Beautiful Books #3: The One About Editing

7:00 AM


November is over, so here we are.

bb-redone

If you're somehow not aware yet, Beautiful Books is a writerly link-up run by Cait and Sky. It's pretty awesome and I've been doing it for the past two months, so now I'm finishing up by answering questions all about editing/my NaNoWriMo project, We Caught A Vampire. Yay! 


On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), how did the book turn out? Did anything defy your expectations?
HAH. 

It admittedly wasn't the best thing I've ever written, but I'm giving it a 7 anyway because it was just so dang fun to write. I don't usually write things that are just fun/funny/lighthearted, so this was pretty great. I didn't go into it with any expectations other than to wing basically the whole thing and have fun and all of that happened, so I'm 0% disappointed. 


Comparative title time: what published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men.)
I've actually thought about it for this one! We Caught A Vampire is Psych meets Supernatural with a dash of Welcome to Night Vale. None of those things are books, but whatever. 

I just really wanted to use this somewhere. 
Do you enjoy working with deadlines and pressure (aka NaNoWriMo)? Or do you prefer to write-as-you’re-inspired?
NaNoWriMo is my life. If I didn't have pressure and deadlines and stress I would get exactly no writing done, and I don't believe in writing just when I'm 'inspired' anyway, so November is my most favorite month for writing. Give me allll the deadlines. 

How do you go about editing? Give us an insight into your editing process.
Ha. Ha. Ha. 

Editing is...rough for me. And strange. I've only had to do it with my baby Pariah and I'm not finished with that, so I'm not the most experienced with editing, but it's usually something like:
  • Rewrite first draft entirely 
  • Work on Pinterest storyboard. Cry. 
  • Next draft. 
  • Keep drafting/outlining/crying/Pinteresting. 
I'm not very effective. It's mostly a lot of rewriting and crying and binge-watching shows when I should be editing.

What aspect of your story needs the most work?
Plot. Because right now there isn't one. (Which is what I wanted out of this first draft, but still.) 

Actual representation of my 'plot' at the moment.
What aspect of your story did you love the most?
The characters, because homeschooled teenagers running around looking for vampires is everything I've ever wanted to write. And there's not much else to talk about. Lots of sass and pop culture references happened, so that was fantastic. 

Embedded image permalink
*cringes because NaNo writing*
Give us a brief run down on your main characters and how you think they turned out. Do you think they’ll need changes in edits?
I'm so glad you asked. 

Booker:
This is Booker. He's ENFJ and fluffy and bookish and a bit of the Bilbo Baggins of this adventure, but he loves his friends, so he humors them and looks for vampires anyway. He gets some nasty surprises. He turned out better than I expected, though I'd like to work on his sass and YA book references and such. I was still figuring him out when I wrote this draft. 

Flint:
This is Flint, the ENTP whirlwind of chaos. He's a conspiracy theorist/supernatural enthusiast who starts the whole dang road trip in the first place. He's sarcastic. He likes Doctor Who. He goes after ghosts without fear and vampires with slightly more fear. He's a little bit glorious. I would like to work on his character more, though, because he didn't come out on the page as well as I'd hoped when I was in a rush. 

Tasha:
That brings us to Natasha, the INTP writer and all around awesome human being. She has a dark sense of humor. She's curious about anything and everything. When it comes down to it she's the one who kicks the boys into actually getting stuff done and, you know, finding somewhere with free wi-fi. She introduced herself just a little bit before I actually started writing, so I had to figure most of her out as I wrote and I'd like to work on her chapters a little more. 

What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers? Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
I'm so glad you asked this, because I actually have an announcement for you guys. 

Sometime in January, I'm going to begin editing this thing and whipping it into shape, and posting the edited chapters on Wattpad. That's right. You'll alllll get a chance to read the thing if you wanted to in the first place, and if you didn't I guess I'll just shove it down your throats until you decide to give it a read. I'm thinking I'll post maybe one chapter a week or so, since this isn't my main project, but we'll see. One way or another, you will get to read it starting in January. (It probably won't be my most quality writing, but I wrote this purely for fun and I'm posting it purely for fun, too. So whatever.) 

Share a favourite snippet!
Oh, I have so many favorites.

This is Ezra, the ESFP vampire. I love him very dearly. 
What are your writing goals and plans for 2016?
reaction misha collins west collins so many

I want to get Pariah into decent shape and find more beta readers, and hopefully also start editing my goofy Norwegian sci-fi/mental illness novel, whatever it even is anymore. And also post chapters of WCAV. I don't do plans very well, in case you hadn't noticed, but those three things are for sure on the list. 


So conclude the questions. I had a ton of fun shoving my novel down your throats these past few months! :D 

What are your writing plans for 2016, if you have any? 

26 comments

  1. *cough* So, um, if you're not looking for only fresh eyes, then I'd love to reread Pariah and see how it's changed and of course give you comments, I'm clearly offering out of altruism. Yep.

    NATASHA LOOKS FOR FREE WIFI. She is already my favourite character. And ha, you cringe at that writing? My draft is basically a series of concepts and notes to self strung together by random artsy formatting my November self thought would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss I would love to have you read it again! I'll put you on the list and let you know when it's ready. :D

      Natasha is practically my spirit animal.

      Delete
  2. This looks like SO MUCH FUN...I can't wait to see it up on Wattpad! Ezra the vampire sounds awesome (but then again, so does everyone else). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to share it with everyone.

      Delete
  3. Aaagh, this looks so good! I love your characters already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM SO EXCITED TO READ WCAV LIKE I CANNOT EVEN EXPRESS HOW MUCH I WANT TO READ IT. *takes deep breath* HURRY UP JANUARY. Also, Harvard also sounds amazing and I look forward to that too because yes.

    As for 2016 writing goals.. hah... editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails* THANK YOUUUU I WANT YOU TO READ ALL THE THINGS.

      Delete
  5. This snippets were awesome can't wait to read it on Wattpad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to write all the things in 2016. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally in love with all your characters-- especially Ezra. xD And I can't wait to read this in January!! It sounds so good!!

    Also, I know you're probably drowning in tags right now, but-- *ducks head* I tagged you for a MBTI thing. Which you totally don't have to do if you don't want to. But I'd enjoy seeing your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ezra is my favoriteee. xD And thanks so much for tagging me! I'll be sure to do it next week.

      Delete
  8. I love your characters already! Congrats on winning NaNo again, by the way!
    My goals for 2016 are to WRITE EVERYTHING AND READ EVERYTHING AND EDIT EVERYTHING. Maybe not. But I'm super ambitious about all this right now and I always look forward to a fresh start in the form of a new year, so hopefully I get something done. Specifically, I want to make a major dent in my fantasy novel (maybe finish it?). It's just really time that I get down to it and finish the thing, and I really love it so I'm looking forward to getting back to it. Also, I want to finish the (sorry) first draft of my NaNo novel. It'll probably sit for a while as I work on my fantasy, but I do love this book too so hopefully not for too long. I'll probably end up working on them both at the same time because I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu! I think our goals are very very similar...basically, I have a lot of stuff to get done/write/read and I don't want to do any of it. But oh well.

      Delete
  9. Oooh sounds exciting! Congrats on all the writing you got done for Nano! I'm thinking about giving it a go next year, but for now I'm still in the process of drafting and also editing some work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And good luck with your own writing...it's wearing me out at the moment. :P

      Delete
  10. GOOFY IS LITERALLY THE LAST WORD I'D USE TO DESCRIBE HAVARD BUT OKAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL

      I CAN'T LET THE POTENTIAL BETAS KNOW WHAT THEY'RE GETTING INTO

      Delete
  11. *SQUEALS* This story sounds exactly like the sort of thing I love to read. I. Can't. Wait. To. Read. It. Yes, please.
    Those sound like good goals to me. My own goals? Learn Italian, all about the Medici, and all about astronomy so I can finish a historically accurate, polished version of Oath. And I want to finish Oath, but that is always my goal.
    Also, I am going to write my bi-polar goof ball getting himself into all sorts of mythological trouble in a desert that wants to kill him. I am so looking forward to this.
    Good luck in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D

      Learning Italian sounds fantastic. xD I want to read all your stuff too o.o

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad writing this story was a blast for you! It sounds pretty cool. Homeschool characters for the win! Best of luck with editing!

    I did BB too! http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/12/beautiful-books-editing-process.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have one goal for 2016/the entirety of 2017.....finish writing the first draft of my first book.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.