The Cake Book Tag

1:12 PM


(Hey, guys! Somehow the beginning of Pariah won me 3rd place in Kingdom Pen's Begin Your Novel Contest. UM. So that's here and you can check it out if you'd like; just saying.) 

I'm stealing this from Cait @ Paper Fury, because I CAN and I also love cake and books very much. So there. Also, I have sooooo many books, so I think I'll name two for each catagory? Yes.


FLOUR
A book that was a little slow to start off with but really picked up as you went along 


















Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater has some of my favorite writing of all time (Maggie Stiefvater is the BEST writer, okay), and I was entranced from the start, but let's face it, it kind of drags for the first half. I really got intensely invested in the second half. 

Avalon by Mindee Arnett is sci-fi and spaceshippy and well, just awesome. But the first few chapters dragggggg and are a little infodumpy. Once you get past that? SCI-FI AWESOMENESS. 


Butter 
A book that had a rich, thick plot 

















Two from the same series, yes, but The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson have alllllll the awesome. Epic fantasy at it's finest, really - both these books are 1000+ pages long, but they're absolutely incredible. I just finished Words of Radiance and I've been fangirling copiously over the sheer awesome. 

Eggs 
A book you thought was going to be bad but actually turned out to be quite enjoyable 
















White Space by Ilsa J. Bick is technically horror, I guess? Which I didn't know when I picked it up, but oh, wow. It's INCREDIBLE, and when I say that I mean I gave it five stars, and I don't hand those out lightly. It's exciting and terrifying and everything I like in a good, fast-paced book. I'll need to read it again to understand it! 

Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson is about synesthesia, which is super cool, and also about mental wards most of the time, which is also interesting. It has a sci-fi twist, though, and I was totally in love with it. Definitely not what I expected when I picked it up randomly! 

Sugar 
A sugary, sweet book 


Apparently I don't read many of these at all. Cress by Marissa Meyer is all I've got right now, and that doesn't even count, technically. But it's a sweet and fluffy book to me, at least. So there.


Icing 
A book that covered every single element you enjoy about a book (Funny moments, action moments, sad moments, etc.) 
















I wonder what this says about me. 


Red Rising by Pierce Brown is my favorite book ever. 'Nuff said. It's intense. The character development is stunning. It's sci-fi. The writing is spot-on. The plot is twisty and leaves you gasping. I WILL TAKE ALLLL THE PIERCE BROWN BOOKS.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman is my other favorite book/series ever, for the same reasons. I JUST. 

Sprinkles 
A book series that you can turn back to for a little pick me up when you're feeling down 



The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale are absolutely adorable and happy and ugh, I just love them to death. Especially all the shipping. 

The Cherry On Top 
Your favorite book(s) of the year 



















Golden Son makes the top of the list hands-down. But you already knew that, didn't you? 

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater is one of my new favorites. *alllll the flailing* GANSEY AND BLUE AND ADAM AND NOAH AND RONAN AND THE FEEEELSSSS. 

So, there you have it. Thanks to Cait again for letting me steal the thing! *hands her cake* 


What about you? What's your favorite book of the year? How many books have you read this year? What are you reading now? Comment away.


17 comments

  1. I must read Avalon! I'm writing a sci-fi mystery in space on a spaceship, so it will totally count as research. I've also wanted to read The Stormlight Archive books for a while. As for my favorite books of the year so far, I don't appreciate the difficulty level of that question. I suppose my top four so far, though, have been Watership Down, Veiled Rose, Between Shades of Gray and The Innovators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds AWESOME. I do love my spaceshippy sci-fi, and there's not a whole lot of it, but Avalon's pretty amazing. Stormlight Archives blows everything out of the water, though - oh, goodness, I'm so in love with those books. And I love Watership Down!

      Delete
  2. I actually feel really bad because I've only read, like, two books on your list. But I just got Unwind recently so, yeah, I'm definitely going to be reading it soon.

    Also, I'VE WANTED TO READ CRESS FOR SO LONG but I'm kinda freaked because it is HUGE and I am very afraid of huge books.

    My favorite book of the year was probablyyyyy The Darkest Part of the Forest. But I also really loved The Young Elites and The Winner's Curse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I only just discovered a lot of these myself. UNWIND IS MY FAVORITE YOU HAVE TO READ IT.

      Ahem.

      Oh, but Cress is the best! *pushes it toward you*

      I have DPOTF in my possession now, actually....I'm super excited to read it.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, yes. Tell me what you think! :D

      Also, I tagged you for the Book Tag!

      Delete
  3. I guess I have to read Red Rising + Golden Son, then XD I really really love the Cake tag, to be honest -- just makes me hungry. (I really want red velvet cake now ...) And should I read White Space? I've heard so many good things about it, but again I'm a bit wary of horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DO. They're so, so wonderful and brutal and just ugh. SOo much love.
      I love the tag, too, hence why I stole it - it was super fun! Red velvet is my favorite. <3
      Yes you should! It's not completely horror...I mean, it's very gory and intense the whole way through, but it's more like... The Matrix/Inception/Inkheart with a side of horror. If that makes sense. xD I didn't think I would like it but I really, really did.

      Delete
  4. YUUUS TO MAGGIE STIEFVATER AND THAT IS ALL. Although now you're making me question my "no to White Space" decision. gah. When it came out, everyone was giving it like 2 stars and I thought "meh to that" buuuuut I love SO many of the same books you do. GAH. I NEED TO READ IT I GUESS. I like horror-esque books anyway.
    ZOMG I WANT TO TRY BRANDON SANDERSON TOO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALLLLL THE MAGGIE STIEFVATER. YAS. I think you should read White Space! I didn't have high hopes for it at all, but it impressed me SO much. YOU SHOULD TOTALLY READ IT YOU WILL PROBABLY LOVE IT AS MUCH AS I DID.
      And Brandon Sanderson's books are delicious. Just saying.

      Delete
  5. Congrats again on winning third place! That's awesome! Unwind! Cress! Lilo and Stitch! These things make me happy. I've only gotten through about sixteen books this year (I've been swamped) but still. I really like the cake tag, it's so funny, and who doesn't like cake, I ask you? lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! xD
      The cake tag is great - I love the whole idea behind it, and I was surprised at how quickly I could think of books that fit, hahaha.

      Delete
  6. I need to read The Raven Boys- I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I haven't read any of the books on your list :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally do! So much Raven Boys love. <3

      Delete
  7. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven has been my favorite read so far this year, which is really surprising because I'm usually not a fan of contemporary, but it's just one of those books that touch you in a deep way. I've only read nine books so far this year, but I'm looking forward to most of the books on your list, especially Red Rising and Ultraviolet.

    Precious @ Clockwork Desires

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that book out from the library right now! I'm soooo excited to get to it, because I don't really like contemporary but I have heard lots of good things about this.
      Red Rising and Ultraviolet are both incredible. Just sayin'.

      Delete
  8. *adds more books to my reading list*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did it too! Way of Kings made both our lists. :) Of course it did.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.