It's Okay To Take Breaks From Blogging

7:00 AM


Ooh, look, yet another serious topic. This will be a short post, though, so don't worry.

By the time a ton of you read this I will be either in an airport or on a plane, on my way to the Dominican Republic. I'm a missions trip kind of kid. I'm going to help with kids and dig holes and do whatever else is asked of me, which unfortunately does not include blogging and internet.

*cries* 
Never fear, though! I've assembled some guest bloggers to entertain you while I'm gone, so you should definitely be nice to them and comment on their posts and be your lovely selves as usual. You've got this.

Anyway. The point of this post is that I realize I've been leaving you or disappearing from the blog a lot lately, especially this month, and I ought to apologize for that like I keep doing. But I also want to talk about something I've been thinking about, which is this: I don't think blogging on a regular basis is one of my top priorities in life. 

Now, don't get me wrong! This is not some "I'll be blogging less so I can really find myself and focus on my art" post. This is a "I fully intend to keep up the schedule I have now, but I'm trying not to beat myself up about disappearing" post. So there. 

Blogging is something I love. I love the community, I love writing up posts, I love reading posts, I love finding gifs, I love responding to comments, all that jazz. I love interacting with you fabulous internet peeps. But I'll also admit that I have a lot of other things going on in my life and those things include family, writing, reading, reading, reading, procrastinating, karate, school again soon, occasionally real-life friends, etc. And while blogging is high on the list of things I want to do often, I don't think I should feel bad if I drop off the face of the blogosphere for a week sometimes when I just don't have the energy to write up a post. 



Do you know why? Because as cool as it is, and as much as I fully intend to keep it up, breaks are okay. 

And blogging is not crucial to my survival or happiness. 

Wow, we're getting harsh today.

Call me not very bookish, but I really do like being out. With people. In the big scary world. I love blogging, but it's something that I do for fun. You guys are a big part of it, but you'll survive if I don't post for a week or so. I'll survive if I don't have a hundred or two hundred or five hundred or a thousand followers. It's important to me and I try to be consistent for everyone's sake but it is not the most important thing in the world and I don't intend to make it so because then, for me, it stops being fun. It's a way for me to get my thoughts out into the world, collect loyal followers, and use lots of gifs, not a full-time job.

So I'll try to keep up the schedule, because yes, that's fun. And I'm sorry for missing stuff and not giving you warning because I'm pretty sure that makes everyone sad, including me. (Right, guys?) 

But sometimes I need a break. And I don't want to feel pressured or overly stressed about missing a post or two in the long run. 

So here is me, being all responsible and giving you warning this time. I'll return in August, but for now, I'm getting on a plane and not even thinking about it. I'll leave you in the capable hands of my guest posters, and that'll be that. 

I do love this gif. 

How often do you blog? How do you feel about taking blogging breaks just because you feel like it? Will you miss me? Comment away.

14 comments

  1. I'll often kind of forget about blogging when I have a lot of things going on in life just because it's not like I'll starve to death or cease to succeed if I don't blog or anything. So yeah, I definitely agree with you on this one. (Although there was this one week where I forgot my blog existed. No joke.)

    And I wasn't going to, but it says post a link to your blog, so why not?

    http://www.wordspillers.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yeah. I've almost done that before xD It's hard for me to stay dedicated to it sometimes and I think breaks are good.

      Thank you! *runs to check out your blog*

      Delete
  2. XD I totally don't mean this in a bad way at all, but it almost sounds like you're writing a sincere defense about your own choice to not blog for a week. A sincere message from me to you: GO. DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGING WHATSOEVER. Part of the reason I like scheduling blog posts ahead of schedule is that I don't have to spend all day blogging and can go hang out with my friends, do school stuff, or something else. I don't usually take "blogging breaks" per se, but there are some days when blogging isn't as big a deal for me, because I'm doing other stuff. Anyway, I hope you have a fulfilling and awesome trip, and I hope you'll tell us about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you. xD I do try to schedule posts, but I'm a shameful procrastinator and it's very difficult for me sometimes. I suppose I should get better at that. *le sigh*

      Delete
  3. Yes we do miss you when you go. :( But I totally get what you're saying. I could probably do with a little less sense of duty regarding my blog because if I miss a post I tend to focus on that and making it up becomes top priority due to my tunnel vision.
    Have fun on your missions trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. It's very appreciated. xD I can get very into it and I'm working on toning down the anxiety so I don't feel like I HAVE to do everything with blogging right or all the time or it's the end of the world.

      Delete
  4. Aww, we'll miss ya.
    But I agree, blogging isn't my #1 priority in life, though it is pretty important to me. I love it, but that doesn't exactly mean it runs my life. Like you said, surprisingly, sometimes I like being out in the big scary world and get to know other humans. It's actually something i like to do.
    Well, have an awesome trip and dig some good holes out there ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I do love blogging, and it's very important to me, but I'd like to avoid it becoming totally consuming because I want to be able to do other things without stressing too much because I do tend to do that.
      Thanks! I did have fun and you'll hear about it soon. xD

      Delete
  5. We will most certainly miss you. (Also: I am so disappointed Moriarty's gif didn't make it into this post. Hehe.)

    And definitely we should not pressure you at all. Your schedule is actually a really frequent one, so I'm really impressed even if you have to take breaks now and then. Personally, I find that having several prewritten posts are a lifesaver when you want to hide the fact you're going on hiatus. Blogging breaks are definitely okay and in fact important, so take all the breaks and come back in your own time with gifs and llamas XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I know, right? I didn't think about that particular gif until later, somehow, and then I felt guilty. Because it totally belongs here.)

      Thanks! I try to do that, but it doesn't always work out, so I'm trying to get better at it.And I'm back now, hopefully for a good while without more breaks. xD

      Delete
  6. We'll miss you, but I totally understand. And that's really cool, though. I've never had the opportunity to go on a missions trip, but it's pretty darn awesome. I actually have a friend who is in the Dominican Republic on one right now. I hope you enjoy it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS pretty awesome, and I did enjoy it, so thanks! I'll be blogging about it soon. :D

      Delete
  7. I blog once every two months--probably.
    Needless to say, I agree with you. There are several things in this world that are much more important than blogging, and blogging should never become an addiction or get in the way of the real world. Should it get in the way of the real world, then it is probably a disease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be an obsessive blogger. But now I really try to post maybe a couple times a week and only when I feel led to by God so that each post has meaning and purpose.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.