5 Totally Underrated Books

1:16 PM


There are some books that you find, read, and love - but no one else has heard of them. 


No more hope for humanity. 

It's up to you to educate the public about these hidden gems, which is not always easy. As someone who's often frustrated with this, I've compiled a list of books I think are underrated, so you all can go read them. 

You're welcome. 

The End Games by T. Michael Martin 

Goodreads 
A stunning brother relationship. Minimal romance. Good, unique zombie apocalypse. Realistic apocalypse. A relatable teenage MC. A totally interesting, new writing style that works super well. Alllll the feels.



Railsea by China Miéville

Goodreads 
Steampunk. Really, really bizarre steampunk. It's essentially an adaption of Moby Dick, featuring giant moles. Yeah, you heard me right.

It's pretty dang awesome.

Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker 

Goodreads
One of my favorite books of the year! It's a lovely read with a soothing but twisty Southern feel that really reminded me of home. It's also creepy as heck, but hey. I loved the characters and there were some amazing, supportive friendships between friends, siblings, and love interests. 


Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins 

Goodreads 
Seriously, why have so few people heard of this? I actually love it more than Hunger Games - it's dark, morbid, weird, and totally feelsy. Suzanne Collins is basically genius.

Avalon by Mindee Arnett 

Goodreads
I've mentioned this one several times before! It's slow to start out but it's one of the few real YA sci-fi books I've been able to find and it totally reminds me of Firefly - which is apparently where the author got her inspiration. I mean, teenage criminals in space. What other reason do you need? (Also, I got to do a writing workshop with the author and she's super cool.)



What about you? Have you read any of the books on this list? hat are some underrated books you think more I more people should read? Shout them out below, or maybe even do your own post about it. Comment away.


22 comments

  1. Oh my gosh. I was totally thinking about Gregor the Overlander when I saw this list. Our minds must be connected. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course. Great minds think alike. ^_^

      Delete
  2. These all look marvelous, The End Games jumps out at me. I wanna read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's really, really good.

      Delete
  3. those all seem very interesting. hmmm....I should check out that Firefly one. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. If you like Firefly it definitely has that vibe.

      Delete
  4. You're right, I haven't heard of any of these! However, I HAVE watched Firefly and so you get a big thumbs-up for the Jayne gif! (Okay, okay, I know. Good books, must read. No TV for Heather...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FIREFLY IS THE BEST THOUGH. Really.

      Delete
  5. Welllll ... I've never heard of these. Oops! Athough Beware the Wild's cover looks a touch familiar, perhaps I spotted a review somewhere before. I think I'll add that to my TBR, and Railsea, mainly by strength of their covers! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you have heard of them xD And huzzah! Read alllll the books.

      Delete
  6. Ooh zombie apocalypse looks interesting. Thanks for sharing this - I've always wanted to read Collins' lesser known books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you already like Collins you'll most definitely love this. It's amazinggggg.

      Delete
  7. I've haven't heard of all of these, but I think I put The End Games on my TBR a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw this! I hope you like it, when you get to it. :)

      Delete
  8. Ooh I quite like the books you've chosen here! Beware the Wild had such a strong Southern atmosphere and I loved how well the author portrayed it. :D

    Great list, girl! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I spent most of my life in the South and it made me so happy that it had that vibe. <3

      Delete
  9. I've never read any of these books, but some of them do look pretty awesome. As for underrated books that I recommend, I think everyone should read The Tales of Goldstone Wood. It's not a very well known book, but the people who have read it form such a close knit fan community with the author. Goldstone Wood just keeps on growing and growing with each book, and the plots are so deliciously complex. I honestly hope the series never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! I've seen that, and I'm pretty sure it's on my list. I do want to get to it soon.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read any of these but Railsea is on my TBR from the last time you mentioned it. xD I would add . . . "Void" by Rhiannon Lassiter. That is actually the title for the three books of her trilogy combined, but anyway . . . it was sci-fi and awesome and dystopian and YES.
    Plus, I tagged you for the Infinity Dreams Award here: http://writerandproud.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-infinity-dreams-award.html. Have fun with the questions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that and put it on my list immediately. I NEED IT. xD
      Thanks! *runs to see the thing*

      Delete
    2. Yes, you do. You must review it whenever you get around to reading it, because . . . well, I want to hear about your reaction to the ending. xD
      You're welcome!

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.