Writing Update #1 // In Which Pariah Stuff Is Happening (!!!)

11:05 AM


A new thing I'm doing so I can show you peeps what's been going on in my writing life lately.


That's right, nothing but Pariah has been happening this month. 

As I write this I'm 35k into Draft 9, most of which I've written this month. I'm trying to finish it this month so I can do something else for Camp NaNo (more on that tomorrow!) and hand this out to a new round of betas who have been very patient with me as I slog through the awfulness that is writer's block. 
me for the longest time this month.
HOWEVER. Very shortly after I wrote up a post on writer's block and complained about my own block of death, I had a breakthrough. A genuine breakthrough. A "I've been writing most of this draft the wrong way" breakthrough. I went back and rewrote some stuff over a couple of days, and ta-da! The thing was FIXED.

Excuse me while I scream forever because breakthroughs like that never happen to me, but here we are. 

Long story short, I've been going at Pariah from all the wrong angles. 

I have this problem where I get stuck in one way of doing a plot, or one event, so I just rewrite the same thing over and over and over and get frustrated when it doesn't work. It's like slamming into a piece of brick wall and only realizing that you can step a few feet to the right and go around it once you've given yourself a concussion and a bloody nose. If that even makes sense. I was coming at it from the wrong perspective, the wrong theme, the wrong character motivations. 

I had my antagonist all wrong.

Also it needed to be more steampunky. So there's that. 

Since the breakthrough I've been writing/rewriting madly. I think I might lose it by the end of the month. But now that words are happening coherently for the first time in forever and I ACTUALLY FILLED OUT AN ENTIRE PLOT OUTLINE OH MY GOSH, I can't seem to stop. I'm suddenly reminded of why I love this story, and why I love writing, and why I shouldn't ever quit. 

Also it's nice to know what I'm doing for once. 

Basically, this month's lesson is: if it's not working, try another angle. Look at things a different way. 

Rant over. 

What have you been working on lately? (ALSO. If you're interested in potentially beta-reading Pariah, I'll have more info on that next week!)

30 comments

  1. What writing? *groans* Editing is... editing, I suppose. I've been trying really hard to finish this fourth draft, but I'm getting no where. I shared a few chapters on my blog to kind of force myself to keep writing it, but LIFE IS GETTING IN THE WAY EWWW.

    Sooo.... if someone has beta-read Pariah before, will you let them do it again? *cough* hinthint *cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *groans with you* Editing is the worst. Life is the worst. Everything is the worst. xD

      And yussss you can absolutely read it again! I'll be in touch with you soon. :D

      Delete
  2. Editing for me is slow too, I'll be editing my novel for Camp...it's not going to be pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing never is. o.0 Best of luck with that! *hands chocolate*

      Delete
  3. I am the slowest editor ever. (Seriously, it's a problem.) I feel your pain. And beta reading Pariah? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss I'd love to have you read it! I'll have information up soon.

      Delete
  4. I'm editing (if you can call what I'm doing editing. It's mostly crying into my mug of coffee and waiting for the writing fairy to come fix everything) a novel right now, and I can so relate. I have yet to have that breakthrough, but boy, do I wish it would come. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing is ALWAYS mostly crying into coffee. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. My plot is coming together far better. It resembles nothing I did in draft one, and it's much more streamlined. My trinity of bad guys has come into existence: from the typical Dark Lord and his one-dimensional motives to pseudo-Dark Lord, vindictive super-assassin, and body-jumping psychopath to a dude who just wants to not have everyone he cares about die, the self-righteous conqueror, and (still) the body-jumping psychopath.

    I think that I'm having troubles with urgency, but the motives of the characters, some of the characters themselves, and their places have been sorted out. I've cut extraneous ones, figured out places for the ones I want to keep, worked others into different roles. The path to the endgame is a lot clearer, and while I don't have a physical outline, I can see very clearly where I need to go in my brain.

    Now, I just need to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad things are coming together for you! That's the nicest feeling. Keep at it and you'll get it all, I'm sure!

      Delete
  6. Ah, YES. Breakthroughs are awesome!!! I haven't had one recently, but I know/remember the feeling. It's great. :D


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sighs of relief because breakthroughs*

      Delete
  7. Dude, I totally get the brick wall thing. I feel that so often when writing...re-writing and editing the same thing OVER AND OVER. So annoying. Glad you got a breakthrough! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brick wall is the worst thing ever. It hurts to smash through it, but now I'm actually happy with what I'm writing? So that's neat.

      Delete
  8. YAY FOR GETTING THROUGH WRITERS BLOCK!! WOOT. I rarely get actual writers block these days because I plot so so soooo much. BUT. I get plotters block. XD Omg, it's the worst. But the breakthrough is the best. feeling. ever. (And isn't it ironic how sometimes confessing to being stuck makes you get unstuck?!!) YAY FOR THIS BREAKTHROUGH. CAKE ALL ROUND.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh I kind of wish I was a plotter. xD

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy for you! And this just happened for me, too, so I can totally relate :D
    I CANT WAIT TO READ IT *flails vigorously*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE HAVING BREAKTHROUGHS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF <3

      Delete
  10. 9TH DRAFT?!?!?! holy crap. you're insane. and I love it. wow. I thought I was losing my mind on the 3rd draft of my WIP.

    you go girl. you deserved that breakthrough. keep at it!

    also, I've never read Pariah, but I feel like it needs to be published. anyone who has that much dedication deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much for the encouraging words! <3 It's stuff like this that keeps me going.

      Delete
  11. Breakthroughs are the best, partly because I rarely get them. And I'm so glad to find out that you got through your block and are making progress in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods in relief and shares cake with you*

      Delete
  12. Okay okay this is both super exciting and HUGELY TERRIFYING and I need to read this new draft?? Please???? Gah my children I am not ready for this pain

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the best feeling, when something finally clicks while writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What if all you do is /stare/ at the brick wall? I applaud your running into it over and over again instead. At least that way, you are actively trying to get rid of it.. Breakthroughs are fabulous, and I'm glad things are going so well!
    If you need readers, I will gladly be one. I cannot, however, promise that I will be very fast.
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pssh, I don't need super fast readers. I'd love to give it to you :D

      Delete
  15. hi! I WOULD REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE TO BE A BETA-READER FOR PARIAH IF THE TASK IS AVAILABLE ALSO AYBE EVEN HAVARD OR LITTLE HERO PLEASE

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.