Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

1:08 PM


This one is exciting, probably because I have a whole host of very unpopular opinions regarding YA books. (Thanks for the tag, Alexa!)

1. A Popular Book/Series You Didn't Like 


I won't spend a lot of time on this because it would take about a thousand years and another few blog posts to talk about my opinions here, but for now suffice to say I didn't enjoy the Harry Potter series at all. I did wait until I was older to read it so that might have contributed, but I really wasn't pleased with the writing, the plot, and especially the characters. Just...not my favorite and I have a hard time seeing the reason for all the glowing praise. But oh well. 


2. A Popular Book/Series Everyone Hates But You Love


Admittedly, love is not the right word. I don't love Twilight. I was fascinated by Twilight, I thought it was much better than people give it credit for, I was invested in the characters to a certain extent, I don't see it as a particularly abusive relationship most of the time (and trust me, there's plenty of those in YA now), and I read all the books and watched all the movies. (Can't say I enjoyed the movies but they made me laugh so there's that.) I really did enjoy it, and I'm not going to make excuses for that because most of the bashing comes from people who haven't read it anyway. I used to be one of those people.




3. A Love Triangle That Didn't End the Way You Wanted It To




I would talk about this, but I can't because spoilers. But I thought I'd bring it up anyway because it's actually a love triangle with two girls and a guy and that never happens and I wanted to be ~unique~. But anyway, I think I'm not alone in saying that I hated how this turned out. Like, actually hated. I cannot. 

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE REASONING BEHIND THIS AT ALL. 

4. A Popular Genre You Hardly Read 

YA contemporary. Don't get all up on me here, but it just...bores me? There have been some I've really enjoyed (The Impossible Knife of Memory, Bruiser, etc.) but for the most part, I don't really care. The writing style also tends to be really flowery most of the time to make up for writing about gritty normal teenagers, and I'm not very fond of it. But that's just me. 

This was supposed to tug on my heartstrings, but
it didn't. 

5. A Popular/Beloved Character You Dislike 


Celaena from Throne of Glass. Now, this is a very unpopular opinion. I can't go anywhere without seeing these books, and especially praise for this character. Hardcore girl assassin! Yes! Except...I thought she was a whiny brat. Sue me. But I have 0% admiration for her and I don't understand the hype. 


6. A Popular Author You Can't Seem To Get Into 


Ah, that would be Cassandra Clare. Once again, I....I don't understand. I'm not fond of her writing or her romances in general. I read about half of the Mortal Instruments series and found myself completely bored a few books in and they just get longer. Seems like a little much to me. 

7. A Popular Trope You're Tired of Reading 

One plain, ordinary teenage girl who's never known anything other than the world she's in is somehow the only person who sees something wrong with the society. She is then super-special and instantly talented at something she's never had the opportunity to learn before, and saves everything while somehow being ridiculously under-qualified and getting a hot guy in the process. 


8. A Popular Series You Have No Interest In Reading 


I'm not really sure how popular these are, but I keep seeing them, and I'm not particularly interested in any way. Just not my thing. 

9. A Show/Movie Adaption You Liked Better Than The Book 


Okay, yes, this movie is cheesy. Which should say something about my feelings regarding the books. I mostly just have a lot of rage about the last one and the way it all ended, sadly, because I enjoyed the first two but Inkdeath had to go and ruin it all. The movie, on the other hand, wraps it up in a much happier and more satisfactory way, and is also funny. And I love the casting. 

And I mean, we should all just admire the perfect casting for Dustfinger. 

10. A Popular Style of Covers That You Can't Stand

While we're talking about unpopular opinions,
I kind of despise this book. 

Dystopia/sci-fi with a girl in a fluffy dress on the cover. I mean, maybe it's just me, but I read dystopia/sci-fi for excitingness and guns and depressing stuff and possibly aliens and action. I don't want to read sci-fi about girls in fluffy dresses. I just...don't. That gives me a good picture of the fact that it's probably more romance than anything else. Not. Cool. 

31 comments

  1. I agree with everything you said here except Twilight. But we're not going to get into that. But especially the thing about The Maze Runner series. THAT ENDING. NOPE. *coughs* Anyway. I need to get off your blog and go write now. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Twilight thing is probably best left alone most of the time. :) Maze Runner bothered me because so. much. potential. and then so much disappointmentttttt.

      Delete
  2. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Harry Potter sometime, just because I've never heard many complaints about the writing, unless they're playing the religious card, which is stupid. But whatever. We do agree on Twilight (*hives*) and then most of your unpopular opinions are... like... I don't even know them much. I don't read contemporary, but other than that I do not know the things. (BTW, if you got your picture from IMDb, that is why the image is not showing up...) Also, I do hate covers with people in huge dresses on them—one of the reasons I am DONE with Historical Fiction/Romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually planning a post or two on Harry Potter, but I want to tread delicately and not just hate because so many people love it so personally and even though I don't understand that, I want to respect it. So we'll see how that goes. *shrugs*

      Delete
  3. Aaaah yes maze runner ending was awful!!! I wanted to cry :(
    -JH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I actually did cry? It kind of sucked.

      Delete
  4. YES. I really hated Celaena. Admittedly, I only got a couple chapters into the book, but that was because I hated her so much.

    Otherwise, I haven't really read any of these books, so I can't say I have an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm finding people who share that opinion because sometimes it feels like I'm the only one, and I feel rather silly. :P

      Delete
  5. Great tag! My favorite series is Harry Potter, so I would love to hear your opinions about it in a separate post! I also love Calaena, but admittedly she isn't the most likable character. In my opinion she gets much better the more you learn about her background. I do agree on the Maze Runner ending. Augh! Anyway, great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning a post on that, but I'm going to see where that goes because I don't want to blindly hate on something that so many people enjoy. But oh well. :) Maybe I'll return to the Throne of Glass books, maybe not; we'll have to see.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I knew your unopopular opinions would be awesome!

    I kinda agree about Harry Potter, Twilight, and Mortal Instruments: didn't hate HP, but I don't get the hype either. I don't /love/ Twilight, but I think it has its good parts that a lot of people ignore. And, though I liked the writing in MI, I couldn't get into the romance either.

    ... I don't even want to talk about Maze Runner.

    OMG YES INKHEART IS GLORIOUS. IDK if I like the movie better, but I definitely agree that Inkdeath kinda messed up everything. :p I think my favorite one of that series is Inkspell though.

    Also, that Jack Sparrow gif. Perfection. ;)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. INKHEARTTTT. I'm a little angry about some aspects but it still gives me warm fuzzies, because it took over my life for a few months there. xD

      Delete
  7. I'd be really interested in hearing specific reasons you don't like Harry Potter one day.
    Also, I just put down the Mortal Instruments halfway through book 1. It was a little weird for me. I know that there is incest and gay romance in the series (Pinterest spoilage) and it's just . . .not my thing. Plus I found Clary boring.
    And yes, I'm sick of fluffy dresses. From the back cover blurbs I deduced most of them weren't my thing so I don't even bother picking them up anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People keep saying that about my Harry Potter opinions, so maybe I'll give it to you -- I might make a lot of enemies, though.

      But so be it.

      Delete
  8. I've not read Harry Potter, or Twilight. I'm not exactly interested in reading them though. . . *shrugs*

    TFiOS didn't work out for me either. It was fine at first. I found the characters hilarious and fun. But then it just kind of dragged out too long and was a little to predicable. The writing was good fun, but I'm not much of a contemporary reader either.

    Oo, the girls in big poofy dresses. I don't really like face covers. At all. But now that you meant the dress covers, I realize they turn me down. I've never seen a dress cover and thought, "I want to read that! What a cover!" Yeah, no. Especially if it premises to be dystopian or sci-fi. Big dresses do not say "The end of the world" to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you -- both are things that you can totally avoid and not be missing out on anything, regardless of what people may tell you (especially on the Harry Potter front).

      Exactly! Sci-fi books with a girl in the dress on the cover just...that doesn't scream sci-fi. Or things that interest me. *shakes head*

      Delete
  9. Yes they did perfect casting of Dustfinger, and I actually didn't mind the ending of Ink Death it seemed like a very realistic ending with some happy and some sad. I didn't feel moved by TFiOS it wasn't my kind of book. Beautiful Creatures is dumb, and I totally agree with you on number seven so overused;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe it was just me, then. I'm rereading the series soon so I can see what I think about it now that I'm older.

      Delete
  10. Whenever people do this tag, I always want to say "Why not though?" but I'll spare you.

    I don't really want to read the Beautiful Creatures series either. I just see it a lot, but meh. Not that interested.
    And the Dystopian Girl in the Dress Covers. OMG YES. I HATE THOSE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it's a fun tag, because I have so many 'wrong' opinions. *laughs in my wrongness*

      Delete
  11. Bwhahaha oh Aimee. You never fail to make me laugh with your sarcasm and snarkiness! 😂 um YES on Celeana... What is it with all the fans she has? The doorknob was correct when he called her whiny.
    Alllthhoouugghhh I have to call you out on Harry Potter because Aimee!!!!! How can you not have at least semi-enjoyed this series? Oh dear.
    Whatever tickles your peach, I spose ;-) I won't hold it against you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a rebel child and don't tend to enjoy things that people tell me I should, apparently. And perhaps I'll put up a Harry Potter post sometime and explain myself, because people keep asking me.

      Delete
  12. I really didn't like either romantic interest in the Maze Runner, but the conclusion to that triangle just felt /so wrong/. And yay! I'm not the only one to dislike The Fault in our Stars. In fact, I hated it. Both characters got on my nerves. I felt not pity for them, and DNF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeeaaahhhh Maze Runner was definitely faulty in our area.
      *high fives for TFIOS*

      Delete
  13. This had me grinning - although I do like HP (I didn't read it until a year ago, though!)
    I only ever read the first Twilight (and I never saw the movies), but it made me laugh so hard I cried. Bad writing, melodrama, Edward's hair, it's just too hilarious to hate.
    Maze Runner - I've only read the first one, so I don't know, but I do not like love triangles in general.
    TFIOS - Overrated, pretentious, silly, and unrealistic to the max.
    Celaena - I have never liked her. And everyone I know loves her.
    Cassandra Clare - I don't think I need to say anything
    Beautiful Creatures - Dreadful, could not finish
    Inkheart - loved the movie, not the books, gets things thrown at her for this all the time.
    This post = refreshing and fun
    - R @ Wordsmithing and Worldbuilding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people like Harry Potter, so I don't blame you. xD Twilight is very amusing and I spend a lot of time laughing at it too, most definitely.

      Delete
  14. Dustfinger was 10000% incredible. THAT IS ALL.
    And I'm gonna go cry now because you hate so many of my favourite books. ;-) BUUUUT. I think Harry Potter is overrated. I think if I'd grown up reading it, I would've loved it to death. But now? I think it's too wordy and the pacing is totally messed up. Like it takes 500 pages to get to the action and then we get 50 pages of action, a few chapters of "what just happened" info dumps and then the end??? I is a little annoyed.
    YEAH I DON'T LIKE HOW THE MAZE RUNNER TURNED OUT EITHER, THO I STILL LOVE THAT SERIES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, we tend to have very different reading preferences!
      I agree with you on the Harry Potter thing, although I don't think child me would have had the patience for it then either. I mostly take issue with people shoving it down my throat, or hating on me for not liking it, because it's just like any other book people don't enjoy???

      Delete
  15. Ooh, this is interesting. I have a deep sentimental love for HP but I haven't read it in a long time. I really enjoyed Twilight when I was 11 or 12, and it really annoys me when people just knee-jerk hate it to be fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twilight. I er, liked it too. It wasn't my favorite book ever, but it also wasn't /terrible/.
    I can't offer opinions on most everything else, because I haven't read most everything else on this list. XD

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.