Beautiful People Linkup: In Which I Talk About Myself A Lot

7:00 AM

10928109_595959117172101_1450331761_n

The past three months, I've done Beautiful Books, a blog linkup for writers done by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up And Further In! Now, it's back to Beautiful People, and this month, it's focusing on authors. So I'm going link up, answer ALL the questions, and encourage all you lovely people to do the same. 

This time it's talking all about myself, so I should be good at this one.

There will be GIFs, obviously.

The Glorious Questions!

1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
I've been writing seriously for about three years now, but before then for as long as I can remember. I began calling myself a writer for real when I finished my first little novella, which is something I still cringe at when I happen to find in my folders. But oh well. 

2. How/why did you start writing?
I started writing with friends, as a way to make stories out of the complex storylines we'd act out when we got together. I got really into this. I still have draft upon draft of those stories - and I'd be lying if I said I don't want to maybe finish one one day, for old time's sake. 

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
Characters characters characters. Let me said it again. Characters. My favorite part of writing is having these people pop up in my head, and getting to watch them grow and develop and become like best friends. What's cooler than that? Sure, sometimes they're rebellious, but it's so worth it.

An Elf GIF after Christmas. Don't judge me. 

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?

Tight, coherent stories. I'm a huge pantser, to the point of screwing everything up quite often, so I really need to work on knowing what I'm doing so it, you know, actually flows right and makes sense. *sigh* Also research. Research is my weak spot, especially for someone who has a penchant for sci-fi and historical fiction/steampunk.

But I have no clue what I'm doing. Ever. 

5. Do you write best at night or day?
Night! I'm a huge night owl - I'd stay up to unholy hours every night if I could - and that's when I get the majority of my procrastinating about writing actual writing done. 

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)


There it is! It's my desk in my room: I have a swivel chair obviously, my notes, a pen, the laptop and earbuds, various junk, and those post-its have favorite book quotes on them for inspiration. It's usually more messy than this, haha. 

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
Around three months, on average.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
I prefer to have just one. I can't focus on all that stuff at once! But at the moment, I have two, Pariah to edit and Havard with the first draft. (You can find both in the 'Current Projects' tab above!)

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
Take a guess. 
I'm a sucker for tragic endings if they're done well. I end up writing bittersweet endings usually (the best kind!) but I've gotten away with a few downright tragic ones. *evil laughter* 

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Oh, that's a hard one. As a younger writer it was Tolkien who inspired my fantasy. Now, as a more serious writer, I've been hugely shaped by:

  • Neal Shusterman and his knack for incredible, unique writing, with layered and well developed characters that really made me think about my own. 
  • Shannon Hale and her wonderful, out-of-the ordinary fantasy that encouraged me with my own fantasy/all writing ventures. 
  • Scott Westerfeld, who got me into steampunk and helped me make that steampunk so much better! (seriously, go read Leviathan. It's great, and if there was a book that helped inspire my WIP Pariah, that's it, in a weird way.) 
  • C.S. Lewis, who always makes me think about what I'm writing and the messages I'm putting into it, no matter what it happens to be. 
There's lots of others, but those are my favorites. 

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?

Oh, I'd shove it down everyone's throat if I could. I thrive off of encouragement and hard critique alike, and having people read it gives me accountability to actually finish the thing.

*waves to all readers/critique partners/anyone who's ever read anything I've ever written* I'm sorry. 

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?

To have someone, at least one person, care about a book I've written. Just one fangirl/fanboy who gets obsessed and flaily and loves my charries, that's all I ask for. (that's not too much to ask, right?) 

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
Be an editor. Or the host of Survivor. Or a missionary. Or someone with a life.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?

A real dystopia book. I think most YA 'dystopians' aren't really dystopian at all, and I'd like to try a thoughtful one more along the lines of 1984 or Brave New World (both of which are personal favorites). But alas, I'm not smart enough yet - someday, though, it'll happen. Probably.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
That's Pariah, to be sure. Oh, goodness, Pariah. I've been obsessed with my baby for a year and three and a half drafts now, and I hope I won't stop anytime soon. You can find out about Pariah in the 'Current Projects' tab above, or this blog post, or this one where I got all emotional about it.  I love it to pieces (and probably rant about it here way too much.) 

So there we are! Now you know all my deep, dark secrets. Go participate in the linkup yourselves, peoples! It's a ton of fun.

18 comments

  1. Getting to see my characters develop is the best thing, and it's the same way with finally seeing my plot come together. This often happens in gym where I am bored out of my mind so I brainstorm my stories while playing volleyball. Then I get hit with volleyballs. And it's not fun. Research...hehe...my first novel was sci-fi and there is no research in it at all. None. Good luck with writing Pariah. It sounds like a wonderful book. Also, don't feel bad about the Elf gif. I'm still listening to Christmas music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I've zoned out and started daydreaming about things in public soooo many times. That's where I get my best ideas, somehow. *fistbumps for minimal research*

      Delete
  2. Wooh! C.S Lewis! I LOVE CS Lewis! and nice writing space btw. Okay the GIF you associated with pansting made me laugh because that was me with the most recent NaNoWriMo. I had NOTHING plotted and I was panicking the entire time haha :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, right? I NEVER plan my NaNo novel. And it always goes poorly. ALWAYS. This year was a trainwreck, but lots of fun. xD

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, acting out stories. That was my sister's and my favorite game as kids. We still do it occasionally.

    I've only recently discovered Shannon Hale. I really enjoy her humor-oriented books, like Rapunzel's Revenge and Ever After High, but I'm having trouble getting into her serious books. She's a great author though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I may or may not still do it too at times... *looks around innocently*

      I love Shannon Hale! Rapunzel's Revenge is adorable and makes me really happy. I love her writing. :D

      Delete
  4. Characters are the best! I struggle with research and coherent plots, too. Actually, now that I think of it, I think I struggle with everything necessary to a good story - plot, pacing, research, showing versus telling. XD Oh well. I love the Loki gif!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I totally get that. I think it's just writing that I find hard. xD

      Delete
  5. I've seen Shusterman floating around here and there for the inspiration question - I've only read Unwind (and only the first book), so maybe I should really read more. But I love Tolkien and Shannon Hale!

    P.S.: Perfect Loki gif usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO READ THE OTHERS. THEY WILL RIP YOUR SOUL OUT. YOU SHOULD ALSO READ BRUISER.

      *steps off soapbox* I really like Shusterman. xD And Tolkien and Hale are brilliant too, like I said. :)

      Delete
    2. NO NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT ISN'T LIKE A SUGGESTION IT'S LIKE A REQUIREMENT TO BE ALIVE OKAY MAYBE NOT BUY REALLY SHE'S NOT WRONG.

      *chucks soapbox full of Neal Shusterman on the ground* READ.

      Delete
  6. YAS. I know what you mean about a lot of this; I'm the opposite when it comes to sharing, because I don't like sharing, but still. I liked getting to read a little Pariah and things. :) Also, yes, Alyssa is right that the Loki GIF usage is perfect, because it resonates with me on a psychological and spiritual level. Really though.

    Thanks for letting us look into your writing life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured that gif was a good one. xD And it was fun to let you all see my deep dark writerly life ^_^

      Delete
  7. Your writing space is awesome. LOVE THE STICKY NOTES! The wall next to my bed is covered in sticky-notes and I'm about to update them all with NEW things I need to remember. I really want a corkboard someday so I can stop molesting my walls but *shrugs* sticky-tape is life.
    Also I giggled at your perfect gif usage for 7. XD
    I love my characters too. They always feel so REAL to me...and...and...YES. I still have imaginary friends. *stamps foot* I do and I'm not ashamed.
    So glad you liked the linkup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sticky notes are my favorite. I've got them all over xD
      Yay for imaginary friends!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh yeah CS Lewis and Neal Shusterman are such fantastic authors!! I do love a good tragic ending, but I think HEAs that aren't over done are my fav.

    Great post! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss. Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.