The 6 Types of Writer's Block

4:36 PM


Trust me, I speak from personal experience here. 

Writer's block. It sucks. (To be fair, I don't exactly believe in writer's block as a thing. But that's what we call it, so that's what I'll call it. Savvy?) If you've ever written anything at all ever, you know the feel. It's crept up on you at some point. Breathed on your neck. Pointed at what you're writing and laughed about it. 
says the writer's block.
This heinous thing we call writer's block comes in different forms, depending on your situation and what's most inconvenient to you. Because that's just how life works.

In honor of my current very-sucky writer's block, let's take a look at that. 

1. The writer's block. This is what you think of when you think about writer's block. You're staring at the blank page. The blank page will not respond. You want to rip your fingernails off one by one so you can experience something less painful than this thing you're experiencing. That, or you just want to complain about it on Twitter until someone comforts you and kicks your butt into gear about it. This writer's block is easily defeatable, because it usually comes from laziness. sorry, but it's true.
the bane of my existence, right here.

2. The procrastination block. Also known as: an excuse. I'm just throwing shade on everyone today. You don't want to write. You don't have the energy/motivation/desire to put words on the page today, or this week, or this month. I feel ya. We all feel ya. We've been there. So you put it off, and call that reluctance writer's block. "Ughhhh, I haven't done any writing this week. I just have the worst writer's block." 

To be fair, you might not realize that's what it is. You may not be able to consciously admit it. I've done this so many times I don't care to admit it. We're all lazy writers sometimes. This is the biggest struggle. Ugh.
Preach it, RDJ.
3. The plot-block. This happens a lot with first drafts, especially if you're a hardcore pantser like me. You have no idea where your plot is going. Or where your characters are going, for that matter. You have exactly nothing planned out. So you hit the inevitable wall without anything to use to knock it down. Cue staring at the document, shaking your first at the screen and cursing your pansting tendencies.

This is usually my main problem.
me with everything always.
4. The "wat r werds" block. It happens to the best of us, especially when you've come back from not being able to write for a day or two a while. You sit down, ready to continue your story, only to discover...how do you even words. Your sentences suck. Everything sucks. What is spelling. You're stuck, having been defeated mainly by your own mind. Ergh. 
The gif was necessary.
5. The tired block. Self-explanatory, and always frustrating/painful.
That awkward moment when you need to write, but nothing comes out. Nothing makes sense. Ew. Bye.
6. The block of death. The equivalent of someone throwing a very heavy brick at your head and running away laughing as you fall to the ground.

This is the ultimate block. The "everything sucks and I don't know why" block. This is what I have right now. As far as I know, there's no cure. You just kinda have to...wait it out. And it's no fun at all.

What can you learn from this? Writing is the worst. 


SOMEONE SEND HELP. What do you do when you're hopelessly blocked and nothing is working? Let's wail together.

36 comments

  1. I tend to try and woman up, start typing up anything, everything. Stupid jokes. Pointless dialogue. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I'll also go back and re-read, add in bits where I've been meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was sadly but hilariously true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have has all of these, but I have the last one right now and it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. still currently in the block of death. fortunately for me, i'm not blocked in blogging, so i've just been blogging + waiting everything out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh I just recently got out of it. The struggle is so real.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, the block. The worst. It can be laziness sometimes, but I definitely feel the tired block/plot block. Because you're right, sometimes...um, all the time...I have NO CLUE where my story is going. To get over writer's block, I look at inspiring images on Pinterest, pray, or go for a walk/run. Music helps too. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accurate. I always have too many ideas and no way to connect them all into something that actually makes sense, so sometimes it scares me away from working on my story for a little while. Something that helps me move the story forward is skipping ahead a bit to a scene that I know needs to happen, and then filling the rest in when I'm feeling better about my story/life. :) Best of luck to you with your writing struggles. These things do happen. You got this. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. My writer's block is currently the school-has-taken-over-my-life type. This is what I get for trying to do too many things at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, school is the worst right now. *glares at it*

      Delete
  8. I am also in the 'block of death' right now, Aimee. Auugghhh KILL ITTTT. I can't edit for more than a few minutes right now because I just... IT ALL SUCKS WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER. *sigh* *pokes novel with a very sharp stick* Hopefully we come out of this block alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *glares at the block of death evilly* I'm working my way through it now, but it still sucks.

      Delete
  9. I can related to #5 the most. That happens to me when I'm not getting enough sleep. >.> I hope your awful block ends soon!! Unfortunately I have no words of advice to give with that one. Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my struggle is the block of tiredness. xD

      Delete
  10. I've gone through every. Single. One. of these more times they I care to admit (especially the procrastination/laziness) ones, and the only advice I can really give is that it gets better. It ALWAYS gets better. And sometimes focusing on something else for a little while (like a blog post!) is exactly what you need to get back in gear. I honestly think that our brains are incapable of focusing on the same thing for too long, and sometimes you just need a break. Hope this helps--I know you'll get your mojo back . :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, it's the worst. I'm lazy and I procrastinate, but with those I've found it works best to just force myself to get off the Internet, listen to some Hamilton (but not too much Hamilton, I'll get too invested in the plot and still get nothing done), and woman up. The Block of Death is horrible. I have no idea how to get out of that, really, but sometimes I just start writing about other things such as my frustration with my inability to write, which at least forces my brain to do something aside from wallow in despair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I've been listening to a lot of Hamilton too lately, and I have no regrets. At all.

      Delete
  12. I feel ya! I'm in the Block of Death right now. Usually what I try to do is blog about my novel and/or go through the Beautiful People archives (unfortunately, even my blogging is going through a Block of Death -- the most intelligible thing I've written lately was a grocery list). Hope you conquer this writer's block soon!

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, am in the blog of death. It's the worst.

      Delete
  13. You know my feelings on this *flops*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't mean to laugh but ... *dies*
    (Those gifs tho)
    PUSH THROUGH IT, AIMEE! YOU'VE GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blahhhhhhhh. I know all of these blocks. I have the procrastination block this moment and it is TERRIBLE. But at least we writers can commiserate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whhyyyyyy am I reading a blog post about writer's block rather than actually writing?!?! I don't even have block! (I don't think it's a thing either.) I'm excited about my story! I'm just ... prioritising ... my ... blog feed archive ... ???

    THAT'S NOT LOGIC, EMILY!

    Anyway, despite the irony here, I loved this post! My general strategy (though I repeat, it's not a thing!) is to write something different. Get out the novel for a bit and write a short story or something. That normally clears my head.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, the blinking cursor.....Hello my friend! Long time no see! My writing teacher has found the cure for The Writer's Block......RAPID WRITE!!!!! Just start writing. Doesn't matter what. Just. Write. Get it out of your head and down on the paper/on the computer. Do anything to get that blinking cursor to go away.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.