Age of Ultron Review/Flailing Session

1:02 PM


Hey, guys! I put together a survey to figure out stuff for the summer, and it would be pretty awesome if you could fill that out. It's right here and I swear it's short. I'll give you chocolate if you finish. And cake. And...well, you'll see if you fill it out.

Fair warning: I'm avoiding important spoilers because I'm a nice person, but I'll be discussing the plot to some extent, obviously. I couldn't get spoiler tags to work so I left out major things entirely. You're welcome. 



A brief summary: 

When Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) jump-starts a dormant peacekeeping program, things go terribly awry, forcing him, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and the rest of the Avengers to reassemble. As the fate of Earth hangs in the balance, the team is put to the ultimate test as they battle Ultron, a technological terror hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they encounter two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff.

Avengers: Age of Ultron. 

This is a short review because it only recently came out and I'm not up to discussing it in detail, but I just had to talk about it. I've been waiting for this movie for ages, being a huge Marvel fan (didn't know that already?) and I was worried it would disappoint. After all, it's huge. It's epic. It's intense. There's a lot of things that could go wrong. 

To be fair, I think some did, but it was pretty dang amazing. 

Basically me on the way to the theater. 
Very quickly into the movie, I realized this was going to be awesome, not to mention everything I love about Marvel. Superheroes with some of the best one-liners ever? Steve Rogers? Friendship? FEELINGS? It was all of those things wrapped into one big ball of explosive epicness. 

Look at me, being all professional and review-y. 

(Like I said, there may be minor spoilers.) 

Things I loved with all my heart and soul: 

The humor. Sure, this movie is dark. And intense. And depressing. And rips your heart open with a dull fork because FEELS. But, like all the Marvel movies, Age of Ultron does not disappoint in the witty-remarks field. There's one running joke especially that had me chuckling the whole movie. The Avengers are hilarious. Not gonna lie. 

Hawkeye. Okay, guys. We need to talk about this. Hawkeye/Clint Barton has been one of my favorite Avengers for a long time, and this only confirmed it. He's a normal guy in the world of the Avengers, trying to fight off an army of robots with a bow and arrow. He's sarcastic. He's funny. He's pretty hardcore. And Age of Ultron showed this off perfectly, which makes me happy. New favorite Avenger, right here. 

Just look at the fabulous. 
Ultron. Now, I'm not the hugest fan of Loki. Don't get me wrong, I liked him okay as a villain, but the fandom kind of ruined him for me. Ultron, however, is one of my new favorite baddies ever. He's disturbing as heck. He's terrifying. He's a real problem. 

He's also really, really fun to watch. 



Quicksilver/Pietro Maximoff. GUYS. I was curious about the addition of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in this movie, and not only was I not disappointed at all, I was also thrilled. They have an adorable sibling relationship, and Pietro especially totally won my heart. SEND HELP. 

THE SASS. *clutches heart* 

A lot of things. The whole movie left me flailing. I CANNOT EVEN. It was glorious. However...

Things I'm not so obsessed with: 

Black Widow. What was up with her? She felt a little...off the whole movie, much less like the amazing Black Widow we all had so much respect for in The Winter Soldier. I mean, she had some hardcore scenes here, but it felt like she was a little less awesome and a little more out-of-character than usual. *shrugs*

Also (minor spoiler) she kind of got shoved into a ship that I'm not really a huge fan of yet, and it felt very random and didn't necessarily need to be there. So we'll see where that goes, but it was weird. 

Although, we did get some backstory stuff, and GAH. My heart. So good. *flails*


She was still awesome, though.

Some of the pacing felt off. Maybe that's just me, but it felt a little weird. Too fast in some places and too slow in others. Again, maybe it was just me, but it was slightly weird and off-putting the whole movie. It's not hugely important, though, if you get wrapped up in the characters like I did. 

THE THING THAT HAPPENED. THE FEELINGS. You know what I'm talking about if you've seen the movie. Feel my pain. 

Overall, Age of Ultron was an incredible movie. 

Sure, it has its iffy bits, but I was awed the whole way through. It's beautifully done and has my new favorite villain ever. SO MANY FEELINGS. 



What about you? Have you seen Age of Ultron? Do you want to? Who's your favorite Avenger? Comment away. (And don't forget to keep spoilers out of the comments and fill out that survey for me, pretty please.) 

30 comments

  1. Okay, did ANYONE like the BW-HBB ship? I didn't. O. Williams didn't. That was strange--I felt slightly uncomfortable.

    "You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

    I pretty much died at that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure no one liked it. *shrugs* I can see myself getting used to it, eventually, but you're right, it was uncomfortable at first.

      That whole joke was AMAZING. Our theater was dying laughing.

      Delete
  2. I filled out your survey!
    I have to admit I did not like Age of Ultron, but I still agreed with all the things you liked and didn't like about it. Humor wins. HAWKEYE RULES. Ultron was (can I say it?) cute. (And I KNOW the whole Loki thing. I love him AS A VILLAIN who is cool and funny, but I get so annoyed with the fandom that I don't count myself as one of them.) I like Pietro, though I don't get all the hype about him...he didn't get me flailing. I actually liked Scarlet Witch better *ducks hurtling missiles*.
    And no, it's not just you, the pacing felt off to me, too. And I hated /The Ship/. I hardcore ship another ship with Black Widow, which Age of Ultron messed up on both sides, and therefore refuse to accept this movie as canon. (Angry we are, yessss precioussss.)
    As I said, I really hated Age of Ultron, but mainly because it tore my world (and my ship) apart and left it bleeding in the dust. And I felt like nearly everyone was out of character. Otherwise, it would have been awesome. Maybe I'll eventually cool off and like it anyway. :)
    Wow, sorry for the reeeeeeaaaally long comment. I needed someone to rant to. I'll leave now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I can see (and respect) someone not liking it, so don't worry, no hate whatsoever here. :) I do agree with you on all points -- I liked Scarlet Witch a lot, but I am more of a Pietro kind of person. It was disappointing for a lot of people and shattered a lot of expectations, but I didn't have a lot of the same ships and expectations as the rest of the fandom, so I didn't mind.
      Thank you for the long comment! I love those. :D

      Delete
  3. This. This is perfect. Just... THE THING. THE THING THAT HAPPENED. I SAW IT THE DAY IT CAME OUT AND I AM *STILL* NOT OKAY. I just... MARVEL YOU RIPPED MY HEART OUT WITH A BLUNT KNIFE AND THEN STABBED IT A FEW TIMES FOR GOOD MEASURE... kay, sorry, I'm done... But... I'm just sitting here in this bubble called 'denial'. Feel free to join me, anyone.

    And yes... HAWKEYE. He's always been my favorite Avenger because he's an archer (I am as well) and he's just... he's awesome, okay? But in this movie... he's the most normal out of all of them, and I love that. He's just a normal guy who has a family and everything and just... so much respect for this character. I love him so much. X_X Especially in this movie, WHERE HE FINALLY GOT THE AMOUNT OF SCREEN TIME HE DESERVED.

    And the humor in this movie was great. So great. I love that despite how dark it is, they still put all these funny moments or one-liners in there. AND ULTRON. I'm a avid Loki fan, but like you said, the fandom is slowly ruining it for me... SO ULTRON. He was downright *terrifying*. Just... ahhhh.

    The Twins. I... I was excited for them the moment I heard they were in the movie, but I did not expect to walk out of the theater loving them as much as I did. I absolutely adore them. SO MANY FEELS FROM THESE TWO OKAY.

    Also... I AM SO GLAD THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T LIKE BLACK WIDOW IN THIS FILM. She was okay in Iron Man 2. She was pretty great in Avengers. I absolutely loved her in The Winter Soldier. But this movie... gosh, she kind of annoyed me. And the whole Bruce/Nat pairing... WHERE DID THIS COME FROM. Like, no. How did she go from 'Love is for children' to 'I adore you'. Meeehhhhh.

    I am sorry this is such a long post. I needed to rant to someone. But this basically put to words my feelings about this movie exactly. *loves this post to pieces*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE THING HURT ME. *flails* I still cannot even. Helpppp.

      Hawkeye was GREAT in this movie. I actually loved the twist with him, and all of that -- it was so SWEET and I just wanted to hug them all. xD I'm so glad he had a whole movie of actual screentime/lines. Where is the Hawkeye movie????? I'd pay to see that.

      And yeah, I thought Natasha was way out of character at times, which confused me a bit, but eh.

      Delete
    2. I'd help but I still cannot even either.

      I want a Hawkeye movie so badly. I want to see him before he was with the Avengers, and heck, before S.H.I.E.L.D even. I also want to see Mockingbird and Hawkeye in a movie together - that would be a history I want to see explored.

      Yeah. Stop ruining her Marvel.

      Delete
    3. I WILL PERSONALLY FUND THE HAWKEYE MOVIE.
      *hyperventilates*

      Delete
    4. SAME. I NEED IT LIKE I NEED AIR.

      Delete
  4. Okay, I'ma do the survey and I just skimmed the post because I already got all the spoilers I wanted and so I will come back to this later when I have read it. It's like, I want to know what you wrote, but my heart isn't ready for this right now. But at least you're getting a survey out of the deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine with me. xD I totally get it. Thanks for filling out the survey!

      Delete
  5. I saw it! It is amazing!

    I love how we get to see how normal Hawkeye is. He's very relatable. He even has a family. The only thing though is that with all the build up around his family made me think that maybe they were going to be found and hurt or something.

    I do like Ultron as a villain. He's almost human, which makes he almost relatable. I think that's why he's so scary. But I think the main reason he's so scary is that he's very calm and logical about what he believes and if someone really paying attention he could easily persuade them. He's rationality as a villain is just chilling when what he's try to do is revolting.

    Eh, yeah. The ship didn't work for me either. I like both Hulk and Black Widow. But separately.

    And why did Bruce listen to Tony the second time around? Just, was he not paying attention to the first half of the movie?

    I really, really liked Quicksilver. And I'm sad now. :(

    But the humor! Marvel humor is the best. :)

    By the way, I tagged you in my last post. I might have already told you though...I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I loveeeed that aspect of it, and I was so glad they did that, because I've never particularly shipped Clint and Natasha. xD

      ULTRON WAS AMAZING. His lines were so great, not to mention his terrifying rationality. Goodness, I was just so pleased with it. As much as I wanted him to lose.

      *shrugs*

      Delete
  6. I loved it, I knew I would, but I also had problems with it too. Hawkeye was awesome, he is my favorite too, and I loved that he had a family, but I couldn't help but think it would've made more sense if he and Natasha were a couple. I was convinced they were a ship in the first Avengers. Either way though it was cool, couldn't stand the Hulk/Black Widow thing. Ultron was great, I was a fan of Jame's Spader who voices him, he is amazing in the Blacklist.
    Overall it was great, but there were a few let downs.The twins made everything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. Although, I always liked Clint and Natasha as just friends, but that's just me, and I can get people shipping them. It's just not for me. Otherwise, I really feel the same. Amazing, but with some letdowns.

      Delete
    2. I like them more as friends now, because Hawk eye's family is perfect, and them being best friends was great. I just really hate that they almost made it seem like Natasha had to have a love interest, please just let her be awesome.

      Delete
    3. Yessss. I mean, she's awesome enough on her own! I loved the whole "love is for children" speech and it didn't make much sense to try and throw her into a romance unnecessarily.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen it yet! How disappointing. :( I liked your review, though, and I'll keep your points in mind when I do watch it so I can pick up on it. Someone told me about Hulk/Black Widow. It's weirdbecause all I can think about it that scene in the Avengers when she has to talk to the Hulk in India and there's so much tension. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you like it! It really is an enjoyable movie. And yeah, I remembered that, too...I can see it happening, it was just kind of a shock.

      Delete
  8. PIETRO THOUGH. PIETRO. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

    I totally agree, Black Widow felt off. There were these flashes here and there, like when she tricks someone and pushes said someone down a pit (you know what I mean too), but on the whole she seemed less "I have had ENOUGH of your moronic tendencies".

    ULTRON WAS FAB. SO WAS VISION. OHHHH, and Hawkeye. MUCH better this time round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PIETROOOO. ALL THE TEARS. I was so upset. Gosh.

      Right? I was all ready for some kind of hardcore Black Widow, and yeah, she was, but I wasn't terribly fond of the way she was done in this movie. It was super disappointing.

      VISION. I LOVED VISION.

      Delete
  9. Pietro stole my heart as well. I saw Age of Ultron just after it came out and I'm still asdfghjkl about all of it. I agree that the Black Widow and Hulk thing was just weird and I was sort of squirming in my seat. But the rest of the film totally made up for it.

    THE FEELS ARE REAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flailinggggg*

      Pietro is the best. And the most painful. 'Nuff said.

      Delete
  10. Isn't anyone going to talk about Andy Serkis? He totally won me over when he offered the twins candy. And he was really boss as well.

    I really liked the movie but I'm a Clintasha shipper so I was really crushed when that ship went under. I thought it was canon. *sob*

    I will get over it.

    And the twins balanced out the disappointment. I loved both of them so much. It's Marvel so... *whispers* nobody dies.

    And I want to add, I love your blog, especially the writing tips and reviews. Every time you update I have to rush over and check on it. Don't worry, I'm not a creepy stalker, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he was GREAT. I laughed so hard during that scene, intense as it was. The candy was such a Marvel touch. xD

      The twinsssss. The feelingsssss. *flails*

      Awww, thank you! <3

      Delete
  11. Thanks to you I'm having my own flailing session over here BECAUSE AGE OF ULTRON AND HAWKEYE AND THAT ONE RUNNING JOKE AND THE TWINS.
    I felt a little overwhelmed coming away from the theater, thinking about giving a review on this incredible movie, and so I didn't. Thanks to you I don't have to anymore. You hit the nail on the head! This is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hawkeye. *nods* Hawkye is epic. His comment about shooting robots with arrows made me laugh out loud.
    Pietro Maximof. What am I supposed to say about him other than that he was absolutely cool and clever and awesome. Also that I may be fangirling over him. right now. I also really liked his sister.
    Yes, I really liked this movie!
    The one thing I remember not liking was how they had Captain America swearing. Like, really? His clean language was what made him, him. It was part of the charm, that even with all of the sailor mouthed, foul behaved people around him, he was still clean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Age of Ultron even better than the first movie. The characters got soooooo deep. Lol Ultron is disturbing as heck. That is pretty much the best description of him. XD The characters really came out in this movie and it was so cool to see Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Vision on the silver screen!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. *screams because the thing*
    I loved Age of Ultron (I know I'm late ;_;) so so much but oh my gosh the entIRE THING AH.
    I loved Quicksilver and his sister whose name escapes me right now.
    Also I will admit that in my middle school days I was a huuuuuge fan of Loki. I was all on the "He's misunderstood" train.
    Now, and I stole this off some post somewhere (*forgets the source*) I'm just like "Cool motive, still murder." I think he's a good villain, but yep.
    *flails because the whole movie*

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES THE THING!!!! AAAGGHHH!! WHY, MARVEL, WHY???!!!
    In more coherent words, YES, THIS MOVIE WAS FANTASTIC! I was in love the whole way through (except for that unnecessary ship). I mean, the action, the charries, the SASS!!!
    Pietro, Hawkeye, and either Cap or Wanda were probably my favorite characters. The beautiful sass and sarcasm of those first two, though. I adored it.
    Also, I nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers award. Here's the post for that: http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2015/05/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.