The Perks of Writing Sci-Fi

7:00 AM




Yup, you guessed it, Week Two of our genre-themed month is focusing on sci-fi. 

This is my favorite genre by a longshot. It's mainly what I write, and mainly what I enjoy reading. And now, you all have to put up with me fangirling about it. (Also I'm going to use Firefly gifs for this post because sci-fi and I can.)


Is sci-fi hard to write? Undoubtedly. Just because it comes more naturally to me than most other genres doesn't make it less of a struggle -- one day it might actually drive me insane because HOW DO YOU EVEN SCIENCE. 

On the other hand, writing sci-fi is pretty awesome for a lot of reasons, and here are some:

1. Things can get pretty weird 

Maybe this is just me, but I love my fiction as bizarre and out-there as possible, especially when it comes to sci-fi. Living steampunk prisons? Cyborg Cinderella? Giant moles and other usually small mammals? British immortal alien humanoids in time-traveling police boxes? Bring it on. Sci-fi has a whole universe (sometimes multiple universes/dimensions) of opportunities available, and I'll admit, that's pretty awesome as a writer. 

Have I mentioned that Wash is my precious little snowflake because I adore him
2. An endless variety of settings. 

Contemporary is self-explanatory when it comes to setting, as is historical fiction. Even fantasy is pretty much always (with some exceptions, of course) based on a real-life historical setting and there doesn't tend to be much variety. With sci-fi, however, you have so many planets and spaceships and alternate-dimensions and multiple time periods to choose from! Heck, you could have several wildly different settings in the same book. The options are pretty much endless. 

And we will call it... THIS LAND. Which is honestly better than most sci-fi names we can't pronounce.

3. Science. Fiction. 

Admittedly YA sci-fi has the problem of taking science out of science fiction (more on that on Thursday), but for the most part, I adore seeing the science and the possibilities shown in science fiction, and exploring that myself. Sure, it's a stretch a lot of the time. It might not be actually possible. But that's kind of the point, isn't it? As I'll say in my next point: it's outlandish and I adore writing/reading that. Science Fiction presents us with a whole lineup of scientific possibilities, whether it's robot armies in the future, time travel, a steam-and-gear-powered Victorian Era, or cowboys in space. Most of the time exploring this science has something pretty intelligent to say about human nature and the world we're in now, too. 

ariel animated GIF
Because this is sci-fi, there's a solution for that. BOOM. 

4. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

Let's face it: most sci-fi is totally out-there. That's just how it is, and that's why we love it. The freedom to write totally goofy, fun things like Firefly or Incarceron or Railsea is pretty dang awesome. Heck, have you seen Doctor Who? It's an absurd ride and it's absolutely fun. Sci-fi is serious, yes, and I love it when it's gritty and hardcore, but somewhere in all that space exploration you can't take yourself too seriously. 

But it's all good, don't worry. 

And finally but not least importantly...

5. Those action scenes, tho. 

SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. Zero-gravity fight scenes. Alien fight scenes. Aliens in general. Anything involving crashing spaceships. Epic. 

Oh, Jayne, how I love you.

What's the point of all this, you ask? To bully you all into writing sci-fi to show you the wonders of the kind of thing I write, so you can all be amazed and want to write some sci-fi yourselves. 

Carry on. 


Do you write sci-fi? Have you ever tried? What's your favorite sci-fi movie/book/tv show?

34 comments

  1. You make sci-fi sound awesome (which I'm sure it is!). B) The closest I might have come was my Fence Jumpers serial, but it's a little bit of dystopian, too. I do have a couple ideas whirling, though, that I would really like to do. :D

    My favorites... for TV shows, Doctor Who is always awesome (but I want mai 11 back. :< ), but one that has really drawn me in is Falling Skies. It might be more apocalyptic, but still lots of sciency gadgets and doo-dads, and I've felt more attached to the characters than I have in any other show. For books, J. Grace Pennington's Firmament series are excellent. :3 Space craft and unexplored planets with a bit of mystery thrown in. B)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling Skies is my favoriteeeee. I've definitely cried over it before. xD

      Delete
    2. Aww. XD I've always liked how Pope can both exasperate me and make me like that he exasperates me. o.O I've felt the need to smack him. >_> Repeatedly. Possibly with a chair.

      But it's over now. :< Although I'm glad it ended without having gotten worse, really… :3

      Delete
  2. Just about everything I write is sci-fi. It's my favouritist genre everrrrr. It's just come naturally to me when I write. My favourite sci-fi novel would have to be either Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson or Avalon by Mindee Arnett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss. I just started writing a sci-fi of my own, and I'm kinda terrified and absolutely excited. It definitely has a different feel than fantasy, but it's pretty awesome.

    And, I tagged you for a thing! - http://awritersfaith.blogspot.com/2015/09/behind-scenes-writing-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'VE GOT THIS. Sci-fi is awesome. xD And thanks for the tag; I'll get to that soon!

      Delete
  4. While I've personally only written stories with sci-fi influences, not hardcore sci-fi, I really want to. I've never found the right idea to go with it. It's absolutely fascinating, but the science-y aspects are harder for me, who just naturally works better with fantasy. It's such a great genre though - so many possibilities. I mean, Red Rising. That is all that needs to be said. xD

    Doctor Who is the greatest for a range of things; aliens, ghosts, you name it, its probably been in the show. Although if we're going specifically with aliens, Falling Skies is the absolute best ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o *pounces you* You like Falling Skies?! :o I have not really met anybody who watches Falling Skies. o.o Except maybe the waitress at P.F. Chang's… but that may not count. XD

      Delete
    2. IT IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST. Granted, I'm a couple seasons behind because I can't find it anywhere to watch it, but I love it so much. It's such an under-appreciated show, though, and I almost never find anyone who has watched it.

      Delete
    3. FALLING SKIES IS THE BEST. *hugs you both* I have allllll the feels over it. Gah.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. X3 *glad she's found FS peoples* You must watch all the Falling Skies! Acuz things get intense. o.o B)

      Delete
  5. FIREFLY!!! *sings theme song*

    To be honest, I am not much of a sci-fi fan. Not that I haven't tried and I love Doctor Who and Firefly, but sci-fi...huh. I think I just figured something out. I like a lot of sci-fi shows and movies, but I'm not big on sci-fi books. Hmm...

    BUT FIREFLY. I LOVE FIREFLY. AND WASH. AND MAL. AND SIMON. AND KAYLEE. AND RIVER. AND ALL OF THEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't been able to find a lot of sci-fi books that I've enjoyed, but I think that's mostly the fault of YA sci-fi, sadly. BUT FIREFLYYYYY. *hugs mah babies* I think Simon is my favorite. xD

      Delete
  6. I always have a really hard time putting any of my stories into a specific genre, but Science Fiction is probably what they all fall closest to. I love the freedom and the quirkiness and the TWISTING OF NORMALITY INTO WEIRDNESS (I just like twisting things) and all the things that are technically impossible but so very, very close to being possible that I can make them happen anyway. IT IS BLISS, I TELL YOU.

    Though I don't really write hardcore sci-fi (think Star Wars, Doctor Who, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), because I'M NOT FUNNY ENOUGH, AND IT KILLS ME EVERY DAY BECAUSE HARDCORE SCI-FI MUST BE FUNNY (unless you want it to be utterly stupid *whispers* like Star Wars *hides*).

    And I have not seen Firefly BUT I WISH TO SO MUCH. I am crying now because of the beauty I have not yet witnessed.

    But anyway, sci-fi is glorious and beautiful and easy to rant about, so yep. I'm with you here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I have a hard time with the really hardcore stuff too, but oh well. *shrug*

      Delete
  7. You are my new favorite person ever, because you used so many Firefly gifs. And seriously, that show is such a great example of how versatile science fiction is, and I love that it balances the sci-fi aspects with the usage of realstic, nuanced characters. *hyperventilates*

    I tend to write sci-fi more than anything else, and I love to read/watch it more than anything else as well, so high five on that. And these reasons for loving sci-fi are great--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just HAD to use the Firefly gifs in a sci-fi post. It was absolutely necessary. *nod* It's my favorite sci-fi thing everrrr and I have all the feels.

      Delete
  8. Fantasy is usually my genre of choice when I write, but I do like venturing into scifi. Also Firefly is the best! Wash is my favorite. (now excuse me while I shed a tear or two). Have you ever watched Farscape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've never really gotten into fantasy when I'm writing -- but that's okay. :) I haven't, but it's obviously something I should look into, so thanks! ^_^

      Delete
  9. This post was perfect because of the Firefly GIFs. Wash...my heart.

    Also, you had some good points. It's fun to read Sci-Fi because you never know what you're going to get and it has the power to be extremely original. Definitely need to find me a Sci-Fi book to read...

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES I WRITE SCI-FI AND I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Although, I don't write it very science-y so please don't throw things at me. xD I just don't really undrestand a lot of science concepts...and I more like it because there are so many OPTIONS, like you said! You can totally just do anything and have any sort of people group or culture or technology, omg, I love the technology. It's just epic fantasy with technology, for me, SO I ADORE IT. *ahem* I've written 2 sci-fi books and they are my tiny adorable babies and they're horrifically written and hopefully I'll rewrite one day. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science is harddddd so I feel ya. :P I usually just skim it over because I'm an ignorant child most of the time, but it's really so fun to write.

      Delete
  11. I love sci-fi. I love to write it. I love to read it. I love to watch it. ^ ^ Firefly, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Falling Skies ... BRING IT ON!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my favorite part of sci-fi is the worldbuilding (both reading and writing), where there is an endless amount of possibilities. Also, YES THE ACTION SCENES. Love them sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many possibilities and I love ittttt. :D

      Delete
  13. Even though historical fiction is my favorite genre, sci-fi is still really awesome and probably take second. My main WIP right now is science fiction and I'm having a blast writing it. I love all of the possibilities it presents because it's one of those genres where you can make up weird things and still somehow make them seem plausible. I don't think I realized how much research was actually involved in sci-fi, but I've now realized that I'm going to need to do a ton of research for my fourth draft because I'd really like to base my worldbuilding on actual science. At least I'm a science and math (and English, obviously! The only subject I don't like is history which is weird since I like reading historical fiction and history non-fiction on my own) person anyway, so I like reading stuff about space for my novel. Pretty much reading something non-fiction for a WIP makes it fun no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is funny to me because I have such difficulties with historical fiction, but hey -- we're all different and that's cool. :D I loveeee the weirdness of sci-fi, even though it take so much work. And I'm not naturally a sciency person so research is a beast but oh well, we do the best we can.

      Delete
  14. Great post! I actually think fantasy is as full as possibilities as science fiction (It's my favorite genre, so I might a tiny bit biased). The only thibg is that fantasy author rarely get out of their comfort zone aka european settings and folklore whereas science fiction authors aren't afraid to make up the craziest of stuff. Sci-fi can be ridiculous at times but ridiculous can be very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never attempted to write sci-fi. Mostly because I tend to have a very limited idea of it (polished metal spaceships gliding through space basically sums my conception up) and I never have gotten any plot bunnies that I wish to transfer to sci-fi . . . oh I wonder what would happen if I moved Nitri's story to a sci-fi world . . . ugh look at what you've done Aimee. Anyway I always end up doing more research than I really want to for FANTASY and I can't imagine trying to research for sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh, I LOVE READING SCI-FI BUT I CAN'T WRITE IT. And/or I haven't tried. Maybe I have. *tries to remember* Nope. I think the thing about me is that I love to explore science but I don't like to learn about it which does not make me a good candidate for a sci-fi writer by a long shot. Nonetheless, I think your perks of writing sci-fi also double as things that are fun for us readers, too! I mean, if you didn't like writing it, it stands to reason we wouldn't like reading it either, right? I do enjoy sci-fi, though, and I love it as a genre, so I hope to see plenty more of it blossom in the coming years!

    Also, I am wearing a Firefly shirt while I write this and so I wholly approve of all GIFs with the authority my t-shirt gives, me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.