A Guest Post by Sarah

7:00 AM




Today we have a guest post by the amazing Sarah, so listen up, people.

--------------------------

Hey, everyone! I’m Sarah and I’m guest posting about an experience that’s changed my life. For more, you can check out my blog, The Power, where I talk about my struggle to make God the center of my life.


A couple months ago, I attended an I Am Second training conference/retreat that was held at my church. While we were there, the guy that preached to us (David Martin) mentioned something to us that changed my entire outlook on life.


Our entire purpose in being alive is to say one thing: “Come back to God.”


I was made to reflect this in every breath


in every step


in every move


in every thought


in every word.


This is what I should be remembered for.


I was a writer for four years, and in those four years, I wrote five full drafts (70k-100k each). I loved it. I loved writing. I loved sitting at my desk in the dark with caffeine pumping through my veins and carpal tunnel flaring in my wrists (okay maybe not so much that part). I loved talking about writing with my friends and word warring and being a part of the GTW community. I loved imagining myself published. I loved imagining myself making it a career--waking up before dawn to hash out the words I so desperately needed down on paper and out of my brain.


And I personally don’t think there’s really anything wrong at all with being a writer. However, without even realizing it, I became obsessed. I didn’t try to do it; I still read my Bible and spent time with God. I still worked to live for Him.


My anthem slipped.


And in every breath


in every move


in every thought


in every word


I was a writer and nothing more.


So God called me to quit what I loved.


And since then, God has broken barrier after barrier after barrier and pushed me to do things I’d never even dreamed of being able to do before.


I found my purpose--it’s why I’m alive. It’s why He chose me.


Writing is not a bad thing. Honestly, it’s not. It’s not evil to want to tell stories or get published. You just have to keep your anthem straight.


My anthem becomes my every breath


my every move


my every thought


my every word.


“Come back to God.”


I don’t want to be remembered for writing books or reading a lot of books, or being an avid coffee-consumer, or drawing, or being a little weird. I want to be remembered for loving Jesus and loving people.


God chose me before the creation of time. I want to make it count.


I only have one chance to be remembered for something.

It needs to be this.

7 comments

  1. *squeals* Thanks so much, Aimee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It is so important to keep God the center of your life and to not have too much of a good thing. I love that quote: "Come back to God."

    Keep fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This. Post. Is. Awesome! Thank you, Sarah! I enjoyed reading your testimony of God, and am glad you wrote it. I agree with you that God must come first. I'm glad to stand by you in this, and glad to hear that in this world there are people such as you who love God so deeply. This world needs that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming back to God is the purpose of our existence. I believe we should praise him in all we do. I feel like writing is one way I worship God. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you, but I do know that I'm going to remember you by the words. "Come back to God."

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.