Beautiful People: In Which I Interrogate Elias

8:00 AM


10928109_595959117172101_1450331761_n

It's time for Beautiful People again! If you didn't know, Beautiful People is a linkup done by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In, and it's all about characters, my most favorite thing. It's super fun and I've been participating for several months now, so you should definitely go investigate that.

This month, you're going to meet a character from my WIP Pariah, someone that I haven't introduced to you yet. (You can meet the MCs here and the main OTP here, if you're interested.)


This is Elias Whittaker. 

He's the best friend of my MC, Sachi. He's also a street thief in the London slums, a brilliant mechanikal inventor with all kinds of nifty gadgets he scraps together, and a professional sulker. He's a Myers-Briggs ISTP with a bit of an anger issue and a grumpy outside but a sweet cuddly inside. 

He's kind of adorable. 

He's really not one for talking, but I've dragged him here today to answer questions for you all, so lucky you. I'll force the answers out of him somehow. 




1. Do they get nightmares? If so, why or what of?

(*pokes Elias until he answers*) 

Oh, fine. Don't dream much, or remember it really, (liar) but it's usually about somethin' like...well, being trapped somewhere. Or falling. I don't like heights much. 'S never much fun, those dreams. Not like I have them oftent.

2. What is their biggest guilty pleasure/secret shame?

I like to draw, I guess. You know, sketches of people, mostly. People I know and people I see on the street and all in-between. But no one knows that; they'd just laugh. 'Specially Sachi. So I keep it secret. I wish I could do it more, though. It's kinda relaxing. (Oh, you precious child.) 

3. Are they easily persuaded or do they need more proof?

You learn not to trust people in London, y'know. Takes a lot of proof before I'll believe something, unless I know them well. Like Sachi, or someone like that. Mostly Sachi. Not many other people tell the truth most of the time. And I don't like bein' easily persauded, anyway...I've always been stubborn. Drives people crazy but I play it safe like that. 

4. Do they suffer from any phobias? Does it affect their life in a big way?


Heights, mostly. But I ain't that scared of them. Just can't go up on roofs. Or think about it. Or even think about one of those big airships, bein' way up there and looking down at the city...but it's not that bad. I've only been sick once.

5. What do they consider their “Achilles heel”?

I'd say I don't got one, but you wouldn't believe me. 

I'm a little too angry sometimes, and it's too easy to get me there. Like everything explodes and I can't think but with my fists. It's a problem and it's gonna get me in trouble again one day. Probably soon. It's real bad and nothing but trouble, but I don't really know that I want to stop it. Comes in handy sometimes. 

6. How do they handle a crisis?

Oh, that's my speciality. Well, me and Sachi's speciality. We're good at crisises. I usually do what she tells me and try to keep a cool head about it -- if I lose it it's all over, but as long as I keep that down I'm your man. I'm usually good at knowing what to do and getting it done before I start to worry. And I don't usually lose my temper. Unless someone's being stupid about it.

7. Do they have a temper?

Oh, yeah. 

It's a problem. I can't really help it, it just blows up in my face every now and then and someone gets hurt and I come back to myself soon enough. Don't take much to set me off, though. Sachi says I've got a short fuse. I'm working on it. 

8. What are their core values and/or religious beliefs?


Don't really care much for religion, personally. I mean, it's never done anythin' for me. Mostly I believe in taking care of yourself and getting by however you can so long as you're decent enough. That's helped me more than anything else. *shrugs*

9. What things do they value most in life?

Sachi, mostly. Good friends are hard to come by and I don't have much else I can really count on that won't wear out. I take care of her and she takes care of me and it works out all right, for the most part.  ('good friends'. Please.) 

There's my revolver, too. That's important. 

(Priorities.) 

10. What is one major event that helped shape who they are?

Well...I don't talk about it much, but I guess I'd better here. A couple of years ago I had a little sister, yeah...she was always sick, but we don't got much money in the London slums, so I had to go out and try to steal some medicine one winter when it got real bad. They caught me for it and by the time I broke myself outta prison...

So after that I got real good at the whole stealing thing, so I can get what I need for people now. And I ain't gone near there, or told anyone about it since. 

(It's also made him very bitter and not easily willing to trust people. *le sigh*) 



This is me, reacting to Elias. Because he's adorable and gives me joy. I'll let him go now, since he's probably sulking about having to talk for so long, but there you have it! 

What about you? Did you do the Beautiful People linkup? Be sure to put in a link to your post below. 

18 comments

  1. I like this character. He sounds awesome. O_o You keep posting stuff about Pariah and I want to read it so badly now. It sounds like an awesome book. You better intend to publish it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwhahaha. That's the plan at some point, hopefully. xD

      Delete
  2. Can't wait for Pariaaaaaahhhhhh ...
    Yes, I did the thing! *goes to find link* http://writerandproud.blogspot.com/2015/05/beautiful-people-9.html
    I'll have to quiz Tempe next time. The character chat really helped with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *runs to check out your post*
      I can't wait for you to read itttt. xD

      Delete
  3. He is so brilliant, and by question 10 my face totally matched the gif.
    I also really like when people do the questions as an interview with the character, it is so much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! And I like doing it that way too; it's a good way for me to work out their character and such. :P

      Delete
  4. I feel obliged to say that the Jeremy Renner gif is one of the best reaction gifs under the face of the earth and so. Yes.

    You messed me up so bad with question 10, and I love the authentic style here. So brilliant. I already love Elias like 500%. *imitates Jeremy Renner's face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting to use it for FOREVER and my time finally came. So happy about that.

      Yay! Elias is one of my personal favorites out of my charries.

      Delete
  5. GOOD FRIENDS. /GOOD FRIENDS/. HA.
    ALSO HE /DRAWS/?!
    *clutches heart*
    MY BABY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you have to threaten him with needles to make him talk? He sounds very, very reluctant. Even though he didn't, I enjoyed this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I might have. *looks side to side*

      Delete
  7. I haven't done this one yet (not sure if I will or not), but yours was brilliant! I always love your characters, Aimee. They're all so fascinating and well-developed, with cool hobbies and sad backstories, and WOW. It's just amazing.
    Anyways. I still think Ize's my favorite from Paiah, but Elias is definitely cool. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no blog, but... Because I like these types of things very much... I may do more than one, but this one is my current personal favorite, Hemlock Aires. He's an INTJ on the MBTI, and he's... interesting.

    Q: Do they get nightmares? If so, why or what of?
    A: Why would I tell you what my mind creates in my sleep?

    Q: What's their greatest guilty pleasure/shame?
    A: I keep things from Archer. I'm not telling you what things, but every last one of them is for his safety and peace of mind. Which is why it's so annoying that I feel guilt for them.

    Q: Are they easily persuaded or do they need more proof?
    A: Give me all the proof you can. Only morons trust easily, and without proof. That's how you get led into ambushes and end up with your head on a spike.

    Q: Do they suffer any phobias? Does it effect their life in any big ways?
    A: Those are two very different questions. Everyone is afraid of something to some degree. Think about it. If you make a wrong move flopping down onto your couch like a fallen tree, and miss it, you could break your neck. What about going down steep stairs? Or snakes? Or spiders? Everyone is afraid all of those things, because it makes sense. Its a human survival instinct: to stay away from danger. That prickling sense to avoid stupidity and reckless behavior has been dulled by the comfort we live in, and the closeness of medical care. The other question asks about the crippling phobias, the ones that stop us from doing what we can when we need to do it. The difference is really quite a fascinating one, especially when you can consider the possibility of a sliding scale between them. Fear - human fear especially - is an engaging topic.
    (Note that the original question is unanswered.)

    Q: What do they consider their Achilles' heel?
    A: Claustrophobia. And emotions. I'm not good at either of those things, so leave those well enough alone.

    Q: Do they have a temper?
    A. If you stay out of my way, then no. I don't blow up like others do, not really. I spit sparks at you. (Quick nudge.) Fine, perhaps I've thrown monumental fits when all illusion of control is lost, but then again, that's none of your business, is it?

    Q: What are their core values/religious beliefs?
    A: Organized religion irks me. It's a perfect form of behavior control, and you have packs of morons following other morons, asking no questions and coming up with more and more stupidity as time goes on. There's a lot out there, especially for me, and I'm going to make up my own mind, and not do it blindly. Core values are much simpler. Think. That's it. Think. If everyone thought, this world would be a much better place.

    Q: What things do they value most in life?
    A: Archer. Wait - no, that's not what I meant to say. Knowledge. Books. Being in control, in the center of my own universe, controlling it, making everything go smoothly. Stop laughing!

    Q: What is one major event that helped shape who they are?
    A: Getting addicted to magical drugs. If you laugh, I swear I will smack you. I went through my existential crisis at nine. I am not a happy person, and sometimes, unhappy people do stupid things.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.