A Blogoversary Interrogation

7:00 AM




Recently, I gave you darlings the opportunity to send me questions that I would answer on my blogoversary. It's a few days after the actual blogoversary date, but I posted a different thing then so today is the day. You asked me many questions and I loved all of them so we're going to have fun with this. Some will be serious. Some will be sarcastic. Some will be goofy. Basically, I had a blast answering them. (Note: I combined some of them because they were very similiar.)


What's your favorite musical genre/What is your favorite song? 
It's called electronic punk-rock with aggressive ukulele. This is the song that's currently stuck in my head. This is the song that means the most to me, the one I really feel, ya know? This is a song I'll love forever and ever because it gives me warm fuzzies. 

If you were stranded on the moon, and you could only bring three books with you, what would they be and why?
I have a hard time with this because, like, if I were stranded on the moon I would guarantee you books would not be the first thing on my mind, but whatever. I'll roll with it. 

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman because it's my favorite and would help keep the crazies away. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo because you could read it like ten times and still find new things, plus it's super-long and important. Horseradish by Lemony Snicket because when you're stranded by yourself you'll need plenty of questionably helpful and very amusing advice.

If you could have any of your characters come to life who would it be?
*whispers* what do you mean they're not already real?

In all seriousness this is very difficult to answer because (a I like them all in the worlds they should be in or (b they're not people you would want to meet on the street. But I'm very fond of Havard and I would like to meet him because he's my awkward little INTJ anxiety buddy and I have many feelings over him.

AWWWW THE PRECIOUS BABY
just LoOK AT HIS ADORABLE LITTLE FACE 

What do you feel like God wants you to do with your life? 
This is edging to the serious side of things, but that's okay. Honestly I'm still trying to figure that out -- heck, I'm 15, I've still got a lot of life to go through -- but I'm feeling very strongly that writing is something I'm supposed to pursue and doors keep opening there so we'll see where it goes.

Do you like any musicals other than Les Mis? 
I haven't explored as many musicals as I would like to but I will say that aside from Les Mis I also grew up on Phantom of the Opera and Newsies so. I'm sure this didn't affect me at all.

reaction animated GIF

Outside of writing, reading, and blogging, what is your favorite thing to do? 
I...wasn't aware that there was a life outside of these things? I do karate and stare at the wall and surf Pinterest. 


What about Bucky Barnes? 
*wild flailing* 

I have a whole host of feels regarding Bucky Barnes and basically I could write blog posts/essays on the man and ughhhhh. I won't even exaggerate the level of feels here because it's kind of sad. (Look at me, answering questions helpfully.) 

How many serious writing projects do you have, ranging from finished to "I plan to write this plot bunny?" 
This is an excellent question. 


I have a novel I"m going through serious edits with (Pariah), around six finished first drafts (some of which aren't going to move past that stage because they were learning experiences), and ten plot bunnies that I plan on definitely writing eventually. I'm actually writing up a post on those plot bunnies I'm excited about soon!

What inspired you to write? How do you incorporate your faith into your writing? 
As for what inspired me...this is tricky because I don't remember? When I was too little to write I used to got through picture books with pretty pictures and narrate the story in my own style/come up with new plot twists, and when I was a little bit older me and friends constructed elaborate games and I was usually in charge of those plots, and then I started writing down the stuff that came into my brain. So I guess I've always been doing this in ways? 

As for how I incorporate my faith into my writing...well, that's incredibly important to me. My faith bleeds into everything I do -- at least, I would like it to be that way, and especially with writing. I don't write Christian fiction. I don't write books that a lot of Christians would consider Christian, in fact; I try to write honestly and I try to write the world as it is and not how I want it to be and I've dealt with all kinds of...things. But I still feel that I'm letting my faith shine through in that -- I like to deal with things like being noble and selfless when it's hard and doing good for the sake of it, and hope, and overcoming dark times and dark things, and it's important to me to keep my morals very clear even when things aren't necessarily black and white all the time. I'm trying to write things that point back to my worldview and things that give people encouragement because I like to deal with tough stuff. I feel like I didn't explain that coherently, but oh well.


Discuss your sock-wearing habits. 
I have many issues and dislike wearing socks unless absolutely necessary because they're uncomfortable. Same with sweatshirts and such. Sue me. 


I noticed in your blog about your mission trip that you said you reconnected with God (if I recall correctly). What exactly does that mean for you? I've had experiences where I've reconnected, but specifically you? I think it's really cool you're a Christian, but I notice you don't talk about it much (not a problem, of course), but how does that shape your views? :) There are some bloggers that are Christian that talk a lot about in their book reviews and so on. I'm just curious about your position :)

Okayyyyy. Not talking about it much is something I've been considering lately, wondering if I could do a better job at letting my faith be a part of the blog (I'm sure I could), but I can definitely assure you that that's a huge part of at least how I think about and process things. A lot of issues I take with books come from my worldview and the set of morals that come out of that worldview as well; I want it to be a part of everything I do and how I think about everything I do. So I'm repeating the same thing over and over because words are hard, but that's how it is. This has been a big deal since the missions trip (woah, look how I worked that transition in) and I started to finally figure out that hey, this is what I believe, and it needs to not just be a Sunday thing but an all-the-time-everything thing. I reconnected in the sense that I realized I was trying to shut God out of some areas in my life and that was leaving me seriously limited and pretty unsatisfied. It's something I'm still working on, but it's happening. (Great question, by the way!) 

Do you have a favorite TV show? 
My favorite show of all time ever is LOST, which I have cried over multiple times. Currently my favorite is Bones, which is also giving me ALL THE FEELINGS. I just finished binge-watching season 6 and excuse me while I wail into a pillow for several hours. 

PRECIOUS BABIES. 

What do you think is the most important thing to keep in mind while blogging? 
Why am I doing this? I blog because I like having somewhere to throw out all my ideas, and because I love being part of the community. Once I start stressing about writing something that will earn new followers or make people happy or get so many views or get a ton of comments or whatever, I shut down and it's no fun and I may as well quit right there. You don't owe the blogging world something spectacular. You don't owe them something everyone will agree with. You don't owe them a post every single Tuesday just because. I think it's so, so important to keep in mind why you're blogging and what you want to say and what you, personally, think about what you're blogging about. Don't stress it. 

And finally, the most important question...do you prefer dogs or cats? 
I am a cat person. I can't stand dogs. I just...no. I love cats. They don't care about you and they're fluffy and like to kill small animals and have zero cares about you and the rest of the world. They do what they want. 


Thank you all for the fantastic questions! I loved doing this. I've loved blogging for a whole year. And it's all due to you fabulous people who are still reading, for some reason. Thanks for sticking around. Here's to another, even more awesome year. Love you all. *hands out cake*

29 comments

  1. I loved your answers!

    I do prefer dogs, but when you explain cats that way, I can definitely understand why you like them. They're like low maintenance friends. They do their own thing. You do your thing. And every now and then you notice each other. XD

    I love your answer to how you incorporate your faith in your writing. It's just-- I agree. I struggled with that a lot, sometimes still do. How much is preachy, and how much is not enough? I think it should be a subconscious thing though. Every writer writes their worldview into their story without even realizing it. Because it's a part of them, and that's the part of them that gets written in. Being a Christian is a part of who I am, and my worldview is going to fall into my books without me trying to make it overt or having to throw it people's faces (something that ought never be done).

    Havard! I have no idea who he is, well, until just now. But he sounds awesome. And I like him already. He also has an awesome name. :)

    That writing project question sounds difficult to answer. I don't think I could've done it. I'm definitely looking forward to your post on all those different plot bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I get annoyed with "Christian fiction" because most of the time it's shoving it in people's faces, and I don't believe that's the right way to go about it although I'm sure the intentions are good. So I do my best to make sure my worldview is bleeding through everything I do and that I'm being consistent with the themes I put in and the things the book says, and hopefully that's not the worst thing I could be doing. :)

      Awww thank you! He's Norwegian and I adore him. I'll have to do a Beautiful People with him sometime or something.

      Delete
  2. Now I want to meet Havard as well. There's not a good amount of INTJ MC's that I've found, and while I write an almost MC who is and INTJ, the real MC is an ESFP, which is... interesting to write. Then in my other WIP, the MC is an ISTP.

    I don't know. I want an INTJ MC, but I'm too lazy to start a third WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? INTJs are usually the villains, but my mom and some of my friends are INTJ and I find them really fascinating so I really wanted to work that in. And I loveeee my baby Havard. He's so different from me and so fun.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit, I'm a dog person (though I like cats, too). And I do love socks :)
    I'm always interested in how people incorporate their beliefs into their writing. I've never been a fan of Christian fiction because it seems too overt to me and not quite real. A character who has mostly bad qualities and one or two redeeming qualities is so much more interesting than a character who has mostly good qualities and only one or two good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't very real...that's what I hate about it. So I try to avoid that and write real people. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been a little out of the loop recently and seem to have missed your blogoversary (shame on me), so, HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY! Also, your answers were fun to read, and I totally feel the same way about socks.
    "You don't owe the blogging world something spectacular." <I love that line, and I think it is definitely something I need to keep in mind. I usually don't stress about blogging, but recently stress has happened and it has taken all the fun away. I'm trying to do better with that! :P
    Thanks for sharing, Aimee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thinking up a post about this soonish, actually, because it's something that bothers me...the idea that we would wrap ourselves up so tightly in blogging just to be a popular blogger. Because I get caught up in that too and it's not the greatest.

      Delete
  5. Once more, happy blogoversary!! It was so cool to read your answers and get to know you better. I totally get the sock thing and I really hate dogs as well. They're so insincere. I can't wait for your plot bunnies post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, should have mentioned this before, but I tagged you for a thing, if you're interested.

      Delete
    2. Ha, I wouldn't say I /hate/ dogs, but they're not my favorite animals ever. Cats are much meaner but more fun.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Happy blogversary. And I'm with you on the whole cats vs. dogs things. Cats are evil and I love them. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwhahaha they're the perfect writer's pet.

      Delete
  7. I completely agree with your assessment of cats. I can't stand dogs. I have two cats and they are evil Viking princesses. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blogoversary!
    Lol, I love your answers! Personally, I'm a dog kind of girl, but from your explanation, I get why you would like cats.
    Incorporating my faith more is something I've started thinking more about too! It's kind of difficult since you don't want to be overly preachy, especially if some of your readers aren't Christians. But it's a huge part of who we are, and I think it's important to show that. :)
    I feel the same way about blogging! I'm an introvert, but when I'm comfortable, I love to talk and spew my thoughts everywhere, lol. The blogosphere, I've found, is a good place ot do that. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay you're a fellow cat lover. I feel the same way about them. ^ ^ I'm glad that the mission trip brought your closer to God. I love when times like that happen. It really helps to reaffirm one's faith and I'd love to hear more about it in your blog. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have more posts like that coming, now that I'm figuring out what I want to be all about this year...the missions trip really opened my eyes to that in a way and I'm glad it happened.

      Delete
  10. Aw, yis. I love cats more than I love the dead of winter. And I love love love love warn socks and big sweaters and sweatpants and aaaahhhhhhhhhhh yes.

    Back when I wrote, I had the same issues with incorporating faith into writing. (I don't have too much of an issue with that anymore due to the...you know...Christian blog and all.) I was always afraid I'd sound preachy or just the opposite. (...But now I guess I'm just full-on preachy. Haha.) And the same thing happened to me over the summer, but with camp rather than a mission trip. And it was (and still is) pretty dang awesome.

    /Lost/?????? *Pain* I love /Lost/. But I'm currently binging /Reign/, /Supernatural/, and /X-Files/ (which are all fantastic).

    And gah, I love you and your blog in general. And Happy Blogoversary!



    www.knowingthepower.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you know by now how I feel about your blog and such. :P

      LOST. LOST IS THE GREATEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN. *flails* I've not seen the other three but Supernatural and X-Files are on my list, so...I'll get to those soon.

      Delete
  11. Happy blogversary!
    Agh, Bucky Barnes feels!

    I love your answer regarding how you incorporate your faith into your writing. I've always disliked "Christian fiction" because many of those books tend to sacrifice plot and characters for the sake of evangelizing. Don't misunderstand me, I think it's great to point people to God with your writings. It's just that most of the time Christian fiction is terribly written and predictable. Some absolutely amazing books are written by Christians and aren't like that. Tolkien, for example. Like you were saying, his books aren't "Christian fiction", but you can still clearly see his faith through his writings. I just wish more people would write that way.

    I'm so glad you have a non-villainous, normal INTJ. The stupid stereotyping of the INTJ type drives me utterly insane.

    I love Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera and Newsies too! I've been meaning to watch Lost, but given the sheer magnitude of my current list of TV shows I need to watch, that's not likely to happen soon.

    Dogs and cats are equals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? There's nothing WRONG with Christian fiction (unless it's not theologically sound, which is definitely a problem) but there's hardly any substance to them and it really doesn't teach you anything. So I want to try to make my faith clear in a way that doesn't totally turn people off. Tolkien is a great example. :D

      Heh, my mom is INTJ, so I really wanted to write a character who wasn't the villain. Down with stereotypes!

      Delete
  12. Aimee--I love this post. I come to your blog every few weeks and catch up on posts, and always I come away with the conclusion that you are an incredibly sweet, funny, and thoughtful girl with a special heart for the Lord. Your answers about seeking Jesus, and how you incorporate Christianity into your writing--so beautiful. I relate with you on the writing thing. Though I'm a deeply committed Christian, and talk about it a lot on my blog, my writing is much more subtle, and mostly talks about people living with good and bad choices in hard life circumstances.

    We should start a club, or something. You know, I love writing like that. In some ways, I think it expresses Christianity more deeply and authentically.

    Just wanted to stop by and say I think you're one cool girl, I love your GIFs, and happy, happy blogoversary!! :)

    ~Schuyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks so much! This made my day. <3 Writing like that means a lot to me, and I wish there were more books like that because those are usually the ones that influence me the most.

      Delete
  13. "If I were stranded on the moon I would guarantee you books would not be the first thing on my mind, but whatever" <I really value that you said this because I know some readers who would not say this and so I greatly appreciate your practicality.

    Also: CHALLENGER DEEP! LES MIS! PHANTOM OF THE OPERA! NEWSIES! ALL THE GREAT THINGS! :D :D :D

    It's cool to see how you interpret God in your life and how you've picked up faith and mission tripping and writing in your work and your blog. It's always good to see that. :)

    I like cats and dogs and—okay, do you live in a warm climate? Because for serious I don't know anyone who is going to say no to socks and sweatshirts starting this month. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Ohio, which is basically the worst place ever in the fall/winter, but I have texture/sensory issues, so winter clothes and socks tend to be a nightmare for me. xD

      Delete
  14. This is awesome and interesting. Being a christian and blogging and how much faith to put where is something I try to think about. I am christian, but that isn't really at all related to my blogging, but at the same time it is because it shapes everything I do and how I see the world. These are some interesting questions. Also, I'm a cat person, although I have a dog, and am trying to convince my family the mice in my house need a cat.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.