Mini Reviews!

10:09 AM


I've never done this before, but Cait @ Paper Fury occasionally does mini-reviews and I am a notorious and shameless thief so that's what we're going to do today. So instead of just one review in this post, you'll get several tiny ones!


These are all books I've read within this month - I wanted to review alllll of them so I'm going to attempt to do that, with a hopefully short paragraph about my feelings for the book and a gif at the end to describe my feelings overall. Let's get right into it! 

The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 

Goodreads
Okay, so I finally got around to this and it was an absolutely pleasure to devour. Bizarre sci-fi! Towels! Aliens with bad poetry! Random whales! I'm really not sure what to do with all that gibberish, but it had me laughing out loud several times. I wasn't hugely invested, but I need a good light funny read every now and then. Four stars of awesomeness.

I used this gif the other day too but whatever. 

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak 

Goodreads 

So I didn't like The Book Thief (Yes, I know, don't hurt me) and thusly didn't have high hopes for this one either, but it looked like it might interest me more so I decided to give it a chance. Oh mah goodness, I was surprised in the best possible way. The writing felt tighter and more alive to me, there was no illogical Death narrator, and it gripped me the whole way through. I actually really really loved our MC Ed and his journey, as well as the other characters. The whole thing basically had me in tears from start to finish. Also: that writing. Just stunning. Five stars for ripping my heart out with a fork. 

THEY WERE ALL OVER THE PLACE. 

Wolverine and the X-Men (graphic novel series) by Jason Aaron

Goodreads 

I just recently got into Marvel comics and this is definitely my favorite series so far! I adored Jason Aaron's Wolverine collection, so naturally I had to pick this up - it's all about Wolverine finding himself as the headmaster of a new school for mutants, and the ensuing chaos is lovely. Wolverine has always been my favorite and his development here is wonderful, not to mention the cast of other...colorful characters. It's laugh-out-loud funny, intense too, and I really like the art. Five stars for mutant epicness. 


Unhinged by A.G. Howard

Goodreads

Ohhhhh dear. I wanted to like this book, I really did! I wasn't the hugest fan of the first book, Splintered, but I liked it enough to keep reading. This kind of broke me. You see that guy on the cover? That's Morpheus. He's a psychotic, very insane creep who tries to tell our dear protagonist how she feels about things and that she should love him. Rightfully, she does not, but then we're supposed to feel sorry for him??? It gave me a very Warner-from-Shatter-Me vibe and that's not okay AT ALL. It's not attractive, it's disturbing. It kind of ruined the whole book for me. Two stars for a stupid protagonist and a creepy love triangle thingy. 

I can't believe I've never used this before. 

Orleans by Sherri Smith 

Goodreads

This one goes on my list of 'books I thought would be fun but then ripped my heart out.' This is a long list. I thought it would be your typical apocalypse book, but hey, I like those every now and then. Then I started reading. THE FEELS, MAN. This books is deep. It's thoughtful. It's depressing as heck. It's got a pretty awesome setting and a premise that actually kinda makes sense after a while. It has no romance but a pretty amazing friendship and both of the MCs are awesome. Like, I just wanted to hug this book. And then buy it because it's everything I love and oh, that ending made me cry. Four stars of feels. 


A lot of good books! Yay! What about you? What's your favorite book you've read this month? What books are you excited to read? Have you read any of these books? Comment away. 


22 comments

  1. I've never read any of these, but Orleans sounds severely cool, and epic. A dystopia with no romance? MY PRECIOUS. *grabby hands*

    That octupus GIF is pure awesomeness. ^_^ Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS severely cool. I needed it in my life. *hands it to you*

      Delete
  2. Haha this is amazing! Love the GIFs. I've always wanted to do mini reviews but didn't wanna steal them from Cait...Is it still stealing if I stole the idea (that you took) from you? Probably is, huh? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hitchhiker's Guide sounds hilarious. :) I'll have to read it. Also, I love it's accompanying gif. (Good gifs are worth using more than once. ;)

    I'm still uncertain about I Am the Messenger. I loved The Book Thief, but I have the feeling that Messenger is going to be completely different. Though different isn't bad. . . Agh! I'm undecided. We'll see.

    Unhinged. . . Yes, I loved and hated Splintered. The world of the story is amazing. But the love triangle- Why?! I do want to read the trilogy all the way through, at least to see what kind of character development the protagonist has. (I hope she gets a brain of her own. . .I know that sounds harsh. But please!)

    Orleans sounds fantastic! Friendships and no romance? I must read this rare gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it IS. I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked it up, haha. But it's a great light, funny read.

      That's kinda what I thought, too...it's totally different, but very good in my opinion. (although, I speak as someone who disliked Book Thief and was fond of the difference, so.) I'd give it a shot, though. :)

      Ughhhh yes. I'd like Alyssa a lot more if we maybe got rid of both the guys?

      Delete
  4. Ooh, Orleans looks awesome! And that Josh Hutcherson gif is perfect. XD

    Right now I'm reading All the Bright Places, and...I don't know how I feel about it. I really want to like it, but it's super depressing so far. Does it ever become more hopeful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, All the Bright Places. I thought it improved and got better along with being tragic, but that might just be me. It's definitely a lovely ending, though.

      Delete
    2. Okay. I just wanted to make sure the ending was worth it. I like it, but TOO MANY FEELS RIGHT NOW.

      Delete
  5. I want to read 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. The only book on this list that I have read was, 'Unhinged' and I wanted to like it too, but I don't think I will be finishing the series. I hate love triangles and Morpheus does come off super creepy, and I think YA is teaching girl's that unhealthy relationships are fine, and that is not okay. I do think A. G Howard is an amazing writer and her world was cool though. So I couldn't actually hate the books. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss. I love the world and the idea and her writing is very good; I just wish she'd chosen a better sort of message and had a better love interest. *growls at Morpheus*

      Delete
  6. Ahhhhhh Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxxyyyyyy I loved that book.
    I have never read any of the other ones, but they sound really good.
    Not Unhinged though, that just sounds weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad and I read Hitchhiker out loud to each other a few years ago... It was funny, but I think I cherish the memory of getting to read with him more than I do the book itself... <3 I do so love my Dad.

    Anyway, these sound like some pretty interesting books you're sticking your nose into! I would say that my favorite book I read recently was called "The Dirty Parts of the Bible." An adult book, to be sure, but still... It was a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that sounds like a lot of fun! It seems like it would be a good book to read out loud with someone. It certainly made me laugh and run to read parts to people a lot of the time. xD

      Delete
  8. I want to read I Am the Messenger so bad! And I really enjoyed Orleans when I read it.

    I love the octopus gif xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldddd. It's rough, but so, so good. I'm glad you liked Orleans, too!

      Delete
  9. I really want to read The Hitchhike'rs Guide to the Galaxy. At first, I was thrown off by all the gibberish wackiness of the story, but I've heard that it's really good. Just because something is over the top and quirky doesn't mean it's not a good book.

    ...And sadly I have not even finished one book this month because I have been mostly invested in Camp NaNoWriMo and schoolwork the whole time. I'm 4k from 50k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt about it! I'm not a ridiculous-gibberish-book kind of person. I ended up enjoying it a LOT more than I thought.

      Aw, that's okay! You're doing AWESOME with Camp. :D

      Delete
  10. NO NO YOU'RE NOT ALONE I DIDN'T LIKE THE BOOK THIEF EITHER!!! Oh, thank goodness I've found another person who feels the same as me, as I'm so sick of being that person that didn't get what the fuss was about *wipes brow* Oh, I loved I Am The Messenger as well!! Ed was adorable ;')

    AND OMG WE BOTH AGREE ON UNHINGED AS WELL!! I think I've found my bookish twin, honestly!! x)) I didn't like Morpheus in Splintered but in Unhinged, I HATED HIM. Such a creep. :/ Have you read Ensnared yet?? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have! I want to know what you think of that ending!!

    New follower via GFC and bloglovin!

    Ella @ Once Upon a Bookish Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE ARE ACTUALLY TWINS. YES. I haven't read Ensnared yet but I probably will soon...I'm a little put-off by the series in general now. xD

      *runs to check out your blog*

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.