Beautiful People: Return of the Pariah MCs

10:24 AM


Are you excited yet?

10928109_595959117172101_1450331761_n

I'm a little later in the month this time, but whatever. Once again I'm linking up with Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In for Beautiful People, a monthly linkup for writers to answer questions about their books/characters. It's incredible fun, and I always enjoy doing it, so go link up! 

This month, I'm doing Sachi and Ize. Because I'm cool like that and doing two at once.

If you haven't met Sachi and Ize, they're the MCs of my steampunk novel, Pariah. You'll get to know them pretty well again here, but I let them loose in this post so you can check that out too. 

(Here's their faces, too.)

You should get a pretty good idea of their lovely selves from the questions, but just in case...Sachi is an ESTP (yeah, I can't cut out the Myers-Briggs, apparently) Cockney street thief with a lot of sass. Ize is a sweetheart and also a mute assassin. There you go. I'll turn it over to... 



1. What is their secret desire?

Sachi: Well, you know, I'd want to...tell Elias (her bestest friend) some things...um...tricky things, you know. I don't know if he'd like it. I ain't so good with...feelings. (Oh, honey.) 

Ize: I'd want to be... *hides* I'd want to be a poet, actually. I've always wanted that. I think it would be amazing. But I'm not very good at it yet, and that won't really happen... (ISN'T HE JUST PRECIOUS) 

2. What is the best and brightest moment they experience during the story?

Sachi: Probably gettin' out of the clink, right at the start, and bein' able to live in the sun again and run wherever I'd like...yeah. That's lovely. (The fact that her favorite part is just the beginning should scare you. It scares me.) 

Ize: When...*blushes* When Scarlette stands up for me, and I'm sure she likes me. (Have you heard about Ize and Scarlette yet? Read about all the adorable shipping here.) 


3. What are the emotional places your characters are afraid to go to?
(I had to really bribe them and pry it out of them here. You're welcome.) 

Sachi: Admitting I need help is...pretty hard. I mean, I've got it most of the time, but sometimes...I just don't like bein' weak, ya know? Not like you'd care. *glares* 

Ize: ...Facing that my uncle's hurt me and I need to stand up to him - that I can stand up for myself, I suppose... that I can be independent and be all right. (*wails because backstory*) 

4. Is there a place/city/room where they will never go? Why?

Sachi: Oh, no. I ain't even been outta London before; I'd go anywhere, see anything so long as it was new. I'm not some kind of coward avoidin' places. 

Ize: *quietly* My old home - my father's house. I'm not welcome there, anyway, but I wouldn't go even if I could. Too many bad memories for that. 

5. If they were permanently leaving town, what would they easily throw out? What would they refuse to part with? (Why?)

Sachi: I'd get rid of everything - don't need it, right? - exceptin' Eli and my jacket. Those two, they stick around. I need Eli and I like the jacket, so I don't need much else when I move. I'm good at takin' care of myself like that. 

Ize: I don't have much to call my own, right now...I think I would take my journal, and that would be all. I would be glad to get rid of everything else; I wouldn't want those reminders once I moved on. If I could move on. *sighs* 

6. What do they want (consciously and tangibly)?

Sachi: Well, not bein' in prison would be nice. Or having my aeroplane all the way fixed and ready to fly so's I could leave London once in a while. Also not being though of as a murderer - yeah, that'd be real great. Not that being chased round by the coppers all day ain't nice. 

Ize: To be able to have a life other than working for my uncle, being an assassin...if I could just get out of that I'd be happy. It's not very fun and I'd like to have a real life. 

jess animated GIF
Meanwhile, what I want...
7. On the other hand: what do they need (on the emotional, subconscious level)?
This one I will answer for them, because they are precious innocent little babies and don't really know what they actually need. So. 

Sachi: She needs to start letting people in and acknowledging her emotions. Seriously. The woman has some major bottling-up issues. 

Ize: He needs to come to learn that he's not actually a terrible person, and he can be redeemed without having to do all these elaborate things. He needs self confidence and to stop loathing himselfffffff *sobs* 
Because I CAN. *evil laughter* 
8. If they could change one thing about themselves, what would it be?
Sachi: Me? I'm fine as is. Only I could do with more book learning. That might be useful - I can read all right, mind you, I'm not that thick, but all those numbers...it'd like knowin' easier how to work them for the aeroplane and such.

Ize: Not being mute would be nice. 

9. What is the most humiliating event of their life?

Sachi: *shrugs* One time I got roaring drunk and kissed Elias. (YOU CAN'T FOOL ME WITH YOUR CASUAL TONE, SACHI. I know you're blushing.) 

Ize: Oh, there's too many to count...*blushes* I was mocked for being mute and then tripped over my own feet right in front of Scarlette once, and had to be helped up by her, and that was awful... (Guys. I cannot even with him. I swear he's a hardcore assassin sometimes, really.) 

10. What things do they turn to when they need a bit of hope?

Sachi: I'll go do somethin' stupid and reckless with Eli. Something to make us laugh. Works, usually. Or I'll work on the aeroplane I'm fixin' up - it's still a mess right now, but it should be ready to fly soon, I think. And that'll be a real adventure. *grins* 

Ize: Books! Always reading. It's nice to know I'm not alone sometimes, I guess...if that makes sense at all. I haven't really got any other friends. 



And there they are, my precious MCs. What about you? Do you take part in Beautiful People? Want to see more Pariah in the future? Comment away. 


22 comments

  1. Your characters sound super awesome and I want to read your story.
    Yeah. That's it. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I'll be looking for betas in a few months, soooo... *winks* xD

      Delete
  2. Aw, I love Ize! He's my favourite. I think he'd get along with Hester, the selective mute MC from my story Hester Bliss. Well, I say get along...they can make cautious eye-contact with each other and sit quietly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, yes! I can totally see that. (Hester sounds adorable, by the way. I don't know why but he just DOES.) They'd have fun that way.

      Delete
    2. haha....Hester is a girl. I did a Beautiful People link-up on her, uh, last year, I think. She likes embroidery and quiet people. Thanks for your comment on my blog! (I'll be leaving a reply for you there as well) :)

      Delete
  3. Sachi and Ize seem so wonderfully fleshed out and awesome to read about! I can't keep Myers-Briggs out of my plotting, either. I have a bit of an ensemble cast right now, and I'm trying to make all of my characters different Myers-Briggs types, as well as balance out the extroverted characters and the introverted characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I should hope they're at least a little fleshed out by now, with all the work I've put into it. :) Myers-Briggs is a huge part of my plotting, and it's super fun.

      Delete
  4. I WANT TO READ MORE IZE. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU AS A BETA SO YOU CAN READ ALLL THE IZE.

      That is also all.

      Delete
    2. I WOULD LOVE TO BE YOUR BETA SO I CAN READ ALL THE IZE.
      (Is this all?)

      Delete
  5. love. love. love. WHHYY ARE DOING THIS TO US????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what I love the most is the unique voices and the way you write it so that I FEEL BAD EVEN THOUGH I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYTHING.

    So, feel free to keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was hoping their voices stood out enough...it's taken me four drafts to feel semi proud of it, haha.

      Delete
  7. Ize is an assassin. That's all I even care about. And I second what Heather said about the voices, especially the contrast between Sachi's feisty style and Ize's quieter tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he is. *nods darkly*
      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, they are just... I want to talk with them and hug them, and... I love them! (especially Ize) I wish I could read more!
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'M FREAKIN' IN LOVE WITH YOUR ADORBS MUTE ASSASSIN!!!!!! He sounds like the most perfect little cinnamon roll! *goes and sobs forever because I'll probably never get to read Pariah*

    -Musicgirl121

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.