January Wrap-Up

10:13 AM


Prepare for Hamilton gifs.
So concludes the first month of the year. Sigh. 
I'm exhausted, you guys. 

BLOGGING
My schedule wasn't as consistent as I'd hoped but you know how that goes. 
I refuse to apologize for my Hamilton obsession.
GUYS. I am almosttttt at 100 followers. Almost. That's kind of amazing. *showers you all with chocolate* (I promise I'll have more posts for you in February, as a reward.) 

WRITING
Hahahaha. 

You won't be surprised if I tell you it was a Pariah month. A huge Pariah month. I've got another list of beta readers lined up, so that adds some pressure. I've been less consistent than I'd like to be with re-writing, but honestly it's been worth it. This plot is working out better than any plot before, and while I'll need to do some serious proofreading before I send this to people, I'm enjoying writing it immensely. My precious steampunk babies are getting into all kinds of trouble. 
Oh, the precious troublemakers.

Aside from that I put some We Caught A Vampire on Wattpad -- you can find that here. I'm throwing all the things to read at people on the internet this year. and only partially stressing about it.
Richard Castle the writer is actually me.

ALSO. I wrote 12k in one day with the lovely Katie. We both survived. Somehow.

READING
Yes, I'm trying to read 250 books this year, and yes, I'm starting to regret that, but no, I don't intend to change my goal anytime soon. This month in particular I read maybe 18 books? So that's cool. 

Favorite Book: Unbound. It's (a Neal Shusterman and (b a collection of short stories from the Unwind world, so that speaks for itself. It was horribly amazing and disturbing. In close second is Placebo Junkies. I didn't expect it to be good, but it blew my mind and oh my gosh. 

Least Favorite Book: Both of Me, which I didn't finish because the writing was pretentious and I just couldn't. But as for ones I actually did finish...Rule of Three was just plain plotless and dull and Quarantine was nothing but angst and unrealistic teen violence. Sigh. 

Comics: Ms. Marvel, which was surprisingly fabulous and 100% hilarious. (Also it featured an unexpected Wolverine appearance that couldn't have been more perfect because I am a sucker for surprise Wolverine in all situations.) I wasn't the hugest fan of the art, but other than that I adored it.

This month I bought Unbound (of course), and pre-ordered both Morning Star by Pierce Brown (*SCREAMS AGGRESSIVELY*) and Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. I can't wait for both of them, because they'll probably break me. 
I just don't. 
FANDOMS
So much stufffff. 

The Hamilton obsession continues, and none of you are surprised. But let's be honest: I'll always have a secret fondness for snarky rap-battle Thomas Jefferson. 

this is a Very Legit Broadway Show and I love it so much
I'm on Season Four of Castle, which I'm watching with the little bro. Rick Castle is everything. 
I finally know where this gif is from. It's beautiful. 
AGENT CARTER IS BACK. I AM WATCHING AGENT CARTER. PEGGY CARTER IS AN ACTUAL FLAWLESS HUMAN. 

There was a new Neal Shusterman book this month and he announced a new one so, like, I'm on top of the world. 
You knew Neal Shusterman was coming. also a jefferson gif.

Gettin' real excited for the TOP concert in May, you guys. 
my new favorite man. 

LIFE
Lifeeeee. *angsts* 

School is...a thing that's happening? Not a bad thing, though. I'm doing a ballroom dancing class this semester and that's going well. 

I tweeted a lot? But I always do that. 

I went to Pittsburgh! It was fabulous. And very cold. 

I was tired a lot. Obviously. 

I'm driving now???? Scaryyyyy. 

Basically, life was life and January is not my favorite month. *mopes*

So.


What did you do this month?

35 comments

  1. You are definitely being more ambitious than me with both the writing and reading schedule. Of course I've also been trying to launch an indie video game project, but I feel like I'm off to a slow start.
    I felt the same about Ms Marvel; the art style did not always excite, but I loved the stories and the writing, and it is fantastic seeing a hero outside the usual mold (and I'm a sucker for a coming of age story).
    The wife and I are up to the latest season of Castle. They are all great, but then its Nathan Fillion, so of course they are.
    I love what you have on Wattpad... keep it coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan Fillion is the absolute best, always.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you were much more productive editing-wise than I was this month. xD I'm so committed to it that I work on it almost never because it's evil. *sigh*

    UNBOUND WAS BEAUTIFUL. EVERYTHING IN IT WAS GOOD. AND THE WRITING. AND MY EMOTIONS. AND JUST. AGHH. *weeps*

    Peggy Carter is actual perfection. She's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing suckssss. xD *weeps with you over all the things*

      Delete
  3. can i just say that you and your twitter are hilarious? i don't have one but sometimes i just stalk everybody in the blogosphere's and then i happen across yours and i'm like DANG THIS GIRL GOT MY SENSE OF HUMOR.

    but i love these wrap up posts; sounds like you had a productive january!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job with your 12k day! I don't know how you even managed that. I once did a 10k day with a bunch of people on Write Deck and the last few k were so difficult because at that point I was already feeling super burnt out. But it was also fun and the feeling of accomplishment is awesome. You know, I really hate rap, but I kind of like some of the Hamilton songs. We've been listening to a few of the songs during history because we're learning about the post Revolutionary War era right now. Ahhh! Driving! I haven't started driving yet, but I will soon. It seems scary. I don't know if I trust my coordination or my ability (I mean, *cough*, inability) to keep from getting lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I'm not sure how I managed it either. I'm certainly not dying to do it again o.o (I'm not a fan of most rap either, but Hamilton is an entirely different work of genius.)

      Delete
  5. Love your writing! Especially the vampire story, I need to start watching Castle again,I forgot about the brilliance of Rick Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well last week I listened to Hamilton for the first time, so I'm complete Hamilton trash. And I'm pretty sure I've memorized at least half of it by now. I was snowed in for too long...
    I'm really enjoying We Caught a Vampire. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwhahaha I'm so glad you've joined the Hamilton bandwagon. It's completely fabulous.

      Delete
  7. Rats, did you ask for beta readers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not here on the blog -- I had people already waiting -- but if you're up for it, I'd certainly be willing to add you to the list!

      Delete
    2. Definitely! I just finished beta-reading my second novel and now I'm taking a break from my writing, only one hour a day, so this would be awesome! I miss beta reading and my last one was less than a month ago! xD

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you've had a very busy month this January! I'm so glad to hear that Pariah is going to well. January seems to have been the month of editing and rewriting for a lot of people. I've been editing myself, though I don't think I'm anywhere close to the beta stage yet. I would love to be, though. But we'll have to see how this draft turns out. Also, congratulations on your 12k day. Those are so HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the more I read your posts the more I love you. lol.

    but AHHHH HAMILTON!

    and AHHHH YOU'RE SEEING TOP THATS SO EXCITING! Im excited for you!

    congrats on your 12k words. serious hats off to you. I envy your writing skills man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got thoroughly addicted to Twenty One Pilots this month especially. Thanks for that, by the way. :P

    Ballroom dancing sounds fun. I'm kind of jealous now.

    Life...basically steam rolled me in January. I had a lot of fun the first half of the month. But then last week happened, and stuff went down, and I think it's going to take all of February for me to get back on my feet.

    *plays TOP because angst*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've joined the TOP obsession. :)

      Ughhhh I feel ya with the life thing. But we've got this...somehow!

      Delete
  11. Heyyy you're driving too now? *highfive* It's scary but I love it cause it's kinda fun. :P

    HAMILTON. xD I'm completely hooked and have a problem. :P

    *REALLY NEEDS TO READ UNWIND IMMEDIATELY*

    Ack I totally agree that January kinda stinks sometimes. :P You made it better with all our flailing and everything and PARIAH. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH ALSO I WAS GOING TO POINT OUT THAT /NOW/ YOU HAVE 100 FOLLOWERS SO YAYYY! :D

      Delete
    2. Driving is kind of the best, even if it is terrifying at times. xD *aggressively shoves Unwind at you* AD YES I DOOOO.

      Delete
  12. I kind of sat here and tried to think of what to write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. January has been such a stressful but wonderful month for me--it's great that you got so much writing and reading done! I need to read Ms. Marvel--it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was wonderful for you! I would definitely recommend Ms. Marvel.

      Delete
  14. I love your passion! The excerpt from your book was really cool to read. I can tell you have a ton of fun writing the dialogue :) And what a great goal: 250 books in 2016. I've only read a measly 2 so far this year, my goodness. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AGENT CARTER ALL THE YESSSS.

    Also, I am so, so excited about Pariah and dying for the day when I can read it. Speaking of reading, I need to catch up on WCAV.

    You're planning on reading 250 books this year? O.O Brave girl. You can do it though. And it'll be epic. ^_^

    I still don't understand how you can manage those 10K/12K days. I feel faint at the very thought. Basically you and Katie are amazing and should make a club of Ninja Writers with Cait.

    I fully intend to read the Unwind series this year. Thought you might want to know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like January was a pretty productive month for you, Aimee! 12k in ONE DAY? How is that even possible? You have insane writing skills, I swear! Also, I really love the format of your monthly updates - I may well be borrowing some of your ideas in the future!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read this the day it came out and then I never commented. Way to go, me. I'm glad to hear you liked Unbound (because I guess something could go wrong but it's Neal Shusterman sooo) and also Ms. Marvel. That was quite interesting for me.

    Also: Castle and Hamilton GIFs? Be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you like Saint Anything? I am intrigued if only by the title.

    Beautiful gifs. A+.

    Thank you for your lovely comment on my story!

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.