Fictional Besties

10:42 AM


(Hey, guess what! I won't be posting next week, due to Fan Month - expect to hear more about that when I get back!) 




On Tuesday I talked about how connecting to the characters makes readers care about your story, so for today's bookish day it only seems fitting to talk briefly about some of the characters I relate to most myself.

I have a heart of stone. It's true. I have a hard time caring about characters, or empathizing with them - they'd better be written really well to get my interest. And it doesn't usually happen, but there are a select few - the Chosen Ones, dare I say it - who really grab on and don't let go.

I can use Elf gifs after Christmas if I want to. So there.
These lucky individuals happen to be:

David Charleston (Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson) 


Oh, my dear David. He's sweet and awkward and totally adorkable (that's a word I can use, right?). He's smart and logical and totally sucky at metaphors. He's human in a world of superheroes, and so very human at that, like he might jump right off the page. He's not all fun and games, but he's certainly hilarious - it gives the whole book an element of comic relief and down-to-earth-ness. I totally get his wonderfully blunt way of looking at things, and I'll admit, Firefight had me a little teary. 

Connor Lassiter (Unwind by Neal Shusterman) 


It's probably not good that I can understand and relate to Conner as much as I do - he's a temperamental little troublemaker. But he's brave and determined and sticks to his friends, and oh, that character development. Have I mentioned my undying love for Unwind? Because I kind of want to shove that book in everyone's faces so they can have the glorious feels too. Like David (and all the others on this list for that matter) Connor screws up and he's sarcastic and he's so totally human that how could you not love him? 

I just. 

Richard Gansey (The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater) 


This is a fairly new one! I read The Raven Boys and I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped several times. It's so very beautiful and stunning and deep, and Gansey is the best of it all. He's posh and elegant and yes, sarcastic. He's a good leader. HE'S GORGEOUS IN EVERY WAY. I love his quirky thought process, and it really gets to me somehow. 


Kaladin (The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson) 

The way of kings

This is an even newer favorite! Way of Kings is a huge epic fantasy, and I've just realized that two Sanderson characters have made it on the list but whatever. He's noble. He takes care of his friends - and, well, everyone, for that matter. His situation is absolutely sucky but he deals with it as it comes. He's pretty amazing with a spear. He's logical and coolheaded, and I really respect and get that. 

And I won't lie, the sarcasm is pretty amazing. 


Darrow (Red Rising by Pierce Brown) 


Do I even need to say that Red Rising is my favorite book of all the books anymore? Probably not. 

Darrow is my favorite character of all the characters, too. He makes impossible decisions. He puts up with a lot of absolutely horrific circumstances. He does a lot of terrible things. But he keeps his humanity. He keeps his sarcasm. He knows what he has to do and he does it. He's a little hotheaded, a little reckless (seeing a pattern with my favorites here?) and he screws up majorly a lot, but he's genuinely noble and loyal to his friends. And, for whatever reason, I've never been able to relate to character quite as much as I can relate to Darrow. 

*flailing* 

This is me. With all of them. 

It's just occured to me that the characters I can relate to most are all reckless, occasionally very hotheaded guys. I may need to rethink my life choices.


What about you? Which characters affect you the most? What endears them to you? Comment away. 


20 comments

  1. These all sound like amazing characters, Aimee. There's a ton of characters I love, but I'll only name a few of them because otherwise I would be sitting here typing out an obnoxiously long comment forever.

    I love Lucy from The Chronicles of Narnia because she has a lot of faith and confidence, and she has a wonderful imagination. I love Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit because he learns how to be courageous while still retaining his introverted side. I love Rose Red from The Tales of Goldstone Wood because she's selfless and optimistic even though she's in a horrible situation. I love Meira from Snow Like Ashes because she's courageous but also recognizes her own mistakes. And I love so many other characters, but I'll just stop here for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I could've gone WAY longer...I had to narrow it down to the (sort of) few I felt closest to. xD

      Ah, Bilbo! I LOVE him, and his character development, and just...well, he's really great, I agree. :) I haven't read the others (except for Lucy) but I think they're all on my list.

      Delete
  2. Ahh goodness, David. I love him. He gets better in Firefight, by the way.
    Also, Connor! I loved Unwind so much, the characters were just amazing and aksjfhkasjfhkasjhf
    *ahem*
    Quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doessss. xD I love, love, love the way he developed in Steelheart, and how that carries over to Firefight.
      Unwind <3

      Delete
  3. Ummm the character that I most relate to at the moment is Cath, from Fangirl. Because it takes one socially awkward person to know another one, right? We could be besties and ignore each other all day, and then turn to one another in states of blind panic as we overthink the most insignificant of situations. You know, for moral support!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I'm super excited about reading Fangirl! Being an extrovert, and a pretty loud one at that, I can't see myself relating too much to Cath at all, but it looks like a really sweet story.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of these books :/ But I do plan to! I have a cold heart as well, and I tend to get more invested in the story than the individual characters.

    Looking forward to hearing about your fan month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read them alllll. Just saying.

      I get more invested in characters, but it takes a lot, haha.

      Delete
  5. Umm...Anne of Green Gables? Ok, I feel so awkward putting this on here with all the awesome/sarcastic/wonderful fantasy people, but she's seriously my heroine. I honestly wish she actually existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't feel awkward! I loved Anne when I was younger, and I'm still rather fond of those books, even if I haven't read them in a while (and believe me, I read all of them. xD)

      Delete
  6. DO NOT RETHINK YOUR LIFE CHOICES. YOUR LIFE CHOICES ARE PERFECT. And stahhhhp you have given me Gansey feels and THAT'S IT FOR ME FOR THE EVENING. I SHALL BE ROCKING BACK AND FORTH AND CRYING AND HOPING MAGGIE STIEFVATER DOESN'T KILL HIM. The Raven King is going to huuuuuurt.
    Ahem.
    Darrow though. Also Connor. Also I need this Steelheart chap in my life PRONTO. I still haven't read any Brandon Sanderson! Whatever is wrong with me?!! GAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU FOR THAT I REALLY DON'T HAVE MANY REGRETS REGARDING MY CHOICES AT ALL.
      *rocks back and forth hugging Gansey* I will dieeeee if he dies. I will. I really will. Gansey is my most favoritest. *all the tears* I STILL HAVE TO READ BLUE LILY, LILY BLUE AND I AM AFRAID.
      You totally need David in your life. He's just your kind of character, I think, and I have allll the love for David. Gah.

      Delete
  7. KALADIN!!!!! The only other one of these I've "met" is David. And Darrow, sort of, but I haven't yet had the chance to finish his book . . .
    I agree with you on the sarcasm. Sarcasm rules. I find myself going for the highly intelligent/strategic characters with some deep hurt that they hide. But I also like characters who are REALLY different from me, such as risk takers. I shall point you to The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen. The main character, Sage, I think will fit right into this list. He's one of my favorites of all time. The wit. The secrets. *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kaladin! :D
      You should totally read the others. You'd like them. Just saying. ;)
      I'm a huge fan of the cocky risktakers if you hadn't noticed, haha. The ones that remind me of me. But they have to be intelligent. THIS IS A MUST.
      *adds book to Goodreads list*

      Delete
    2. Ordered it from the library. ;)
      I have a soft spot for them too . . .probably because they DON'T remind me of me. I'm like, "WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING THAT RISKY." And then they succeed and I instantly respect them. But yeah, without the intelligence factor I just view them as sort of foolish. :/

      Delete
  8. I think I have to read Brandon Sanderson now. Especially The Way of Kings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connor is the only one I recognize, but I know exactly what you mean. Like you, I haven't done anything to get myself arrested (see, here I am assuming that your record is clean but what do I know) (if you actually do have a criminal record you are embarrassed about I apologize in advance for being insensitive) but the fact that he holds on so tightly to the people and the ideals around him immediately makes him relatable to me. I love that guy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only know Connor and Darrow from your list but I yessss isn't Unwind amazing? I've been meaning to read more of Neal Schusterman's works except I don't have any time at the moment, which is a reaaaaal shame :( But yes, Connor is amazing xD

    Excellent post! <33

    ReplyDelete
  11. DAVID CHARLESTON!!! I love him! I love him so, so much!! *fangirl squeals* Plus, I relate to him, especially with all the terrible metaphors. It's like how sometimes when you sneeze, and then you realize it's just like when your dog sneezes. I don't know where I was going with that...

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.