July Wrap-Up

10:44 AM


(Late again, but let's do it anyway.) 

July was a weird month. Not the best month, and I was gone for a lot of it, but hey, we survived! And now I'm home and rested again and more writing can happy. So yay for all that. 

 
There weren't a lot of posts this month, but the guest posters were awesome.

You two rocked it. 


Well. I was gone for two weeks this July, so admittedly I didn't get as much writing done as I wanted to. I wrote out 10k worth of short story backstory thingies for Camp NaNo and won that way, but that was about it in terms of fresh writing. 

And then there was the beast that is Pariah

I meant to finish Draft 7 this month. Which didn't quite happen, but I'm so. Close. And I will, as I've stated before, be collecting beta readers this month/probably sending things out, so there's that. It wasn't a great month for writing, but I learned a lot. 



*collapses* 

I read 15 books this month, despite not having a lot of time to read. (Granted, some of them were comic books, but whatever. That's just as intense; maybe we'll talk about my comic book respect sometime this month.)


Favorite book: Half A King by Joe Abercrombie. (GUYS READ IT NOW. Yarvi is one of my new favorite protagonists ever and this book had all the feels.) 

Least Favorite Book: Lies by Michael Grant. (I'll be the first to admit I'm not a Grant fan anyway, but still. WHAT WAS THIS. DNFed.) 

  • I'm actually a big fan of YA books being adapted into movies. I rounded up some of the books I'd most like to see on the big screen.
  • For my own personal bookshelf I acquired...nothing. I fail. *sad face*
  • I'm trying to find more good YA sci-fi to read. Anyone have any suggestions? Do leave a comment. 

Basically, it was a good month for everyone in blogging. 

  • I'll need beta readers for Pariah very soon. Which means you'll see more Pariah things, huzzah! 
  • A post about my Dominican Republic missions trip is coming, I promise. I had to get my thoughts together on that one. 
And finally...some news I'm very very excited about. 

The blog is getting re-designed. 

Yes, that's right. Not professionally, because I'm poor and technologically challenged and such, but I'm putting together a brand-new design that should be cleaner and prettier and flashier altogether. I'm not sure of exact dates for this, as I'm still fiddling around with the details of the design, but I'll announce that soon. It'll probably be around when school starts up again, to give us all a fresh start. I'm super nervous and super excited about this! 


How do you feel about new blog designs? What great books did you read this month? How did your month go in general? Comment away.




18 comments

  1. I was so excited to post this month, so thank you for hosting me! I haven't seen most of the other posts (although I really liked Cait's post, too) and so I look forward to reading your favorites! I can't wait to see your new blog design. :D I'm curious to see what you come up with and how awesome it will be when you get done. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! Thanks for posting. :) I'm a little nervous about said new blog design, but oh well, hopefully everything will turn out fine.

      Delete
  2. Your goal was 150?!?! Dang girl. And I thought I read a lot....

    And holy crap, I didnt realize you were on draft 7 of Pariah.....geez....thats crazy. I've only ever written one second draft. I have no idea how you do it...

    *applause*
    you're quite amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks a lot! I'm not sure how I've managed it either o.0

      Delete
  3. I hope you had a lovely holiday!
    Now that the pleasantries are over, we can talk business. I just wanted to say that your enthusiasm for Pariah really hit a nerve with me, so this month I've started to write too. Nothing major - right now I have two vague characters, some idea about chapter one, and a possible ending - but I can't wait to give life to it. EXCITING!
    So, uh, thank you. For being brave enough to share your creations and inspire some of your readers :)
    *CRINGES*
    I'll be off now. Good luck with your blog redesign!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that's SO AWESOME. I keep hearing stuff like this and it's really cool to me that I've been able to be encouraging, so thank *you* for letting me know because I love hearing that stuff. :D Best of luck, and let me know if you need any help brainstorming/just chatting about writing in general.

      Delete
  4. YA sci-fi? I have a suggestion! The Fog Diver. Well, it's not exactly YA... (it's a kid's book) and it's not exactly sci-fi... (more steam punk). But it's really good! :P
    Do you have requirements for beta wannabes for Pariah?
    And new blog designs: I like the way yours is, but a change could be exciting! I'm struggling with getting my blog perfect design-wise; it's so challenging! :/ Good luck with yours! :)
    www.lilieslive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard about that book, and I do love steampunk, so I'll most definitely add it to my list. *adds to Goodreads tbr immediately*
      Well, they have to be up for reading a YA steampunk involving murder, be able to read said YA steampunk and get me feedback in a prompt manner, and be willing to be honest with me regarding your opinion on the novel. That's about it. :)

      Delete
  5. Whoa, amazing job on your reading goal. That's pretty impressive.

    Yess, Gemma's post was so great. I'd never thought of it that way before, and it made me think about my own female characters (especially my bad-girl kick-tail one) and how I handle that issue. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really appreciated her article too, so I had to put it up. I do love posts that make you think.

      Delete
  6. I'm SO excited about the Pariah things!!! I love all the Pariah things!! Basically: post more Pariah things.

    And also I LOVE Young Writer's Treehouse!!! You guys are doing an amazing job with it and I can't wait for more!!!

    And thanks for the plug-in! It means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I definitely will be, and you can expect a message about that in your email inbox very soon, by the way. :D
      Thanks! And you're very welcome.

      Delete
  7. Yay I can't wait to hear about your missions trip! And Pariah, obviously, is exciting, as is getting the blog redesigned. Someone in GTW is referring me to someone who will do it for free, actually, so I think my own blog is going to get a makeover soon. I lost interest in that series by Grant as well . . . it was getting a little weird. First book was good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah for all the things! Except for the series because it was strange. xD

      Delete
  8. Hey, welcome back! And OOH BLOG REDESIGN. I totally back that, even though I adore the colour scheme here already. And aieee, YWH's theme is gorgeous too, so I have 350% confidence your redesign will be lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I like the color scheme as well, but I'm needing something fresh, if that makes sense. So I'm going to tackle a blog redesign. *sweats*

      Delete
  9. Wow it seems like a fun month with all of the trips. ^ ^ My month was very busy with no trips haha. All writing. Good luck on redesigning your blog. It's tricky. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too late Aimee, school already started for me! I'm with you on Michael Grant; I read gone and Hunger I think and just gave up. I knew I was going to give up, so I let someone who'd read the whole series spoil me, and was perfectly happy. Going to the DR sounds interesting; for school I had to read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, set in the Dr (kind of). It was actually quite good and sad, a supernatural/contemporary/historical combination. Have you tried Beth Revis for sci fi? I read her short story collection recently and I really like her Across The Universe series. I'm rereading Cinder right now but I assume you've already read those :)

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.