March Wrap-Up

11:11 PM


Writing this late at night from a hotel room after a long day of walking around thinking about art, so don't expect me to be coherent. Sorry in advance.

still using this sucky image because i'm too lazy to make a new one.

MARCH IS OVER ALREADY. WAHT. SPRING IS UPON US. 

BLOGGING

I think I did pretty okay this month! Not as good as I'd have liked to, but pretty okay. Let's just have a round of applause right here. 
I think I'm working things out? I have ideas for more posts this upcoming month, so never fear. More bitingly-sarcastic and probably late posts will come your way in April, if I survive the first week or so of Camp NaNo. But more on that little hurdle later. 


BOOKISH
I'm 6 books behind on my goal for the year now, so... *wails* Summer is approaching, though, so hopefully I'll have a chance to pick up on the slack and read like a fiend then. Otherwise...oh well. This month, though, I read a fine 19 books, so I don't feel too badly about it. 


(See How They Run not included. That was last month.)
Favorite Book: I actually read a ton of good ones this month, comics included, so that's fabulous. But my overall favorite turned out to be Catch-22. ACTUAL PERFECTION YOU GUYS OH MY GOODNESS. I've never enjoyed a school read so much before. I need to read it again, immediately. Everyone should go read it. Gooo. 

Least Favorite Book: I expected to like Not If I See You First, but mostly I was just...confused? And disappointed. I'm not sure what the point of the book was and it wasn't great anyway. (Zebulon Finch was pretty bad/pointless too, but that had more redeeming qualities. Sigh.) 

Comics: Lots of new Marvel! A Marvel Now! omnibus happened, and that was mostly enjoyable. Runaways was meh but entertaining. I'll love Daredevil forever and ever and ever, can I just adopt Matt Murdock and give that boy a hug. But Hawkeye...oh, Hawkeye. I'll never be done crying over Hawkeye. That's all. 

I read so many good books this month???

WRITING
This, too, is going fairly well. 

What is this madness. 

Draft 9 of Pariah is working out splendidly, in characteristic distressing fashion. I broke through all/most of my plot issues and started writing like a madman again, which resulted in me being almost. done. with. this. stupid. draft. Not quite where I wanted to be, but it was a hard month to work through, so I'm happy. And do you know what this means? 

Sometime near the middle of this month I'll be putting the call out for beta readers. (You could be a beta reader. Y'know, if you wanted to.) 

Scary, isn't that? I'm crossing my fingers that this draft doesn't suck, mainly because I'm proud of it. 

But let's not forget the fact that April is Camp NaNoWriMo and I will, as usual, be doing the thing. Which also means that every Friday this month you're going to get a short report from me on how I'm doing and some snippets and words of encouragement/despair and stuff. I'm writing a sci-fi retelling of The Iliad by Homer. It's Red Rising meets Star Trek meets Ender's Game. Blood and guts and space battles are goin' down. It'll be a wild ride.

satan evil laugh reactions evil devil

*Hamilton voice* ONE MORE THING. 

As you know, WCAV has disappeared from Wattpad, before which it was not updated even when I promised to update it regularly. Sorry about that. It's a failure on my part. But it's because...WCAV has been edited. Updated. Changed drastically. And now there are aliens. So you'll just have to wait until after this month to hear more about that, but yes, you will be seeing more of these characters in the future. On Wattpad. In the form of a story. 

FANDOMS

Let the rambling begin. 

Hamilton continues. Not even sorry. My love for the ever-problematic Thomas Jefferson grows by the day. (Let's face it, it's really just Daveed Diggs.)
What a flawless jerk.
This has been a month full of Star Trek: TNG. Lots and lots and lots of Star Trek: TNG. I blogged about this already but I love this show so much more than I thought I would. Character development, actual ethical issues, things to think about, plenty of stuff to poke fun at...it's basically perfect and I'm way too attached to Data. And Riker's beard. And everything else. 
Craps! (Star Trek: TNG)
just look at these lil' nerds. all my favorites in one place.
I will always be a sucker for pretty British shows. Downton Abbey sucked me in and it was all downhill from there. The latest? Mr. Selfridge. It's such a guilty pleasure and I have no regrets. But the colors are beautiful, the drama is high, and it's such an interesting look at the dude who swaggered into London and started the first real department store, shocking everyone in the process. It's absolutely delicious and more intense than you might expect. 
that's it. that's the show.

I guess you could say my fandom tastes have been...all over the place lately. Sue me. 

ONE MORE THING!

It's my absolute delight to announce that you'll be able to read my blogging on another blog, on a regular basis! More personal blogging, at that. (not that we aren't friends around here.) I'm joining the team of the newly-started The Desperation Project, a blog for and by Christians struggling with mental illness/recovery. Mental illness isn't something Christians tend to deal with the way we should, and honestly, it's not a discussion that comes up a lot considering how devastating it can be. I'll be blogging there weekly now, and honestly if would be great if you guys could hop over there and show it some love. 

*finishes awkwardly*

What have you been up to this month? How incoherent do I sound? (Also, if I was to start a Youtube channel over the summer, probably with the nerdy little bro, would you guys watch it???)

29 comments

  1. "Can I just adopt Matt Murdock and give that boy a hug." oh my gosh yes the precious child needs someone to look after him. I just want to hug him forever and keep him safe and basically I spent most of March weeping over him because he's the most cuddly adorable child ever. *nod* Also, Clint, oh gosh. (Speaking of Clint, did you see the Civil War mini trailer when he was fighting Nat? BECAUSE NOPE)

    OKAY SO YOUR NOVEL SOUNDS FABULOUS AND I WANT IT NOW. IMMEDIATELY. GIVE IT TO ME. *cough* xD

    Okay, The Desperation Project sounds amazing. Because yeah, mental illness ISN'T something *anyone* wants to talk about but some of us have illnesses and we need to talk about it sometimes and *deep breath* *goes and devours blog*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (YES I SAW IT AND I AM SCREAMING B/C IT'S SO NOT COOL.)

      *wants to give you all the novels*

      Delete
  2. YES, I WOULD WATCH YOUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL IF IT EXISTED. I have Reader's Block (that's a thing, right?) because I somehow ended up reading 7 books at once, so I'm just really slowly moving through all of them. I just watched 20 episodes of 'Star Wars: Rebels' in three days (What? You thought I was a semi-responsible 16 year old? Haha, no.). Honestly, I've been pretty useless this month. I started to make actual progress on the giant literary comparison paper I have to write, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy I totally want to do the Youtube thing, so I'm excited that people think it's a good idea.

      Delete
  3. You sound very coherent--much more coherent than I normally do! Also, I think I've mentioned this before but I really need to read more Marvel comics. Especially Daredevil, since the show is one of my favorite TV shows ever and it's blasphemy that I haven't picked up a comic yet. Your Iliad retelling sounds wonderful, and I can't wait to see what you'll do with We Caught a Vampire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. xD The Daredevil comics are amazing, so you shouldn't definitely check them out.

      Delete
  4. that other blog sounds freaking amazing! finally!! seriously. Christians need to start freaking talking about mental illness. like CHRISTIANS HAVE MENTAL ILLNESSES TOO. WE ARENT PERFECT. so good job on that. I cant wait to read it!

    also, same about Daveed Diggs. although my person favorite is Anthony Ramos. because he is a precious cinnamon roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN. It's such a problem that's close to my heart and I wish we would pay more attention to it, so this is my attempt to do just that.

      Delete
  5. Seriously, my life has been taken over by Hamilton. Which is totally awesome (wow!). XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best thing to have take over your life.

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading Not if I See You First, but it's one of those books that just keeps slipping down my TBR pile. I'm glad your writing is going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't the *best* book ever, but it also wasn't the worst and other people enjoyed it, so it's worth reading.

      Delete
  7. OH MY GOSH I WOULD WATCH THE HECK OUT OF A YOUTUBE CHANNEL FROM YOU AND YOUR LIL BRO. Dude, that would be the best thing ever. xD

    I loved the Hamilton voice, cause I totally imagined it. :P

    I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS ILIAD RETELLING YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. *SCREAMS* And looking forward to WCAV on Wattpad. Because I'm always gonna jump at the chance to read a thing from you.

    *many hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WOULD WATCH YOUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to the YouTube channel!!! Lol I'd love to know what your actual voice sounds like :) btw your blog is currently my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would most definitely watch your channel!!

    See you read 'That Hideous Strength' I recently sat in on my sis's college class about it. Cool and creepy stuff there, yep.

    'scuse my ignorance, but how does beta reading work exactly? Is it on Wattpad?

    Aaaand, the new blog is beautiful, SUCH a worthy cause there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine! Beta reading can work in lots of different ways -- usually you express your interest in the person's novel, they get your email, they send you the document, you let them know how you feel about it when you finish and give them critique and stuff.

      Delete
  11. I would definitely watch a youtube channel. Mhm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Camp NaNo project sounds SO GREAT. Also...a little similar to mine? (Except I'm doing space Shakespeare, because I'm an idiot and I like space.) (Space is always good.)
    'Flawless jerk', yep, that's Jefferson. *sighs* The Hamilton obsession has yet to fade for me as well. I'll probably be making badly-sung references for years to come.
    Ooh, a YouTube channel would be awesome! Basically echoing what everyone else said. Yep. Good luck for Camp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ISN'T CATCH-22 THE BEST? (It is. You already knew that, but I didn't want to leave any room for doubt.) I'll also be sure to check out The Desperation Project. I didn't really realize how much mental illness is stigmatized in the Christian community (yet another thing you can't "pray away") so I look forward to seeing the thoughts you and your compatriots share.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.