelheart made me laugh out loud, which I don't usually do. (Also, that cover is epic. Just saying.)


Bruiser by Neal Shusterman


I finished this book just two weeks ago, in fact, and loved it instantly. You can read my Goodreads review for it here, so I'll just say here that I've never read a book quite like this one: it had Neal Shusterman's familiar and compelling style, a breathtaking plot with horrifically wonderful twists and turns, amazing characters that I was rooting for the whole way, and relationships among those characters that really touched me and won't let go anytime soon. READ THIS BOOK ALSO. 



The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


I happen to love classic books just as much as I love my YA sci-fi. I love a lot of these classic books, but I read The Great Gatsby a few months ago and I think it's in a very good position to be my favorite classic so far, if not one of my absolute favorite books in general ever. I loved the writing - it's dreamy but not plodding, vivid, stifling, full of life in a muted, ominous sort of way that sucks you in and doesn't let you go. I enjoyed Nick, our narrator, a matter-of-fact, honest, smart young man caught in the middle of scandal and partying in 1920s New York. I was intrigued by Gatsby, the equally smart and in some ways innocent wealthy man just trying to earn back the heart of the girl he loves. In short, I adored this book so, so much. 

Undivided by Neal Shusterman


I just really like his books, okay? Undivided is the fourth book in his Unwind dystology, which are quite possibly my favorite books EVER (and that's a pretty big award.) I've been waiting a little under two years for this book and I wasn't disappointed. It's everything I want a series finale to be: gripping, heartbreaking, but with a satisfying conclusion. This book made me cry multiple times. And shout "NO!" in public twice. (I'm not even joking.) It was wonderful and perfect and I could fangirl over it and the rest of the series all day. 

Red Rising by Pierce Brown 


I saved this one for last because I loved it SO. DARN. MUCH. It's definitely my favorite book ever (with Unwind being a very close second.) I cried over this book, too. I also wrote a review for it here. Red Rising made me cry. It made me gasp. I finished it in about half a day, because I couldn't put it down. It's not for the faint of heart or squeamish. It's violent and gritty and horrific in spots, and it's exactly what I want out of YA dystopia/sci-fi. Darrow, the MC, is my favorite character of all time, or definitely one of them. All the characters, and the world, and the plot, are almost perfectly developed. The sequel, Golden Son, comes out this January and I'm so nervous but I can't wait! 


Like I said, this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the good books I read in 2014. But these were definitely my favorites, the ones that stood out to me. 

What about you? What fantastic, favorite books did you read this year that deserve a mention? Have you read any of the books above? Comment away and we shall have fabulous book discussions. 

10 comments

  1. I read The Lunar Chronicles for the first time this year, and the books were fantabulous! (That is totally a word :) I liked how Marissa Meyer created a lot of strong, female heroines that weren't just the average damsels in distress. I liked all of the books, but I especially loved Scarlet because that was the book that kept me in the most suspense.

    I like reading classics, too, so I'd love to read The Great Gatsby.

    Oh gosh, The Unwind Series. I can not deal with that series. My teacher read the first book out loud to us in reading class a couple of years ago when we had free time every Friday and it scared the wits out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I didn't think they'd be so wonderful, but I've thoroughly enjoyed them all. (especially Cress. I mean, Cress and Thorne. Aghhh.) And I'm totally with you with the strong female characters.

      Gatsby is wonderful. Just saying. :)

      Haha, they're super disturbing, aren't they? I've really loved all of them, but I'm always up for a creepy read personally.

      Delete
  2. I read Cinder fully expecting to hate it and whoops that didn't happen. Instead I am in love with it, and it is awesome. Wolf is my favorite. Just saying.

    And I STILL NEED TO READ UNDIVIDED I EVEN OWN IT BUT WHAT AM I DOING NOT READING IT THAT'S WHAT GAH WHAT AM I EVEN DOING WITH MY LIFE.

    I don't know. Yeah. That's pretty much it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Wolf. AND THORNE. AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THOSE WONDERFUL BOOKS BECAUSE I LOVE THEM ALL. ahem.

      YES. Yes you absolutely do. I cried, like said. I adored it, and it was definitely a beautiful ending. SO GO READ IT NOW, haha.

      Delete
  3. I NEED TO READ SO MANY OF THESE.

    1) I'm so impressed by the graphic at the top.
    2) I need to read The Lunar Chronicles and The Great Gatsby (my best friend loves it). Ooh, and Unwind too.
    3) The links are hard to see because they look identical to the rest of the text, I only noticed them because it's been happening on my blog too. Maybe put them in a different colour? That's what I've been doing. :)
    4) Oh, I've read so many good books this year. I recommend Only Ever Yours by Louise O' Neill and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (both of which I've reviewed over on my book blog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're all fantastic!

      1) Thanks! I made it here: https://www.canva.com/ and probably spent way too much time on it. :P
      2) YES. They're all my favorites and I'd definitely recommend them. (especially Unwind, but hey, I'm biased.)
      3) Ah, thanks! I didn't notice that and I'll be sure to get it fixed.
      4) I've seen a lot about Fangirl especially...it's not something I would usually read but I think I'm going to put it on my list for when I'm not quite as swamped with books to read.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I've read Bruiser!! It was very intense and had lots of twists and turns that I didn't expect. I haven't read the other books, but they're going on my reading list for 2015.

    This year I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter, which was a sociopathically humorous book (somehow that isn't an oxymoron in this context), and Next of Kin, a novel which was written from a really dark, interesting point of view and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. There was also Soon I Will Be Invincible, a novel about an evil supergenius. These books so held my attention that I finished each of them within hours of starting. I'm beginning to see a pattern in my reading material. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I absolutely loved Bruiser. Ughhhh the feelssssss.

      Those all sound fun! :D

      Delete
  5. RED RISING IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK OF EVER. It made me cry. It made me GASP AND SCREAM A LITTLE. *gulps* I'm wickedly excited for Golden Son. XD
    I want to read Brusier! I want to read all of Neal Shusterman's books actually, hehe. I read Unwind and LOVED it but I never got to the rest and now I need to reread. Which is tentatively on my list of to-do things in 2015. But heh. My reading list for 2015 is getting ridiculously long ALREADY. 0.0 And I'm not even counting on new releases. Help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS. I love it so much and GOLDEN SON IS GOING TO TEAR ME APART. I've preordered it and just ugh.
      Oh, yes, you do need to finish the Unwind series, but I keep saying that, don't I? Bruiser is absolutely fantastic, though, and has the bonus points of being a standalone so you don't have to worry about reading more :P It shattered me. Although, I've read several of his other books and haven't been impressed with them, soooo...

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.