Book Review: We Were Liars

9:54 AM

16143347
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get through this review without screaming, shall we?

This'll be a short review, honestly, because I'm lazy because if you've seen anything about this book you know that people who review it don't actually talk about the plot that much, and there's a very good reason for that. And I mean, do you see the summary? The whole point of the book is to go into it without knowing much of anything, which really bothered me more than anything, but I very quickly saw the reasoning for it.

I read this book in three hours flat, without putting it down.


Yeah, it's one of those. 

We Were Liars is a contemporary with a twist, and a tiny book at that, so you can get through it in one traumatized sitting. It's about rich kids and private islands and a devastating accident that changes everything. And you don't know what's true, because I don't think I've ever read about a character as unreliable as this before. 

Hooked yet? Because you should be. 

Oh, yeah, and the writing's beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, but half 

The book 

Is formatted like this 

For dramatic effect. 

Don't let that bother you. READ THE BOOK RIGHT NOW. IT IS GLORIOUS. And that writing, oh, that writing...it's first person, written from the POV of our lovely protagonist Cadence, who...yeah, she has some issues. You're rooting for her, but you really can't trust anything she says. 

Me the whole book. 

And a quick moment about the setting! It was lovely - set on a private island for a rich family, so it's all beachy and starry and bright and colorful, and I loved it. It reminded me of my own vacation days, in the best way possible, even if the rest of the book was totally morbid. And in a way, that bright setting made everything even more drastic! *chuckles*

I can't tell you about the characters, because you really should get to know them yourself, but oh, I loved them all! Cadence, Jonny, Mirren, and Gat were all such great friends, such alive characters, and I just...agh. I JUST CANNOT OKAY. I NEED HELP. 

The ending flattened me. 

That is all. 



You can find the book and put it on your Goodreads TBR (which you really should) here.

In addition, you can find my Goodreads here, and you should totally follow me so we can talk books and I can see what you lovely people are reading and such.

What about you? Have you read We Were Liars? What were your thoughts? How do you feel about going into books without knowing much about them? Do you like tragic/complex endings, or are you a happy endings kind of person? Comment away. 

31 comments

  1. When I saw the snippet on my Dashboard, I thought you were going to say you hated it. But now I'm intrigued ... Although an unreliable narrator would probably drive me mad, they are SO much fun to write.

    Once again, A+ gif usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I actually thought I would hate it...fortunately, I ended up LOVING it, which is always a nice surprise. That unreliable narrator was frustrating, I won't lie, but in a good way? It's one of the most intriguing books I've ever read, for sure. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Ive seen that book in Target so many times before and I think Ive read the back a million times and just thought "ehh. not my kind of book."
    but my goal is to read more books outside my usual genre.....
    so I think Im going to add it on goodreads. lol. and you! we can be friends on goodreads!
    thanks for the review. I got hooked when you said it was morbid. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, at first...I procrastinated picking it up for a long time, because I didn't think I would like it. It's not a book for everyone, of course, but I think it's worth a try - I was pleasantly surprised. :)

      Delete
  3. I've actually been kind of weary about picking this book up from other people's reviews.

    But you've convinced me, it's got to be read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! I'd say definitely go for it. :D

      Delete
  4. I've heard sooo many good reviews about We Were Liars, but I haven't got around to picking it up yet. It's so short - short books usually put me off (I like some heft to my reading materials!). BUT I think I'll be ordering this to my local library... the suspense is killing me!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST READ IT. Ahem. It's really good. xD It took me a long time to get to it, but I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  5. When I put We Were Liars down I just did not even know what to do with myself. What even was that ending? Cadence was so unreliable it was painful, and even though the ending had me so confused, I liked being confused. Somewhere along the way reality blended into imagination, and I still can't discern what's real and what isn't in that book. The writing was really gorgeous, too. Gosh, I loved this book. Me want reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think I ran out into the living room wailing like I'd been shot or something. xD I had to read that ending several times because WHAT EVEN. But I really, really loved Cadence nonetheless - she was so relatable, in a weird way. I totally need to read it again, too...

      Delete
  6. I really

    Enjoyed the

    Format of this book.

    It was like thoughts

    In my mind. :)

    BUT I LOVE THIS BOOK. And the end was just like wow. Wow. What just happened. It was brilliant :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It was quite clever, yeah :D And I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  7. Well, I was a little skeptical, and then I decided... With those GIFS, it's at least worth a shot. Because those emotions speak to me and if they are true to your own emotions, as your own writing attests, what's the hurt?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I can't promise you'll love it, but I think you will...it's a pretty amazing book. xD

      Delete
  8. Your book reviews are expanding my to-read list faster than a visit to Barnes and Noble. -_- I already had plenty to read, thanks. Now I have even more to catch up on and no time to read any of it.
    Oh well. That's what summers are for, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *chuckles maniacally*
      I am not sorry. Not at all. READ ALL THE THINGS.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it isn't like I have school. Or college decisions to make. Or, you know, LIFE. *heavy sigh*

      Delete
    3. Life? Who needs life? *laughs nervously*

      Delete
    4. *looks over at list of soon-to-be-due homework assignments* *joins in nervous laughter* yeah. . . Who needs life, right?

      Delete
    5. Certainly...certainly not me...*laughing but also crying*

      Delete
    6. *crying hysterically*
      I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ALL THESE INTERESTING BOOKS.

      Delete
  9. Oh, and by the way I followed you on Goodreads if you want to follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read We Were Liars, but from this review I greatly want to see what happens. I'm intrigued by the idea of a book that wants one to go into it knowing next to nothing... Also, I usually enjoy it when books are formatted oddly, unless it gets in the way of the actual story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I agree with Natalie here.
      I don't
      know what
      I'd think
      of the strange
      formatting.
      That's actually something I have to keep reminding myself /not/ to do in my own writing. Maybe it's not such a bad thing if it made it into a published and awesome book? XD (I'm totally looking for excuses).

      Delete
    2. I think the formatting worked really, really well in this story, once you get used to it. xD

      Delete
  11. Ooh yes wasn't this book glorious? I love love loved the formatting--it was really refreshing. I mean, I'd hate to see it in every book but every once and again it really does help bring a stronger effect.

    Lovely review, Aimee <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The formatting was weird for me at first, but I did grow to like it once I got used to the character's thought process and the style in general. It really did fit!
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read this book, but it sounds awesome! Definitely gonna put it on my TBR!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.