We Need To Talk About Gansey

10:12 AM




This is a fangirly post. I will not apologize for that.

Recently, I was forced pressed by several writerly/bloggy friends all at once to read Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys. I fought against this at first, because I'm a rebel and I don't tend to enjoy paranormal books most of the time (I love me some good hard sci-fi, really). But I really enjoyed The Scorpio Races and I'll admit, I was curious to see more of Stiefvater's writing, so I decided to give it a go anyway.

I am very, very, VERY glad I did.

Let's just say that I blazed though Raven Boys in a day flat, because I just couldn't put it down. Let's just say that I fell totally and completely in love with Blue and all of those raven boys. Let's just say that I'm hopelessly in love with Gansey, and rest assured, I don't usually adore fictional characters.

Last week, I finally picked up the sequel, The Dream Thieves. While I'm not quite as enamored of this one as I was of the first book, I still loved it to pieces. DANG, Stiefvater can write - her writing flows so beautifully, so subtly, so elegantly. Her characters are all real and vivid and relatable, and I swear you can almost taste her settings sometimes. I'm not always a fan of her slow plots and it's by no means perfect, but heck, it's pretty close.

And look at the pretty covers!

If you haven't read these books (why haven't you???), allow me to help you out.


5 Reasons Why You Need 'The Raven Boys' In Your Life: 

1. It's an absolutely intriguing concept. 

Seriously, this is the only reason you should need. It's all about Welsh kings and magic and it's set in Virginia and it's all absolutely lovely. 

So. Pretty. 

2. It's about friendship. 

Yes, there's some romance, but for heaven's sake, the one girl MC can't actually kiss anyone or, you know, he'll die. (This is not spoilers! It says so right off in the summary.) But mostly it's about Gansey and Ronan and Adam and Noah and Blue being friends, and it's absolutely perfect in every way. It's a book about friendship, deep down, and oh, how wonderfully that's handled, with all those deep relationships. I CANNOT. 



3. There is lots of sass, from everyone. 

Everyone likes a book full of wit. There's lots of feels in Raven Boys and Dream Thieves, but oh, all the boys (and definitely Blue!) help make up for it by being absolutely hilarious. The banter is so real and I'll confess, I laughed out loud several times in both books. THIS IS THE ONLY ARGUMENT YOU SHOULD NEED. GO READ THE BOOKS.

the raven boys | Tumblr


4. GANSEY. 


I'm thoroughly in love with all those raven boys, but Gansey steals the show for me. He's a leader, a loyal friend, adorable, strong, decisive, driven, everything I like in my YA protagonists. Stiefvater writes such incredibly deep characters, and I've been able to relate to Gansey a lot more than I thought I would in the beginning! But there's a character for everyone in Raven Boys. 

Why are you not reading it yet?  


My favorite Gansey quote. *sighs* 

5. It Will Give You ALL The Feelings.


Don't deny it, we readers like a good soul-crushing book, and the Raven Cycle does that so well. It's a little slow and a little subtle, but you get SO attached and then SO HURT. I CANNOT. STIEFVATER, WHY. 

I haven't even read all three books that are out (Blue Lily, Lily Blue is on hold, though) and I'm already crushed. I'm so not ready for this series to be over, but I am at the same time, because ughhhh I need my babies to be okaaaaay. 



So there you have it. All the reasons why you absolutely MUST pick up The Raven Boys, regardless of whether or not it's 'your kind of thing'. It's so totally worth it! Gansey is worth it.

You can find my review of The Raven Boys here and my review of The Dream Thieves here. They're slightly spoilery, especially the second one, but I think I've tagged most of the major stuff. 

What about you? Have you read any of the Raven Cycle books? Any other Stiefvater books? What are your thoughts? What other books do I need to read that will give me all the feelings? (Stay tuned for next Thursday, I'll be doing some recommendations and such and it'll be cool.) Comment away. 


10 comments

  1. I don't think I've heard of this series, but I'm very interested in reading these. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! *hands you all the books*

      Delete
  2. I'm on Blue Lily, Lily Blue right now, and I have to say: this is where Gansey really shines. Why is forbidden love so damn sexy???
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has read this and everyone thinks these books are so great so I need to read them but I'm not THERE YET. Gah. It sounds awesome, though; thanks for adding a little more in-depth analysis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE great! AND YOU MUST READ THEM HEATHERRRR.

      Delete
  4. I've heard so many wonderful things about Maggie Stiefvater's writing style, so I really want to read The Raven Cycle series. I love lyrical, subtle, elegant writing because it's just so beautiful, and I want my writing to be that beautiful. I also think that writing style is very effective for inducing major feels, and feels are obviously good.

    As for recommendations for books with feels, I shall recommend Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein. Those books are too good. I don't think a human wrote them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing is absolutely like that. It's so lovely asdfghjkl I cannot. It gets the setting and the feels and EVERYTHING across so well and you really need to read it. Yes.

      Ah! I've got Code Name Verity on my TBR, and I'm very excited about it. :D

      Delete
  5. I didn't know these books existed. *adds them to my list of books I need to read*

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.