5 'Nice Guy' Characters With Personality

11:53 AM




On Tuesday, I blogged about the problem with the 'bad boy' character type, so continuing the pattern from last week, today I'm going to share some of my favorite male characters who (a aren't jerks and (b still have some personality to them.


Peeta Mellark 
The Hunger Games 


I know he's sometimes not the more popular of nice guy characters, but I'll defend him, so there. The Hunger Games in general contains some fantastic character development on all sides, not to mention complex characters in the first place, and Peeta is one of my favorites. I mean, look at the guy. He's sweetness personified. He takes care of the people he loves and doesn't want to hurt anyone and just wants to stay true to himself. 

He's not all wishy-washy, either. He's genuinely loyal to the people he cares about (look at how he sticks with Katniss through three whole books, even when it gets supremely sucky for both of them). He stands up for what he thinks is right. He's strong, and brave, and I kind of love him for it. 

He's the ultimate Nice Guy character.

Finn 
The Books of Bayern 

Finn is essentially perfect and I love him. 

Why yes, I did mention this series last Thursday, but I'm not even going to apologize for it because we're going to talk about Finn now and he's one of my favorites ever. Okay, so Finn is even sweeter than Peeta sometimes. He's quiet and shy and follows Enna around like a stray puppy for the first book or so, helping and listening quietly whenever she needs it. And here's the thing: their love isn't particularly burning and romantic, but it's absolutely amazing. They're there for each other when they need it most, they listen to each other, they sacrifice for each other. And that's really important.

Finn's pretty hardcore, too. He becomes a soldier even though it frightens him, and he works hard to defend the people he loves. 

I'm slightly in love with him but don't tell anyone.

Prince Kai 
The Lunar Chronicles 


We're also going back to Lunar Chronicles-land because PRINCE KAI. (I'll admit to Thorne being my favorite of the guys, but he doesn't exactly qualify for this post, so we'll leave my fangirling out of this.) Yes, I'm counting Kai as a nice guy, because he really is. I mean, the man is a prince and he has absolutely no issue going out into the marketplace to find some random girl to fix his android. Not only that, but he talks to her like she's another human being, and not like he's above her, and he does so with grace. He cares for Cinder but also has the good sense to consider the people he's supposed to be ruling, and does everything in his power to use his power wisely and take care of the country. He cares very much for his father and isn't easily swayed from what he knows to be right. 

*flails* 

Finn Ramos
The Impossible Knife of Memory


There are two Finns on this list and I am not going to apologize for that because I kind of have an obsession with any character bearing that name. 

Anyway. 

Moving into contemporary territory, Finn is basically perfect. He's quirky, he's weird, he's not perfect, but he's absolutely sweet. He knows how to make people laugh when they need it, and when to be serious and give someone a hug. He's there for the MC, Hayley, when she needs it, and he knows how to plan adorably dorky dates and give awkward but genuine compliments. He doesn't back away just because someone's in trouble or going through rough times; he steps in and walks beside them. He's a good friend, too. 


Brewster Rawlins 
Bruiser 


And here you thought I'd get away without talking about Neal Shusterman in this post.

This is my favorite example because Brewster is seen as the bad boy type of character, but only because no one gets to know him. He's quiet and reserved and stays the heck away from people, but also looks like he might want to hurt you. But his POV in the book is in free verse, and that really says a lot about his character! He's very intelligent and observant. He also takes on the injuries of people he cares about, healing them but making himself injured/sick -- hence the staying away from people. But he cares deeply for his little brother and protects him in an abusive situation no matter what, and when Bronte starts to care for him he protects and loves her too in his own quiet way. 

He's sweet, and gentle, and brave, without being cheesy. It's wonderful. 

Honorable Mentions

Prince Kit - Cinderella movie (2015) (You knew that was coming, didn't you?) 

David Charleston - Steelheart

Adam Parrish - The Raven Boys

Prince Aleksander - Leviathan 

This is my reaction to all of them. 
And there it is -- my very favorite nice guys. That's not to say I haven't ever enjoyed a good bad boy (unless it's an emotionally abusive situation, in which case I'm staying the heck away) but I tend to be more of a nice girl person and these particular boys make my heart happy. We really need more of them. 

Who's your favorite 'nice guy' character? Give them a shout-out and let's talk about that. How do you feel about nice guys in books? Do you think we need more? Comment away.

30 comments

  1. Can we just the Doctor in that gif for a second.

    Okay. Done.

    I adore nice guy characters. Possibly because it's easier to put them into situations that make the readers cry. I don't know.

    I can't comment on a favourite, because my favourites are always my own, and no one ever understands my references to them, so then it's just awkward. I do believe we need more of them though. More of them with personality. Emphasis on personality.

    Personality.

    If an author can create convincing characters, I'm all for more nice guys. If only for more positive role models, but also because they're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gif pleases me. I had to put it there. xD

      Yes! Nice guys with personality are the very best, so it annoys me that quite often the 'nice guys' aren't really anything but a cardboard cutout. So much opportunity wasted. *sighs*

      Delete
  2. Aw, nice guys are the best. This post reminded me of a famous youtube song called "nice guys finish last". Have you ever seen it?

    Anyhow, my all-time favorite nice guy is Gilbert Blythe. He is considerate, loyal, and still full of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song is hilarious. :D

      Delete
    2. I haven't... *looks up the song*

      YES! Gosh, I haven't read those in forever, but I do remember liking him a lot. Characters like that are the best. xD

      Delete
  3. The only book on your list that I have read is the Hunger Games and the first of the Lunar Chronicles. And yes, Peeta was such a great character, very well developed.
    I won't say much about the Lunar Chronicles, I was so disappointed in the characters and plot. So yeah.
    Great blog post though, I enjoyed reading it. And it's giving me reasons to add more books to my ever growing tbr pile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions, even if it's about the Lunar Chronicles. :P
      Read alllll the books! I'm trying to grow awareness for nice guy characters, I guess. xD

      Delete
  4. I am not familiar with a single one of your 5 favourite nice guys (*sigh* need to get reading), but they all sound pretty awesome (a prince named /Kai/ is destined to steal my heart). And I just really adore the nice guys.

    My favourite nice guy/ love interest/ male character in general has to be Rory Williams, but Adam Parrish is a close second. Those two are just the sweetest ever. Also, the only two characters ever whom I actually wished I could marry (I'm usually too sensible for that-- I was positively scared of myself after finishing the Raven Boys).

    And we ALWAYS need more nice guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp* You have to read ALL the things. They're all so great. <3 Especially Kai. He's adorable.

      *cuddles Rory*

      Delete
  5. I will agree with Prince Kai, because he's the only one I know. I am afraid that I really can't talk about anybody else on account of I don't know them—well, I know a little about Peeta, but that series is just not my cup of tea. I just bought Leviathan, though, so I hope Aleksander is as awesome as you advertise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leviathan is amazing and steampunky and I love it, so I hope you do too. xD And really, you should read all of these. *nods*

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these books apart from the hunger games, and that was when they first came out so I don't remember a lot *hangs head in shame* definitely time for a re-read. I'll be adding the ones that aren't already there to my wishlist though.

    I have to say my favourite nice guy character/love interest is Jase from My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick! He's a brilliant son, brother, friend, and boyfriend. Just the all round perfect nice guy, without being wishy washy and boring. He also has fault's, like everyone, but he knows he does and he tries his best to get past them. *sigh* He's the best.

    There is such a shortage of palatable nice guys in YA. They're either too nice and are written as perfect people with no faults, or they're instantly friend zoned into the comic relief, reliable side character. I appreciate your mission to make the nice guys more known and appreciated!

    My blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should totally read all the things! They're all amazing, and not just because of the guys. :)

      I keep seeing that book so I think it's time to add it to my list. *consults Goodreads* I loveeeee characters like that, because they're the ones I can really root for. And I agree with you; there's such a shortage of good ones. It's super important to me to push that they're there and they can be awesome.

      Delete
  7. *adds Bruiser and the Books of Bayern to TBR list* I like Peeta too, but I'd like to mention Jace from The Ilyon Chronicles. He's got the dark brooding thing going on and he's REALLY tough to get to know, mostly because most people don't actually want to know him for somewhat valid racial reasons. But then the FMC Kyrin gets him to trust her and he was so hurt and then he opens up and she didn't betray him and now in the series there is literally nothing he wouldn't do for her. It is adorable and I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All the yes to Jace. xD

      Delete
    2. I NEED TO READ THOSE WHY AREN'T THEY AT MY LIBRARY. *sighs* They look so awesome.

      Delete
    3. Ebook versions are cheep, as annoying as it is to resort to such a format. :P I ended up spending more money to get hard copies from Amazon, though.

      Delete
  8. I only know two of these guys: Peeta and Kai. I didn't understand Peeta at first, how he could love someone he didn't really know. But outside of that, I thought he was a pretty cool guy. He knows how to communicate with people and he is really sweet. It's hard to believe he came from the family he did sometimes. He's probably one of the most likable characters that ever existed.

    Yes, Prince Kai! He's so sincere. That's what I love about him. He's sincere to the point that he has a hard time putting on that expressionless politics face for counsel members and conferences and such. Even for the TV cameras. He also truly tries to rule his people to the best of his abilities even though most of the time he doesn't really believe he has an ability to do so. He cares so much about his people. And he's not a snob at all. He's kind of unexpected and refreshing as far as princes go.

    I can't think of nice guys off the top of my head. I guess I normally like the smart guys, and, yeah, they're not always nice. If I go outside of books, I would say Bruce Banner. . . Oh! There is Packer from the Trophy Chase Trilogy, or Delaney from the same trilogy. They are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Peeta is kind of fascinating and hard to get at first, but he's ADORABLE. And I love him. xD

      Delete
  9. Yay! Prince Kai and David from Steelheart! ;) I think I spy some books I need to check out because Finn is an awesome name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finn is kind of my favorite name. And I've never read about a Finn I didn't like, so. :P

      Delete
  10. I'm going to save this post because as I say, I'm *attempting* to create a nice guy. (But my dark side took over and I don't think he'll actually be very nice. Probably will end up being an entitled "nice guy" type of person. *soothes dark side with cookies*) But these examples are so awesome! Sweet guys can win over the fangirls as much as Lokis -- significantly more, I might even venture.

    Prince Kit from Cinderella was wonderful but every time I look at him I can only think Robb Stark and attempts to be nice did not work out for that guy. He.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice guys are hard to write, yeah, especially if you're morbid like me. But I do try too. *sighs* I wish there were more awesome nice guys, to be good role models and awesome love interests, but sadly, YA isn't exactly into that right now.

      Haha! I haven't even seen Game of Thrones but I had that impression too, since I've seen so much of it on Pinterest/Twitter.

      Delete
  11. Oh, nothing can beat Peeta. He's by far my favorite literary "good guy". But I'll actually pitch from another fandom — Dr. Watson from Sherlock. Great friend. Loyal. Smart. Adventurous. Sensitive. Always sincere and genuine.

    But I still vote Peeta. :)

    Ciera @ The Write Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WATSON! I think I've liked every version of him I've seen (I'm partial to the one from the RDJ movies, but that's just me) and read about, because he's such a good character. *nods enthusiastically*

      Delete
  12. I love Peeta. ^ ^ He's so adorable and loyal and kind, but he's not a wimp. I mean come on he fights in the Hunger Games. I hate when people think he's a burden. Just because he isn't as kickbutt as Katniss or Finnick doesn't mean he doesn't have his own strengths. Like Newt in the Maze Runner and I believe he's the glue that keeps Katniss's groups together.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwww. So many people look at Peeta that way and it makes me sad because the poor man is pretty dang awesome and tough, just in his own way. *sighs*
      NEWT. DON'T EVEN GIVE ME THESE FEELINGS.

      Delete
  13. DAVID CHARLESTON!
    He's my favoritest bull-headed idiot ever. He doesn't stop and think whether the things he does actually make sense (Okay, sometimes he does), but I guess that's his charm. He's genuine.
    I tend to write so many manipulative, dark, thoughtful type characters that I can sometimes lose track of that charm...
    But every book needs at least a few truly good, honest characters. Every book needs the hero to come and save the day, to change the odds when there isn't a chance.
    I don't recognize most of the other characters you mentioned (except for Peeta and Kit), so I don't feel qualified to comment on them.
    As always, you make good points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David is amazing and so very, very human, and that's why I love him. xD *nods wisely*

      Delete
  14. I ALWAYS fall for the nice guy. Seriously. Finn(Enna's Finn), Kai, and Peeta all melted my heart.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.