Camp NaNo Recap: Spaceships and Sci-Fi Soldiers

9:11 AM


The time for flailing over my Camp NaNo Iliad retelling has come.


It's kinda hard to believe it, but Camp NaNoWriMo was here, and now it's gone again. I swear it moves faster every year or something. Last year I wrote a fantasy novel where I killed lots of people off. This year I wrote a sci-fi retelling of Homer's Iliad and killed even more people off. (You can find a post I wrote up about the main characters for said retelling here, and my Pinterest storyboard for the thing here.)

I wrote 80k in April. I also finished the novel. I cried over the original Iliad. It was insane. 

basically me when I finished. 
If you're at all familiar with the original you know that like EVERYONE dies and it's very bloody and intense. I didn't really mess around with that part of it because I just suck that way. So there were spaceship battles and sci-fi armor suits and dramatic chase scenes and lots and lots and lots of angst. Normally I'd write up a post about what I learned writing this novel. Honestly? I didn't learn a ton. I mostly just had the time of my life writing something I'm pretty proud of as first drafts go. So I'm going to throw snippets at your faces and you can deal with it.

When I say lots of angst, I mean...lots. So much angst. So much fun.
seriously, achilles. what a drama queen. 
This is one of my favorite stories ever. I really, really enjoyed diving into it, getting to explore such deeply layered characters that I've loved for so long. The Iliad has a lot to say on death and honor and what it is to be truly noble, and while I'm sure I mangled that, I also feel like it was a lot to try and process in a first draft. So I don't feel too bad. But I definitely gave myself lots of feels. It's such a deeply emotional story. 
and here we have Hec. I love her. 
Also, the sci-fi aspect? I've wanted to write something with spaceships and space and battle suits and space battles freakin' space battles for so long. This gave me a perfect opportunity to do so. ALL THE DRAMA AND SPACE BATTLES WENT DOWN. The Iliad translates to sci-fi really well, somehow.
let's be real here, most of these are gonna be achilles quotes. 
If you think some shipping went down you would be 100% right because it DID. (This is for all of you in the comments subtly/not-so-subtly shipping Achilles and Patria. You're welcome.)
all the flailing, yes. sorry.
SO. MUCH. INTENSITY. The original is just brimming with raw rage, love, fear, bloodlust. I really wanted to capture that raw emotion. I didn't always, but there were some scenes that got my heart pumping as I wrote them. I guess that's always a good sign? 

And on that note....all the feels went down, yes. I made myself cry at least once. I'll probably make my alpha readers (love you guys, you suffer so much for me) cry at least once if things go well. Either way, there's a lot of heartbreak here too.
*laughs evilly for like forever and is not sorry*
And let us not forget that there's humor, too...even if it's of a particularly morbid kind. 
Paris was hilarious and Hec took no nonsense from him, of course. 
The moral of the whole story is that Achilles just needs to chill. He really does, as much as I love him.
can u just not for like two seconds

Basically: oh my gosh, you guys, I had so much fun writing this. If you consider giving yourself all the feels fun. I laughed. I cried. I wrote like crazy. I wrote 15k in one day on one of those days (with the wonderful Katie Grace, of course) and it nearly killed me. But isn't that what Camp is all about? It's just not fun unless you're dead or half-dead by the end of it. And I still managed to not get behind on any of my shows. It's a win.

In the end, I think I wrote a book about what it means to be a person. I didn't do it perfectly. I screwed up a lot. The plot sucks as of now. But I also don't hate what I wrote entirely! I can't wait to edit it and find all the theme in this raw material. The Iliad has so much to say it would take me ages to dig through it and do it proper justice, but here's a start, I guess. The whole thing was intense and emotional. I don't know how I made it through the month sane. or did I. 

me right now, to be honest

There's...not much else to say about that? It was a good mnonth. I got a lot of writing done. I wrote a story I enjoy. Overall it's a win. 10/10 would recommend.

Did you do Camp in April? How did that go? How do you feel about Achilles? Do you agree that he needs to chill? (spoiler alert: he really, really does.)

31 comments

  1. He's more machine now than man. #notsorry

    Also... I want to read this now. You have a really interesting way with words (in a good way). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you! As first drafts go I'm kind of proud of this one. (Of course, you're not seeing the worst of the bad snippets...)

      Delete
  2. Based on the original Iliad, yeah, I'd say Achilles definitely needs to chill, along with just about everyone else in that story. XD
    Ah, but these clips are so awesome!!! Thanks for sharing them, that makes me even more excited to read this story! You have a phenomenal writing style, I love all of this so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I had fun writing Achilles because he's just this fluffy ball of rage and it's hilarious.

      Delete
    2. He is pretty much, which I can see being super fun to write. I was on tumblr the other day and I found some poetry pertaining to the Achilles/Patroclus relationship that you might be interested in for inspiration's sake? I thought I'd share them anyways.
      http://alonesomes.tumblr.com/post/106879121221/on-the-night-of-my-death-your-despair-was-so
      http://alonesomes.tumblr.com/post/99542574596/my-love-how-was-i-to-know-that-they-would-make-a
      I honestly can't tell you how jealous I am of this idea though. Like, ugh!! It's just so awesome and I want to read it so bad. I'll stop fangirling now though. :P

      Delete
    3. Ooooh it's so pretty! Thanks so much. <3 *has all the feels now*

      Delete
  3. It's official, Drama Queen!Achilles is real. xD On the other hand, omg, GIVE THIS TO ME I NEED TO READ THIS THOSE QUOTES ARE SO FRICKIN' BEAUTIFUL I CAN NO LONGER EVEN. *shrieks copiously*

    Seriously, though. I haven't actually read the Iliad but this sounds really, really good and I want to read it all right now o.o

    As for my Camp NaNo, aliens and supersoldiers. I don't even know xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU MUST AND GO READ THE ORIGINAL TOO IT'S LIKE TEN TIMES BETTER.

      *needs the aliens and supersoldiers thing, by the way*

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love Hec SO, SO, SO MUCH. The rest are great too...but HEC...from what I can tell from your snippets, she's just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved writing her, too! She's such a different sort of person from the others and it's great.

      Delete
  5. Those are some intense snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes they are. *gazes into distance dramatically*

      Delete
  6. *Screams forever because everything about this looks amazing*
    Achilles definitely needs to chill. Actually, everyone in the Iliad needs to chill, but he's definitely the resident drama queen, haha. I absolutely love your interpretations of the characters (the little I know of them).
    Oh my word, Achilles and Patria! Help me, I ship it.
    ASDFGHJKL, the quotes are intense. Your style is so beautiful. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achilles makes me laugh so much so it was super fun to write him, especially from his POV. He's just...excessively crazy. Like come on, dude, do you need a hug?

      Delete
  7. WE SUFFER /SO/ MUCH FOR YOU
    AND WE LOVE IT.
    Guh I'm not very far in but I'm already feeling alllll the feels
    I am not ready to be destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL GLADLY BE THE INSTRUMENT OF YOUR EMOTIONAL DEMISE. *chuckles darkly*

      Delete
  8. *applauds wildly for your 15K day* YOU WRITERLY WONDER. CONGRATS ON THAT!! And it's so so awesome that you had a ton of fun with this. :') ME TOO for my NaNo novel. Apparently April was just a really fun month for writing, eh?!? (Except I didn't kill all my characters. Go me. It makes up for last NaNo where 80% of the cast died and I had to cancel sequel ideas because NO ONE WAS LEFT. #awkward)
    I actually don't know much about Achilles, but YOUR SNIPPETS ARE AMAZING AND I AM THE EXCITE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so muchhh! *flails with you* I just love killing off lots of characters, and this time I didn't even have to restrain myself.

      It was awesome.

      Delete
  9. Achilles needs to chill to the max. I don't think he needs a chill pill so much as a chill IV drip, constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he's a drama queen. Like:

      'I have a sudden urge to walk into the surf until my head goes under and my lungs fill with salt water and there is no more noise, no more urge to do anything but be.'

      'I'll let myself rot. I won't move until I've slipped forever into the fog that reaches towards me sometimes.'

      Like, dude. This is not Shakespeare in the park.

      Delete
    2. It's true. So, so true. I can't even deny it. xD

      Delete
    3. He spends most of the book (mine and the original) moping around, so that was interesting. And difficult to write at times. But I got to write a character who literally just spent way too much time staring into the distance and saying things dramatically, so I'd consider it a win.

      Delete
  10. AHHH THIS IDEA LOOKS SO WONDERFUL. All the feels. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I gave myself all the feels over it, so I guess that's a good thing?

      Delete
  11. Pretty much, I second everything that everyone else already said, flailing and excitement included and multiplied exponentially. THIS LOOKS GORGEOUS AND AMAZING AND I WANT TO READ IT VERY BADLY.

    Also, 15k IN ONE DAY? One day? How do you even DO that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails with you* I honestly don't know how I did it! I died, pretty much. And broke my wrists. I don't know if I'd do it again. It was pretty stressful and painful all around.

      Delete
  12. Ohmygosh I can't take it!! Hec is just so darn awesome, and I would probably fall hopelessly in love with Achilles if he were real (or is he...)

    The energy of it all makes me want to scream. I'm glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know *how* I survived, so thank you. *hands you Achilles because he's exhausting after a while*

      Delete
  13. I need this book.
    Please, can I have it? *Puppy eyes*
    Seriously, it sounds really, really good, and just from the quotes you shared I feel like it will be one of my favorite novels once I get to read it.
    Achilles does need to chill, but I think I adore him.
    I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That quote with "Oh no, I intend to rip you apart" hit me in the feels. :O

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE THIS! Well done you! Aw Achilles. My narrator's a bit like that too, most of my comments on the typescript say "drama llama!" and "Corrie can u not" and, when she's 'being poetic', "LAAAAME".

    Love your snippets and characters. Hec sounds like a sweetheart <3

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.