End Of Year Book Survey

7:00 AM



Thanks to Cait @ Paper Fury, I discovered another fun linkup! This one is the 2014 End of Year Book Survey, by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner. It looks like a lot of fun, long though it is, so I'm going to brave it so I have a record of all this good stuff for next year. And yes, it is super long. But long posts are fun, aren't they? And while you're at it, why don't you participate yourself, and link up there and in the comments here? 

Let's do this thing. 




Number of Books You Read 
This is a tricky one, because I only started recording via Goodreads a few months ago. But I've got 110 books on Goodreads currently so I'll go with that. 

Number of Re-Reads
A lot. 

Genre You Read the Most From 
I'm going to say science fiction. I've read a lot of those recently especially. 



1. Best Book You Read in 2014 
That's going to go to Red Rising by Pierce Brown, hands down. I LOVE IT. SO MUCH. *flails* Go read it. Now. (and that cover. THAT COVER.)

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Hm...I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells. It was a little too supernatual and not enough sociopathy/serial killer-ness for my tastes. 
I do like the cover, though. 
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Good way - The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson (didn't expect to like it, at all. BUT I DID. OH YES.)
Bad way - BZRK by Michael Grant. (I didn't hate it, actually. I just...CREEPY. Ugh.) 


4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Bruiser by Neal Shusterman. SUCH A GOOD BOOK.


5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Series - The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. (And all the shipping.) 

Sequel - The Promise by Chaim Potok. Great book, terrifying book, and wonderful sequel.

Series ending - Undivided by Neal Shusterman. *more flailing* 

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
This one is probably a tie between Marissa Meyer with The Lunar Chronicles and Pierce Brown with Red Rising. Because I loved both. 

10. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson. I almost never read contemporary, and didn't have high hopes for this one, but I was super impressed. I cried, too.


 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I want to say Red Rising because it really was, but I feel like I've mentioned it so many times I shouldn't again. But it was definitely Red Rising. Aside from that, I guess I'll pick... BZKR: Reloaded by Michael Grant. Not my favorite ever, but I read it in three hours flat and it definitely fits all the criteria above. 


9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I'll say it again, Red Rising. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Didn't expect much out of this one, either, but it was wonderful. Slow but gorgeous. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
Yep, you guessed it. 
Just look at that cover, though. 


11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Darrow from Red Rising. (I really adored that book, can't you tell?) But really, he was SO great and the kind of YA MC I've been waiting for for a long, long time.
*flails because epicness*
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I know I keep mentioning the same books over and over, but I think it's a tie between The Impossible Knife of Memory and Scorpio Races and Bruiser. 


13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
1984 by George Orwell. It's absolutely brilliant, and made me feel a bit ill - but definitely made me think about a lot of things. I reread it recently and was blown away by the writing, and the symbolism, and just all of it. THIS BOOK IS TOO SMART FOR ME.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, obviously. 

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I JUST.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald 
Longest - Les Miserables by Victor Hugo 

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Undivided by Neal Shusterman. OH MY GOODNESS. This book had me shouting in public several times. I'm not even kidding. I think my heart stopped once or twice. Good doesn't cover it.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
CRESS AND THORNE CRESS AND THORNE CRESS AND THORNE. Of The Lunar Chronicles, of course. So. Darn. Cute.
So much flailing.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Bronte and Tennyson of Neal Shusterman's Bruiser. I'm a sucker for good sibling relationships, and I haven't read one this wrenching and realistic and good in forever. Oh, I cried.
Okay, so I couldn't find a quote with them specifically, but
this one from the book is gorgeous. So there. Just read the book yourself and see.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Who Could That Be At This Hour? by Lemony Snicket. Have I mentioned I love Lemony Snicket? I love Lemony Snicket. I must finish this series when I have the time, really.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
We're back to Scorpio Races! (thanks to Cait!)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Oh, goodness, this is a hard one. I love Finn from The Impossible Knife of Memory and Thorne from Cress and David from Steelheart. Let's go with David. 
They looked so dangerous, like alligators. Really fast alligators wearing black. Ninja alligators. I decided not to use that one on Megan.
He is absolutely hilarious and I love him. I really do.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
RED RISING. 

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. Oh goodness. This book. THE SETTING. THE DESCRIPTIONS.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Cress by Marissa Meyer! 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Undivided, for sure. Remembering the whole shouting in public thing? There were also tears.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson. I picked this one up on a whim, and I wasn't disappointed, which is always a good thing! It's all mental and science-fiction-y and the MC has synesthesia, which was absolutely fascinating, and I was surprised along the way. 

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? 
Do I really need to say it? Red Rising. And Undivided. And Bruiser. 

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Islands At the End of the World by Austin Aslan. Apocalypse. Hawaii. Epilepsy. FATHER DAUGHTER ADVENTURE AND NO LOVE INTEREST FOR THE TEEN MC. Aliens. Need I say more?


30. Book That Made You the Most Mad (doesn't mean you didn't like it?) 
Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry. I feel like the only person in the world who absolutely loathed this book, but oh well. It had promise, it was just so...stupid



There's a little blogging section here in the actual linkup, but I'm choosing not to do it. So there. 




1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I'm very, very anxious to get to another of her books because her writing is LOVELY and I've had this one recommended several times. I also happen to love the cover, which is important.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman. It looks absolutely ah-maze-ing. And, I mean, Neal Shusterman.


3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Oh, hmm, I really don't know...

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
GOLDEN SON. Red Rising sequels all the way. This one is coming on the 6th, actually, and I'm extremely nervous. And excited. Too many emotions all at once. And if you don't think that cover is fantastic, we can't be friends. 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
For reading, it would definitely be to read more classics, which I'm working on. For blogging, it's to keep it up - I have a tendency to quit things, but I'd like to push through with this. 




Well, that was long, wasn't it? I did have a lot of fun putting it together, so I won't apologize for it. If you made it to the end alive, congratulations! You win cake. Or pie. Or brownies, or something. Comment away with some of your favorite books of the year, because I'm always in need of more recommendations, obviously!

8 comments

  1. I was about to read The Impossible Knife of Memory because I borrowed it from the library, but then I had too many books and the due date came up and I had to return it. I'll return to it eventually, though. The Lunar Chronicles was so good! And now we have to wait until November for the final installment. *cries* I mean we have Fairest to tide us over, but, but..that doesn't end the series. It's just backstory...

    I also want to read more classics and I hope to read The Great Gatsby, 1984 and Les Mis this year. And some other classics. I made a challenge list for myself.

    My favorite books of the year were Chasing Jupiter by Rachel Coker, Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, We Were Liars by E.Lockhart, Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl and the book I’m reading right now, The Innovators by Walter Isaacson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Impossible Knife of Memory is AMAZING. You should definitely read it when you get the chance! I don't usually like YA contemporary but I finished this one in just a few hours and it's one of my favorites ever. Lunar Chronicles IS great. I mean, I'm extremely excited about Fairest, but I need Winter nowwwwwwww.

      Classics are great! It's hard to get into but once you start they get pretty addicting in a way, at least for me. :) But The Great Gatsby is short, fairly easy to read, and a good start, I think.

      Ooh. I haven't read We Were Liars yet but it's on my list and I'll be reading it as soon as it comes in at the library (which is taking foreverrrrrr. Ugh. I wants it, precious.) But I've read Scarlet and To Kill A Mockingbird.

      Delete
  2. SO MUCH MARISSA MEYER. SO MUCH NEAL SHUSTERMAN. SO MUCH FLAILING. *flails* I haven't read much other than those (I mean, Gatsby, but I don't flail a LOT about Gatsby, just a little because I'm pretty sure he's the Edward Cullen of the twenties and I enjoy that immensely) but still.

    SO MUCH FLAIL.

    As for me, At this point I'm hoping that I'll get through the books I own but haven't read. That includes Undivided, to my shame. But I do have an excuse: I'm scared to start because I don't know if I'll be able to control myself because the last time I read a Shusterman book I seriously thought I might murder someone I was so angry and so I need to get into a braver mindset.

    Anyway, I loved the post, and have fun reading even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails with you* YES. SO MANY GOOD BOOKS THIS YEAR.

      YOU MUST READ UNDIVIDED. THERE WAS SHOUTING AND TEARS IN PUBLIC AND I LOVED IT BUT IT WILL TEAR YOUR SOUL OUT.

      Ahem.

      Delete
    2. BUT I LIKE MY SOUL.

      BUT I LIKE MY SOUL IN SHREDS, TOO.

      WHY DO WE READ.

      *sigh*

      Delete
    3. BOOKS.

      BOOKS WHY.

      WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME.

      Delete
  3. Guess who has Brusier waiting to pick up at the library? ;-) YOU ARE A BAD INFLUENCE ON ME. My goals of 2015 is to totally have a small TBR and not be overwhelmed. BUT ALREADY I'M RESERVING ALL THE BOOKS AT THE LIBRARY. *glares* I blame you for sure.
    But Neal Shuuuusterman is awesome.
    Also: BZRK. I love BZRK. I have a serious obsession with Michael Grant's writing and I've read like 10+ of his books. LURVE. but BZRK took creepy to a whole new level and I got so so stressed out. The sequels are worse. I'm finishing the 3rd this year.

    BTW, you are so so welcome for my peer-pressure to read The Scorpio Races. Now go read The Raven Cycle. GO. Like, why are you even still here? GO READ IT. *ahem*

    Also, are we cyber-twins or something because afdjakflsd Lemony Snicket and Red Rising and Cress and ALL THE THINGS.

    This post was too awesome. JUST SO AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to see what you think about Bruiser! YES. RESERVE ALL THE BOOKS. READ ALL THE THINGS.
      BZRK is definitely stressful. I just got the third one and I'm REALLY STRESSED OUT ABOUT IT AH.
      *flails at all the things*

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.