Thankful

7:00 AM


Look at that, I survived NaNo.

*strokes the pretty fall colors* 
It's Thanksgiving here in the US, and since everybody else in my blog feed has apparently decided to post something like this, I'm writing up a post late at night and jumping on the bandwagon. But I think it's worthwhile anyway: sitting here on my floor, an hour after finishing NaNoWriMo and winning for the third year straight, I'm realizing that I have a lot of reasons to be thankful. 

So here are some things I'm thankful for, in no particular order: 

A world to live in. Okay, but I think we ought to acknowledge this more often. I don't often remember that God's given us this whole world and a life and pretty things to enjoy and music and hearing and Les Miserables and hope and a future and all of that. So that's the best thing to be thankful for, being here at all. 

Food. And lots of it, if you're like me and want allllll the pie.

I don't even watch Supernatural but I just had to. 
The best best friend in the whole entire world. Because seriously, you're pretty cool. 

Family even when they're annoying and I want to disown them I love them very much.

Neal Shusterman because Challenger Deep just won the National Book Award thingy for this year, which was totally earned and deserved, and the Unwind series is a gift to the world also.

Actual real-life friends that I have now, somehow, which is cool. Love you guys. 

Online friends because you people understand me, and always keep me writing. Which I need. So thanks for that. 

I can now feel okay using Elf gifs, so watch out. 
Twenty One Pilots because up until this year I didn't get it when people talked about a band changing their life, but that's much more understable now. Can't wait to see these dudes this spring and cry the whole time.

Switchfoot while we're on the subject of bands, because they're always and forever my favorite. 

Grace because woah, how is a thing that we have when we/I so don't deserve it but totally need it. 

Chocolate and I don't think I need to explain this one. 

Writer friends because if I didn't have you I would be alone and sad. And finally... 

All 11 seasons of Bones because I am so close to being caught up now and that's scary but this show has given me a way to binge-watch something fabulous when I should be doing other things since early July. 

That's not an exhaustive list, of course, because when it comes down to it we should be thankful for everything we have in every way, but I'll leave it at that before I start rambling. If you live in the US with me: have fun eating lots of food today. If you don't: eat lots of delicious food anyway, because that's always advisable. I'll be back for real next week, to hit you with all the delicious details of my NaNo month. Aren't you just looking forward to that. 

What are you thankful for this year? 

13 comments

  1. I'm thankful for many things right now, so I'm not going to list them all, but I think this year I'm especially grateful for my friends. I went through some rather difficult things last year, and without my friends (and God, of course), I would have ended up in a pretty dark place. So yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, honestly. Friends are just the best <3

      Delete
  2. Those are all great things, especially Switchfoot and Twenty One Pilots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alwayssss Switchfoot and Twenty One Pilots.

      Delete
  3. Pretty much everything you stated there. As well as my pets, because I really love them. Today really is a good day to think about all of those things that you really just take for granted, and to just take a moment to realize how lucky you are to have all of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I feel like I don't usually take the time to be thankful and realize what I have, so I want to get into that habit more often.

      Delete
  4. Watch Supernatural. It's amazing.

    I'm thankful for pretty much everything. Grace deserves a special mention. Perhaps I don't like to say it, but more often than not, I'm simply happy to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Additionally, I was also kind of creepily stalking your NaNo profile, so I kind of knew you finished the word count.

      Delete
    2. I wantttt to watch Supernatural but there are so many other shows on my list too...*deep sigh*

      And stalking my NaNo profile is totally cool. Just sayin' -- I welcome the non-creepy type of stalking here. :P

      Delete
    3. You can stalk me in return if you want. I kind of liked getting to watch someone else's progress - how they wrote, when they took breaks, that sort of thing.

      Suuuuupernatural. It hurts, and I'm only into season five, but it is worth it. Maybe not everyone's thing, but I think you'll like it. Fair warning - everyone dies. And it has so much angst. We do deal in misery - we're writers - so perhaps that's not as much of a sticker as normal. But I digress.

      Delete
  5. It's a little late to comment, but I'm thankful for my family, books, movies & TV, writing, good music...all the usual suspects :) Congratulations of finishing NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those are all lovely things to be thankful for. *nodnod*

      Delete
  6. All good things to be thankful for! I'm thankful for fall colors and friends too. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.