Camp NaNo Stole My Sanity (A Recap)

12:17 PM



There are only a few days left in this month's Camp NaNoWriMo, and my emotional/mental state is...iffy, to say the least.

This is pretty much how I've felt all month.

However! I'm right on target and unless anything weird happens I'll finish right on time, so there is that. I set out with a goal of 75k (I am a notorious overachiever) and right now I'm at 67,500, roughly. I THINK I CAN DO IT GUYS. 

*flails insanely* 

It's been exhausting. Between that, school, and a frankly insane amount of reading, I'm a teensy bit worn-out. This first draft absolutely sucks - but hey, I was prepared for that. However, I've learned a lot and I've had worlds of fun, so I'm going to recap some of the story stuff that happened this month for you guys. 

You're welcome. 

The WIP: Crimson Gods 


I made a sucky cover for reference. I'm sorry. 

A bit of a synopsis for you: 

Rune, the renowned Ring fighter, has finally lost a match.
Barely escaping with his life, he has left honor, dignity, riches, and a certain woman named Jalila behind, owing his life to a mere peasant by the name of Lake when the boy drags him from a heap of bloodied corpses. Surely surviving a slit throat is a message, a blessing from the gods - Rune must be called to greater things than this. 

Lake is the key back into the Ring, and back into honor. And surely honor will win back Jalila's heart. But training a boy to slaughter has its downsides; namely, Lake is developing extraordinary talents to rival Rune's own, and Jalila is not impressed. Rune falls deeper and deeper into a darker path with every attempt to earn redemption and respect, while watching Lake become the hero instead - and in the end, can the villain really win out for good?

This, as you may guess from my writing process, is not how it turned out. But that's basically it. It's been a month full of dark brooding and gladiators and whole tons of angst and some shipping thrown in there and lots of fabulous sass, and I've loved all of it. I mean, sure, as a first draft it's pretty awful - there's not much of a plot to speak of - but I've got a good foundation for someday editing. No regrets there. I'll be posting next week about what I learned exactly from this month, but here's what I learned from the story itself:


  • Fantasy takes a LOT of work. (This was my first venture into writing it and I think I'm a little traumatized, but overall pleased.) 
  • Worldbuilding is all in the little details. DO YOUR RESEARCH. 
  •  Swords are fun to research. Less fun is researching the kinds of damage they can cause to the human body. 
  • Gladiator angst is a wonderful thing. 
Also: don't ever write 75k in a school month. 




And finally...I will spam you with some quotes that happened, because it was pretty exciting. 

Stuff went down within the first few chapters. 


Remember Tash from my Beautiful People post? He's quite fabulous.


Some pretty lovely shipping happened. 


And the quote that popped into my head and inspired the whole story a few months ago: 



Are you participating in this month's Camp NaNo? What are you writing about? How's it coming along? Share below and do some gloating about what you love about your WIP. Comment away.


31 comments

  1. That first Jack Sparrow GIF just killed me haha. That was totally me throughout Camp NaNo like omgosh! and wow! Way to go on your WC goal! You got this! *gives you chocolate*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Just a mad rush of panic. xD
      Thank you! *accepts chocolate gratefully*

      Delete
  2. That Jalila quote is my favorite. Hands-down. Keeping her heart locked where not even she could find it? Awesome. :D

    75K is an insane goal for a school month. Good for you for getting it done!

    ~Schuyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite too...I do love them. <3

      Yeah, it is, but I'm not really very sane when it comes down to it. xD Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Your quotes are awesome especially the one that inspired the story. :)
    Your first venture into writing fantasy was traumatizing that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      And yeah, it was...in a good way, but still a shock.

      Delete
  4. Those two quotes are absolutely amazing! Congrats on your Nano journey --- I have yet to do a successful nano, but they're always in AWFUL months for me. Because between school, work, and moving I just don't have the focus left by the time I get home to sit down and write. I might just might do an ad hoc one just for myself. Or I'll consider the month of July (is that still the other month of camp nanowrimo?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've failed myself a couple of times. I'm surprised it's worked out so well this month! But I like to say that it's a successful NaNo if you wrote anything at all, so. :) And yes, the next one is in July - you should try it!

      Delete
  5. That word goal is simply sickening - kudos to you. I was not going to comment but I became entranced with your gifs (accurate) and your quotes (splendorous) and I thought I had to. I just finished my own NaNo at a measly 20,007 word goal. (Measly in comparison - for someone who hasn't actually written a word in years, I was surprised at how much my little characters had to say. Poor things. They have no idea what's in store, now that I've set the story in motion.) Anyway, I do believe I've found a new writer to stalk. (That's a high honor.)(No, it's not creepy. Or maybe it is. Whatever. It's still an honor. Be proud.)

    Ah, and fantasy writing can be terribly horrible but it's also horribly fun. Be comforted in the fact that a random stranger believes in you.

    -Anna

    (Sorry, I had to re-post this - my computer is doing crazy things to everything I write.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It scared me looking at it, but I decided to go for it anyway. xD And I have a lot of fun finding the gifs, too.
      Hey, that's a lot of words! And it's totally awesome. You did amazing. :) *cuddles your poor charries*
      Thank you! I'll take it as an honor.

      *is comforted* It's definitely new for me but I like it a lot.

      Delete
  6. *grabby hands* AIMEE I WANT THIS I NEED THIS I HAVE TO READ IT PULEASE. It sounds brilliant and snarky and different from anything I'd read or write. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL PUT YOU ON THE BETA LIST FOR SOMEDAY. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. You can do it! 75k in a month... that's impressive. As a first time Camp NaNo participant, I only did 40k and only just finished yesterday. I can't imagine doing 75k. And this book sounds absolutely fantastic! Plus, the cover is amazing. Truly. And yes, fantasy takes a lot of effort. And the worldbuilding, while the most tedious, is to me the best part. I started with fantasy, so I know the struggle. Those quotes... oh, they're amazing. I want to read Crimson Gods. Fantasy, gladiators, snarkiness... yep, definitely want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, great job! This is a hard Camp, what with school and all. Congrats for finishing! *hands chocolate*
      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. You. Are. Awesome. You can do the thing!!! I love your writing style. These quotes are brilliant, especially the Jalila one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mhmm. You have great advice about combing school and writing. Mind I mention that it is a terrible idea to try to keep up with blogging as well? I failed miserably on that part. -.-

    But you're doing an awesome job, and I must read this story someday. Okay? Gimmmeeee. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I try, but I'm not so great at handling it all, really. School is not going too hot right now. *shrugs*

      Thanks xD

      Delete
  10. Congrats on hitting the 67K mark, and I hope you are able to reach your goal by the end of the month! Either way, that's quite an accomplishment. I'm mightily impressed by all of your snippets—it sounds so profound and exciting. Is swashbuckling an okay word to use? I know it's gladiators and I might be under the influence of Captain Jack GIFs but it kind of sounds swashbuckling.

    That's just me.

    Anyway, I loved the quotes, and also the blood spatter on your cover, can never have too much blood spatter, and write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can too - just two more days to go. I'm unreasonably nervous. And thank you! Those are the best parts, obviously, and the rest isn't of quite that quality. *le sigh*
      Swashbuckling works - it gives me that feel too. xD

      Delete
  11. Your WIP sounds amazing! And so many words in one month! *claps* Perfect Jack Sparrow gif use :)
    I aimed for 10,000 words and passed it, but I then lost 2000 words (thanks Scrivener).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! *bows*
      And good job with all that writing! *frowns at Scrivener*

      Delete
  12. Are you A GENIUS BECAUSE AIMEE HOW DO YOU WRITE 75K A MONTH also I express my deepest sympathies for your schoolwork. Also there are some fabulous Captain Sparrow gifs here.

    ANYHOW. Back to the story. I love the slowly creeping fantasy here and the romance tempered with realism and selfishness and bitterness and basically everyone and SO. I can't wait to see more on this blog and I would love love love to read more of this, so if you ever need betas/CPs ... *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T KNOW I THINK I'M MORE OF A LUNATIC. And someone who sacrifices quality for quantity during NaNo, apparently. xD

      Thank you! I'm glad you like it. *adds you to list of betas*

      Delete
  13. The gifs! Especially the first. ;)

    Wow! This story sounds amazing! I'm liking it even more now. That's exciting that you're close to finishing the first draft. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just finished Camp NaNo yesterday! :D It was with a less insane goal of 30K. XD NaNoWriMo about killed me so I decided to do something a little easier. I applaud your bravery of 75K lol. In my novel, I love the characters. They're all unique and varied. Mor is fiery and a bit cold, but she's softy deep inside. Dina is kind and sweet, but she can hold her own. Claes is handicapped, but I just love his gentle nature. Faol is big and imposing, but he's noble and takes so much with grace.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! *gives congratulations chocolate*
      Oh, they sound lovely! *hugs them all*

      Delete
  15. BWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH AIMEE YOU ARE KILLING ME YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO EDIT THIS SO I CAN READ IT BECAUSE I AM CERTAIN I WILL DIE OTHERWISE. PROBABLY FROM HYPERVENTILATION.
    Seriously, I am actually sitting relatively still and quiet on my couch with my family but they have NO IDEA HOW MUCH I AM FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE ON THE BETA READER LIST YASSSSSSS. CALM DOWN. xD

      Delete
    2. I HAD BETTER BE. *calms down now*
      In other news, congrats on writing so much. xD

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.