In Which Annie Is Launching A Blog Soon, So I Interview Her

7:00 AM



Today I'm going to introduce you to one of my very favorite internet people, because she's launching a blog soon and it will be fabulous, so listen up. This person is Annie Hawthorne (link goes to her lovely Twitter) and she's been awesome enough to answer the questions I sent her way.

Who is Annie, you ask?


Annie Hawthorne is a twenty-something writer who tends to be guilty of either hyperbole or crafting scenes that make her beta-readers cry. If she's not scribbling YA fantasy and speculative fiction, then she can be found interacting with her family as one of its more lively members or attempting to shorten her TBR stack (it never works). She practices piano badly, and photography even worse. People-watching, long road-trips, dissecting movies, Doctor Who and LOTR marathons, wearing red heels, and collecting mugs are always on her To-Do list. She chases beauty, and is a child of God. Her blog, Curious Wren, arrives in town on August 26th. You can find her Twitter account here.
Annie's awesome words will be in italics below. Let's get this interview rolling.


 


Thank you so much for being on the blog today, Annie! It's super great to have you here. Why don't you tell the darling readers a little about yourself: 

Hello, lovely humans! *waves* I'm called Annie Hawthorne, and I am --among other things-- a child of God, mad scribbler, extrovert who's unquenchably optimistic, haunter of old bookstores, whovian, pluviophile, a run-barefoot-through-the-grass kind of girl, and lover of whimsical worlds.

Now, you are also a writer. I'm rabidly curious, so: What sorts of things do you like to write? Are you working on anything in particular at the moment? What genre do you prefer? Tell us all. 

*takes out projector* *cracks knuckles* *deep breath*

My books tend to have generous servings of broken people finding hope and redemption, multiple charries stuck with each other (oh, the dynamics), adorable creatures, wry humor, assassins/clever people doing epic things whilst I fangirl, scenes that'll make you cry, and twisty story arcs. Right now I'm editing the first book in a series of sci-fi fairytale re-tellings, starting with Beauty and the Beast and ending with... I haven't decided yet. Suggestions? *wink* I love this story and the characters so much it hurts. My favorite genres are fantasy and speculative fiction, but I dabble in children's literature too -- primarily anthropomorphic fantasy. 


What was the last book you read? How did you feel about it? 

A novella called A Wish Made of Glass. Let me just say this: if you like Cinderella re-tellings read it, but if you like stories that plumb the depths of your soul, and tie your emotions up in knots, and make you catch your breath from beauty or sadness, read it. You can find my review here.

On that note, what is your most favorite book ever? What makes it special to you? (Asking the hard questions today, I know.

This one actually requires no agonizing at all. Foiled you. *wink*

The Hobbit is a book I've known and loved for longer than I can remember (we named a bunny "Bilbo" when I was four). Mum read it to us all the time, and Gandalf, Bilbo, and Gollum are dead to my little, bookworm heart. It was my first introduction to fictional epic adventures, unlikely heros, deliciously suspenseful scenes, courage in tight spots, and loveable charries. I've never looked back.

Do you have any other hobbies beyond reading/writing? What are they?

*whispers* I pretend to be a peasant which means I sew my own clothes. Sometimes I change my mind and spin pretty threads instead. Then I make things with the pretty thread and two pointy sticks. Also, COLORING. It's not just for tiny humans.

Do you play an instrument?

Piano, but not very well. Mr. Rochester would be less than pleased. Practice, my friends. My memory doesn't like it. 


What song is stuck in your head right now? Is that a good thing? 

Currently, it's the Piano Guys newest song: Fight Song / Amazing Grace
I wouldn't recommend all of their songs, but this one in particular makes my heart catch. The bagpipes. Actually, just all of it. O.O



Tell me a bit about your favorite chocolate/candy bar/candy in general. Why is it the very best, in your opinion?

Peppermint patties are the equivalent of earthly manna. You can't go far wrong with a combination of silky chocolate and peppermint. Chocolate chips too. They melt in your mouth and taste of happy thoughts.

If you could go on a month-long vacation anywhere in the world you'd like, where would you go? Why? What would you see there? 

Great Britain, specifically England. I grew up steeped in the literature of British writers like Lewis, Montgomery, Beatrix Potter, and Tolkien. Basically I've been in love with England, its culture, its people, and its incredible beauty since I was knee-high to a mushroom. Probably I would visit London for a day, see all the sights and roam the streets, but most of my time ideally I'd spend in the Lake District. Books, tea, lots of walks, writing.... the perfect holiday. 


What are three books you think everyone should read? 


Talk about hard questions. O.O

- To Kill A Mockingbird. If you only ever read three books in your life (perish the thought!) this should be one of them. Poignant. Funny. Indelible. I can't think of praise high enough for it.


- The Wind in the Willows. The perfect combination of happy essence and coziness.


- The Lord of the Rings. Need I say more?



Of course, you're launching a blog very soon, which I'm wildly excited about. What are you going to blog about? What can we look forward to? If you don't mind sharing your secrets. 


Your excitement warms my heart, Aimee! <3

*leans forward* Gather around, people, and I'll tell you a little secret. My blog is going to be very book-centered. Think writing articles, snippets posts, character dissecting (not for the weak), book reviews, and the like. I have lots of ideas in mind, particularly a series of articles discussing Why Every Writer Should Watch Doctor Who.

Again, THANK YOU HEAPS. *hug*



Needless to say, I really enjoyed her answers, and her blog is going to be FANTABULOUS so you should all pay attention to that and be in wait for it (I'll flail and post a link when she launches, of course, because I'm wildly excited).

Also, she is going to have a blog party. I LOVE PARTIES. According to her there will be a giveaway (oh, look, another thing I love) and also various other awesome things, so go check it out when the time comes.

Have you seen this video? Because it's amazing. 

Basically, say nice things to Annie because she's awesome. DO IT NOW. Comment away.

27 comments

  1. I think the universe may have just cracked or something because that's the exact same song stuck in my head right now... AND YES TO PIANO GUYS!!! Plus I love The Hobbit. In other words, I'm super excited to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what they say: "great minds think alike." *grin*

      Anybody who loves the Hobbit is an automatic friend for me. Thank you for commenting, Victoria! <3

      Delete
    2. *pushes you in direction of her upcoming blog* It will be AWESOME. I'm sure of it.

      Delete
  2. Your recs are always fabulous, Aimee, so I have promptly followed Annie on Twitter and now await her blog party with much anticipation. Seriously, though, she sounds fabulous! ASSASSINS. RETELLINGS. And reading + writing blog posts. Just, SO EXCITED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, Alyssa, YOU ARE SO NICE. *feels fabulous now* ^_^

      You also like assassins and retellings. LET US BE FRIENDS.

      Delete
    2. Excellentttt. You should all follow my advice regarding this.

      Delete
  3. AIMEEEEE. I love how you formatted it, and the GIFS, and everything about it! So beautiful. O.O *hugs you excitedly*

    By the way, I believe I've mentioned this more than once, but I had a blast answering these questions. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! And thank you for letting me interview you -- this is a super fun post and I can't wait for your blog.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! <3 Aww, I can't wait either! I'm stoked about the giveaway. O.O Unfortunately I can't win it. XDD

      Delete
  4. *stares* uh- hullo, twin. :P Seriously, I was a little freaked out when I was reading your answers because my answers would be 97% the same. Anyways, it is lovely to meet you, and I can't wait for your blog! Have a splendid day!
    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *throws confetti on you both*

      Delete
    2. O.O My long-lost twin! *hugs you* Woah, definitely must check out your blog now, and "stalk" you. ;) Lovely to meet you, Bailey, and I can't wait for you to visit Curious Wren!

      Delete
  5. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU ANNIE HOW CAN I WAIT?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview--it sounds like the blog will be fantastic! The Wind in the Willows was my absolute favorite book when i was younger, and I'm badly overdue to reread it. The Lord of the Rings, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read The Wind in the Willows several times when I was younger, too...it's so very delightful.

      Delete
    2. Aww, thanks! ^_^ Oh, you and me both. I'm saving my re-read for this winter. That book is perfect for curling up under a cozy blanket. :D And I need to re-read Return of the King!

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited that you'll be starting a blog, Annie! You already have one automatic follower, right here. :D Your sci-fi Beauty and the Beast retelling sounds amazing! I, too, am working on a sci-fi novel (the fourth draft!), and like you, characters finding hope and redemption is a main theme in my novels. Somehow it resurfaces in every novel idea I have, which is pretty crazy. And yay, I sew my own clothes as well-at least when school isn't sucking away all my time. Also, I very much approve of your book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I really, really want to read her writing o.o It sounds so gooddddd.

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the blogging world, Annie! It's great fun, and sometimes we eat cake and throw books at each other!

    I actually haven't read The Wind and the Willows, but I should definitely do that at some point. But like you, I'm a Whovian and I love to run around barefoot.

    I'm really excited for your blog now! I'd especially love to read more about your sci-fi Beauty and the Beast retelling--it sounds exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "and sometimes we eat cake and throw books at each other!" Accurate description of the blogging world.

      Delete
  9. This is so exciting! Can't wait to see your blog! I love your profile picture. The angle is so unique!

    Sadly, I have not read any of the three books you recommended. Although, I do intend to read To Kill a Mockingbird!

    Fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just darling? I always love her pictures. :)

      Delete
  10. Oooh. I am very excited for this new blog!! (I especially want to read the "Why Every Writer Should Watch Doctor Who" post...) Annie sounds like a fabulous person and fabulous writer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a delightful interview (nice job, ladies)! Annie, your blog sounds exciting and I'll be sure to check it out. And the pictures here = marvelous.

    Of course, I may be biased (I saw LOTR, Hobbit, Doctor Who and was sold). I'll second the waiting for that "Why Every Writer Should Watch Doctor Who" post! . As a fellow writer (and, ironically, a writer who currently has one published piece . . . on Doctor Who!), I 100% agree (with the statement) that every writer should watch that fabulous, so British, well written, and fascinating show. (See, not biased, right?)
    And Tolkien is the best.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.