April Wrap-Up

7:00 AM


It was a quiet month around here because Camp NaNo happened and also I suck at multitasking. Sorry about that.


Basically: Yes, I am still alive. No, Camp did not kill me (but close). Yes, stuff happened in life. And yes, yes, yes, probably, I will be back this month. (Do I say that every month? I feel like I do. Oh well.) Pretty much all this comes down to the fact that: 
I've been waiting to use this for AGES.

BLOGGING

As you may have noticed basically nothing happened around here. Things did, however, happen on other blogs I posted for, as you're about to see. 
  • Writing is tiring and I complained talked about that at length. 
  • I blogged for The Desperation Project and I'm loving the way it's turning out so far. This is something I'm incredibly passionate about, you guys, and I've been blessed with the opportunity to write with the greatest group of Christian bloggers here. Even if you don't personally struggle with mental illness, do me a favor and check it out anyway? I truly believe we have some important things to say as we get this blog off the ground. (I run the Twitter account, so look into that too!) 
  • Rachel @ Silver Mess interviewed me! She's just the sweetest and her blog is the bomb. Do it for her, not for me. 
So, yes, not much happening around here. Sorry 'bout that. 
same, honestly. 
BOOKS

SO MANY BOOKS. SO LITTLE TIME. I'm still 6 books behind but hey, there's not much I can do at this point. I was 100% frazzled this month but I still found time to read 19 books. Which is the same as last month. Go me. 


Favorite Book: THE BELL JAR, YOU GUYS. THE BELL JAR. THE BELL JAR. I related harder than I thought I could. It's important. It screws with your head but in the best possible way. It's incredible, and also incredibly sad. Read it. You need to read it. Trust me. (Anna Dressed In Blood was also a heck of a ride.)

Least Favorite Book: There were lots I didn't enjoy, but I only got a few pages into If I Ever Get Out Of Here before I realized it and me just weren't going to get along. It's more of a personal taste thing than anything else, I do believe. 

Comics: Really just Hawkeye and Daredevil this month, actually. But oh, was it worth it. I loved the art. I laughed the whole way through. Kate Bishop, Clint, and Deadpool is the deadliest trio I can think of and it was a wild, candy-filled sassy ride indeed. 

Nonfiction/Poetry: I read poetry this month! Because, y'know, I'm educating myself now. Charles Bukowski's angst amused me and I like the way he uses words. I read a collection of modern poets and that was good, too. I also read a Winston Churchill biography written by the man himself and decided that he's one of my favorite historical figures ever now. What a snarky little British hero. 

Lots of "meh" books happened. Oh well. 
me, during most of these books.

WRITING

Boy, do I have a post coming on Tuesday. 

Camp NaNoWriMo happened, as many of you know. As many of you also know I decided to write a hard sci-fi retelling of Homer's The Iliad for my project. My goal was 80k. 

I hit that goal. I also finished the first draft. 

Basically, this thing I wrote is something I'm insanely proud of and want to start to edit already so I can make it less sucky. It's bloody and angsty and there are spaceships. My Achilles gave me so many feelings I didn't know what to do with them. I killed off three separate characters in their own POVs. I got to retell one of my favorite stories ever, and do so in one of my favorite genres ever. I was a happy cupcake this month. You'll get lots of collages and snippets and so on on Tuesday, so I'll leave the main flailing until then. Suffice it to say I made myself cry several times. 

NOW. BACK TO PARIAH. 

I did not put out the call for Pariah betas this month like I said because it is not, in fact, ready. So I'm cracking down hard on it this month and polishing up this draft. Nothing stands in my way. 

FANDOMS

Seriously, so many fandoms. 

Am I still obsessed with Hamilton? Yes. Yes I am. That's never going to change. 
deal with it. 
It's been a very Star Trek-y month for me. I re-watched the reboot movies (THERE'S A NEW ONE THIS SUMMER I CANNOT GOODBYE) and flailed over them. I'm making my way through TNG and realizing how much I love it and all the characters. I keep thinking about Star Trek, Star Trek, Star Trek. I'm sure you'll see more rambles about it soon, but basically it's everything I love about stories and sci-fi all in one place. Yes please.

I'm going to a Twenty One Pilots concert on May 30th. That time is rapidly approaching. I'm going to c r y. It's gonna happen. You're going to get a long ranty post about it, assuming I don't die of excitement sometime this month. 

Also, Star Wars??? ROGUE ONE??? GIVE IT TO ME IMMEDIATELY I AM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND OVER ALL THE SCI-FI GOING DOWN HERE. 
goodbye frens i am gone
Marvel is obviously intent on crushing my soul into tiny pieces. The Doctor Strange trailer is here and it looks fantastic, let's be real, even though I know nothing about Doctor Strange. (It does have Cumberbatch in it, though, so I don't know what else I was expecting.) CIVIL WAR IS COMING SOON. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. BYEEEEE. 

I think the point here is that everything comes back to my looking forward to Civil War and also knowing there's no way I'll be able to handle it. I'm going to write a review once I see it -- a non-spoilery review, don't worry. But it will be there. 

yep, bye, I'm gone.
I finished Downton Abbey. I am a wreck. Everything is happy and also not okay. 

Bones is traumatizing me. I can't deal with the feels and the serial killers, honestly. It just might kill me one day.

Oh, look, it's me. Accepting my death by fandom/Bones.


How has your month been, peeps? Can I call you peeps? I'm gonna call you peeps. Deal with it.

47 comments

  1. Civil War is going to wreck me. Like I will actually die. I cannot. help.

    Okay but aren't Hawkeye and Daredevil always amazing? XD Also what comic is the one with Clint, Katie, and Deadpool because that sounds absolutely amazing.

    I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING MORE ABOUT THE NOVEL. JUST. YES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Hawkeye Vs. Deadpool and you must read it immediately because it's so much fun and absolutely pointless beyond that and I love it.

      Delete
  2. So stoked you finished the Iliad retelling. 80K is insane, I don't know how you did it! But this story sounds awesome, and I'm on pins and needles for Tuesday. SNIPPETS. HAPPINESS.

    ~Schuyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I did it, either... o.o

      Delete
  3. DUDE CIVIL WAR. JUST WHAT EVEN IS LIFE. I CAN'T I JUST... AHHHHH. THAT WAS THE BEST MARVEL MOVIE TO DATE EVER. I CAN'T EVEN FUNCTION RIGHT NOW. I WAS SECONDS AWAY FROM CRYING TEARS FROM THE PURE AWESOMENESS. I'M SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK, BUT I CANNOT PROPERLY EXPRESS MY JOY AT THAT WONDERFUL MOVIE WITHOUT THEM. *DIES*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I FEEL THAT YES I AM GOING TO CRY SO HARD IT WILL BREAK US ALL I SWEAR

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finishing Camp NaNo! I can't imagine writing 80k in one month (you're amazing!). Can't wait for snippets of it. :D
    I wish I had more time to read and write this month, but school happened, along with a gigantic dance performance coming up in four days. Eek. But I finished the second draft of my WIP, so that made me super happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was crazy. *flops tiredly*

      Delete
  5. NOOOOO WHY DID YOU KILL ALL THE CHARACTERS I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE BOOK AND I WAS ALREADY TOO ATTACHED TO THEM. (Not that I expected anything else, honestly. *sigh*)

    And I actually watched the Star Trek reboot this month, too-- twice. :P AND I'M GOING TO GO SEE CIVIL WAR NEXT SUNDAY AND I CAN'T BREATHE. IF ANYONE DIES, I'M FOLLOWING SUIT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BECAUSE EVERYONE MUST DIE IT IS THE ILIAD THAT'S THE WAY IT GOESSSSS.

      *gazes into the distance and contemplates my death at the hands of Marvel*

      Delete
  6. Agh! This blog looks amazing! I must have this Iliad retelling. I haven't actually read The Iliad, but I hope to soon. I read The Odyssey and loved that.

    80,000 words?! *dies* I'm only trying to do 30,000 this month. I'm almost there...

    You are going to a TOP concert. That is so cool. I've been addicted to them since November and I hardly listening to anything else.

    Civil War is going to kill me. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu! I'd highly recommend The Iliad. It's such a powerful and important story.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! :-) I'll be sure to try to read it soon then.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, I can't WAIT to hear more about your sci-fi Iliad. It sounds so good, plus bloody and angsty is kind of my thing. :)
    I didn't read much at all this month (or at least I don't feel like I did) but I did love Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. And I did end up blogging a fair amount, which is pretty unusual for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's exactly my kind of thing too, hence why it was so much fun to write it. I had a lot of fun killing off allll the characters.

      Delete
  8. Civil War will shoot me in the head and dump my dead body into a pool of acid, but that's cool. I'll accept that.

    It is good to know you're alive and also I want that Illiad retelling. It sounds cool, and if you're allowing people to sign up and get their grubby little beta-reader hands all over it, then, well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sameeee. (And yes, I will keep you in mind for future betas.)

      Delete
  9. Normally I just read your posts in my email because I'm too lazy to pop over and review, but I have to come and flail with you over Star Trek. I just re-watched the movies as well, in preparation for Star Trek: Beyond and I. Cannot. Even. I am so read/not ready for that movie. And also everything Marvel, of course. Tbh when it comes to Civil War, I am very much a pacifist. I cannot wait for your review of it, though! It's so ridiculous that one movie can put such fear in me.
    I'm excited about your Iliad retelling, and hope to read it one day! Good luck with your Pariah editing! *awkwardly flails back into hermit hole*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for reading/commenting! *hands you donuts* STAR TREK BEYOND IS GONNA BE SO GOOD I CAN'T WAIT.

      Delete
  10. GAAAAAAHH CIVIL WAR. I AM NOT PREPARED. I'm so exited about your Iliad retelling, especially since I just read it recently. I will definitely check out The Desperation Project. The little I have read on there has been immensely encouraging to me, and I think it's amazing that you guys are doing that. It's definitely something that needs to be done, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails over all the things and thanks you*

      Delete
  11. I'm so thankful for Rogue One because otherwise I'll lose what little I have left of my sanity while waiting for Episode VIII. And the trailer skyrocketed past my low expectations, because it's promising angst and amazing character development and yush.
    And yay for writing. Your Iliad retelling looks absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rogue One is going to break me but at the same time I'm Star Wars trash to the extreme so I cannot wait. At all.

      Delete
  12. I'm intrigued to hear why you loved The Bell Jar so much. I read it recently as well, but I certainly don't feel the same way that you do about it. Great post! Sounds like you've had a good month. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to review it soon, maybe even on the blog! I loved it a lot.

      Delete
    2. I'll definitely look forward to reading that!

      Delete
  13. Twenty One Pilots!!!!!! You-lucky-duck-you!

    I've been absolutely HOOKED since you introduced us. (can't understand how I lived without them...the DARK AGES o.0 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwhahaha I'm so glad I've gotten so many people to listen to TOP. It's my biggest life achievement now.

      Delete
  14. The Bell Jar is awesome!! After I read it I was like 'why did I wait do long to read this book????' And a Twenty One Pilots concert?! That's awesome!! They were just in NZ, but I didn't go :'(

    I hope you have a great May! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I didn't expect to like the book and then I did...a lot. And I saw myself in it. I need to own it, now...

      Delete
  15. I love Star Trek, the reboots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on that 80k!! That's so impressive. It took me 2 years to do my 200k and you did that much in one month, wow.
    Also, I'm still completely in love with your story idea and I want it more than words can express. Seriously, sci-fi mythology is the best thing I have ever heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope to let you guys read it fairly soon. I'm u proud of the way it turned out.

      Delete
  17. I feel like every post I comment on (or try to comment on, as the case may be -glares at Internet-) is basically just me saying "CIVIL WAR !?!!!ASDFJGH!!!?" and being really scared, but that pretty much describes my feelings, so. I'll just say it again. #TeamCap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole month has been wailing over Civil War, so I feel you. Yep.

      Delete
  18. *resists flailing over your Iliad retelling for the millionth time*

    Congrats on finishing, Aimee!!! I can't wait to read your post on Tuesday! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails because flailing is good yes*

      Delete
  19. NOPE
    CIVIL WAR
    NOPE
    CANT DO IT
    *runs to a dark corner to sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME SAME SAME ALL THE TEARS FOREVER *waves my #teamironman flag halfheartedly*

      Delete
  20. THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME INTERVIEW YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! It sounds like you had a great month! Hopefully May is just as good to you. <3 And I am so impressed that you read 19 books - that's amazing! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous recap! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    P.S. Is your blog name a Les Mis reference? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You guys are always so encouraging. <3 (And yes, it most certainly is. I'm Les Mis trash to the max.)

      Delete
  22. YOU FINISHED DOWNTON! ~sends you cake and support~ ALSO THAT MATTHEW GIF, EVERY TIME I SEE HIM I GET A LITTLE JUMP IN MY CHEST BECAUSE I LOVE HIM SO MUCH I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM--

    Pardon me.

    Congrats on Camp! I look forward to reading your post about it :) (I know you probably put it up days ago but hey, I'm late, IT HAPPENS). I'm glad you enjoyed the Bukowski, whom I do want to read, and also TBJ! <333 Must reread that book. I'm reading Ariel at the moment which is <333

    YOU READ A FAREWELL TO ARMS! I love that book soooo much, I wrote my dissertation about it <3333

    Hope you have/are having a lovely May! I'm now going to shamelessly plug my own blog because I just posted a comparison of Gatsby and We Were Liars, and you are the only person I can think of apart from myself who knows and loves both books. So yeah. :D

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.