Guest Post With Katie Grace - Keeping Track of the Books You Read

12:10 PM


Hey, so I'm totally springing a random post on you, but...as part of #FanMonth (which I have been participating in, despite having a busier week than I thought) I swapped guest-posts with the wonderful Katie @ A Writer's Faith!

*applause*

I posted over at her blog today, and her post is below, so be sure to visit both and give her some love!

And here she is: 

Before I start this post, I want to thank Aimee for allowing me to guest post on her blog! Her blog is amazing, so make sure to check out her other posts. :D


Keeping Track of the Books You've Read.jpg
Think of all the books you’ve read in your life so far. Think back to the early years when you were reading chapter book series such as the Boxcar Children. Maybe you weren’t an avid reader from the start. Maybe you were. Regardless, it’s a lot of books read. You’ve torn through hundreds, or even thousands of amazing(or not so amazing) stories.
But what happens when you’re older and a ten-year-old girl asks for book suggestions? You remember reading some awesome books around her age, but not matter how hard you try, you just can’t come up with a book to recommend.

Or maybe you just want to take a step back into the past and reread some childhood favorites.

Most people get married someday and have children. What if your child turns out to be an avid bookworm and devours books by the dozens?

And guess what? (if you haven’t already from the title of this post) There’s an easy solution to all these imaginary, but very possible problems.
Keep track of the books you read.
And here, I’m going to share some ways you can do so:

1. Goodreads.

Goodreads is an online community of bookish people and provides a very easy way to keep track of the books you read and your to-read list. It’s like Facebook for bookworms. How can it get any better?

Visit the website here: https://www.goodreads.com/

2. A Journal.

When my mom was younger, she wrote down all the books she read in a journal. This isn’t a particularly fancy way of doing it, but it works. And you get to use lists this way. Lists are pretty cool, peoples.

Also, apparently there are journals specifically for tracking the books you read. HOW AWESOME IS THAT? My mom received one from a friend for a birthday present, and I’m just a little bit very jealous.


((It might be hard to see the picture, so make sure to click on it to view it in greater detail))

Book Journal Collage.jpg

3. A Word Document. This is what I’m using right now for tracking my books. (along with Goodreads, but it’s good to have multiple options) Putting the books in a document is really quick, but also allows for numerous methods of personalization. Here are some ways I like to spice up the document:

  • Make genres different colors.
Example: Fantasy might be green, romance pink, historical fiction brown, and so on and so forth.

  • Highlight your favorite reads.

  • Write one-sentence reviews that will literally take less than a minute, but are super helpful for reminding yourself what you did and didn't like about the book.
Example: BEST. BOOK. EVER. Let me reread it over and over again and give it all my love. *flails*
Another Example: Writing was excellent, but the main character was unlikable due to her complaining.
Yet Another Example: (Note to self: This book is not worth reading again.)
And One More Example Because Examples are Good: I liked it, but felt like it would be better for younger readers.
  • Or if writing mini-reviews is too much, use a rating system. And since this is your document, you could rate it anywhere from 1 to 100. I think it sounds a lot better if you rate your favorite book 100/100 stars instead of 5/5, personally. xP


How do you keep track of the books you read? Do you use any of these methods? Or do you even keep track at all? Let me know!

If you’re interested in reading more of my ramblings, hop on over to my blog, A Writer’s Faith, where Aimee just happens to be guest posting. Make sure to read what she has to say about fictional besties!

Byeeeee!

- Katie Grace
Well, you heard her! Let's all give her a big round of applause for that wonderful bookish post. And chocolate. And hugs. And allll the blog visits. Have a great rest of the week - I'll be back on Saturday with a Fan Month recap! 

23 comments

  1. Thank you soooo much for having me, Aimee! It was really awesome working with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of my reading. Because I am epic.
    I love the idea of including a one-line review though - I usually just give it a vague star rating and then continue on my merry way. Thank you for the tip!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spreadsheets are also a very good way of doing it. Thanks for pointing that out. :D
      You are welcome. Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
    2. I haven't tried spreadsheets...hm. Maybe that would be worth looking into. I usually do one-liners on Goodreads, unless I really want to review the book.

      Delete
  3. Goodreads is my favorite way to track the books I read, but it does have its limits. For example, WHY IS THERE NO WAY TO TRACK REREADS?!? I reread books a lot, but there's no way I can keep track of when and how many times I reread a book on Goodreads. I suppose that's where a document could be of immense help. I love the color coding idea, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS THAT BOTHERS ME SO MUCH, TOO!
      Yup. That's basically the only reason (and the fact that I can personalize it a bit) why I am also doing a document on the side. I bet 2/3 of the books I read are rereads, so it's huge for me to have a way to track them.

      Delete
    2. I think there is a way to do it, but it's really obscure and you have to go looking for it...I don't remember where it is now. xD I love Goodreads but I think it's neat to have other options for things such as rereads, too.

      Delete
  4. @Ana There's an option to enter how many times you've read a book on Goodreads(it should be where you write a review, hidden under "more options") but I don't think you can enter the date for each read. But there's also a space for private notes, so I guess you could put dates read there. Hope that's helpful!

    I tried doing a journal once, but then I discovered Goodreads! It such a fun, easy way of keeping track of books read. Plus, it gives recommendations.

    I like the mini review idea for the document, though. And you could be so much more accurate with a 1 to 100 rating system! Sometimes I look back on books I rated in the past with the 5 star system and wonder....did I round up? Or down? Because it can make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 0.0 I never knew that, Ally. Thank you so much for the tip! :D
      Goodreads is quite awesome. It's so much fun to be involved in a bookish community.
      Yeah. I'm not entirely happy with the five star system. Because my favorite books are a five star rating, but then the books I really like are only four stars, which seems cruel. *sigh* I guess we'll just have to work with it.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I think I found that feature once, but then I lost it again, so thanks! xD
      I'm AWFUL at keeping journals personally, so Goodreads is really a lifesaver.

      Delete
  5. I have a spreadsheet on the computer that I use to track the books I've read, as well as a notebook to track books I've read, but that one's harder to use. Either way, these are great ideas to keep track of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this is SUPER organised. I don't do any of this -- well, I have Goodreads, but I keep forgetting to update it! I basically rely on my copies of the book -- there are so few good local libraries, so I either own it on my Kindle or physically. Maybe I should start a spreadsheet and colour-code to procrastinate my actual reading XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, when I first started Goodreads I never remembered to keep track of my books. Now that I've gotten quite a few friends from the blogging community on there, it's easier for me to remember.
      *cheers you on* Go, you! xD

      Delete
    2. Right? I update Goodreads religiously, but other than that...

      Delete
  7. I never kept track of my books in the past (maybe that's how all my books wound up missing XD), but since I started using Goodreads about a year ago, I've found it so much easier to keep track of what I have and haven't read, and it's also been a great tool to help me find new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodreads is quite helpful in that. :D
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. I use my journal, Goodreads, and Pinterest to keep track of the books I read. Keeping a record is oddly satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! It's crazy how small a thing can be so satisfying.

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.