In Which Aimee Goes to A Book Signing

4:40 PM


Another post a day late but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?


This Tuesday, I had the pleasure of going to a book signing. 

FOR THE ILLUMINAE TOUR. WITH JAY KRISTOFF AND AMIE KAUFMAN. 

Oh my gosh, you guys. It was a bit of a last-minute thing and involved driving an hour in the dark and the pouring rain, but I regretted nothing. Illuminae is one of the most fantastic books I've ever read. Jay Kristoff is one of my favorite authors ever for many reasons, especially both this book and his Japanese steampunk/dystopia/apocalypse/craziness series. He's inspired so much of my writing and I couldn't believe this was happening, but it totally did. 

This is the first book signing I've ever been to so I wasn't sure what to expect -- I wasn't expecting to walk into the bookstore (with the lovely mother who was nice enough to take me out there) and see Jay Kristoff right there. I did not have the guts to talk to him right there but it kind of made the whole experience real -- and it's always neat to see the person who writes the words. (First observation: Jay Kristoff is, like, really tall. It's ridiculous, you guys.) 

I knew I was going to love it the moment they started laughing maniacally over all the characters they killed and the author's names they put into the casualty lists. 

What writers. 


(you can see me in the front row, very far right, being very excited about this.) 

It was, more than anything, an inspiring night. They talked about inspiration and how you have to keep on writing even when you don't have it. They talked about the process of getting published. 

They talked a lot about how to get inspiration in the first place, and how you have to keep feeding your mind, which is something I really like. They suggested marathoning TV shows and going outside and just observing people, looking for the adventures in everyday life and seeking out opportunities to gain inspiration. Jay played us a snippet of the song he listens to on repeat while writing AIDAN (the AI character in Illuminae) and it's basically some kind of horrific electronic death metal and I loved it. (Writers are weird.)

They laughed more about killing off characters and stupid research and sitting in your room typing all day without any social interaction.

Jay gave an inspirational mini-speech about not letting anyone discourage you and about working hard for what you love, which was great. (Have I mentioned I love Jay Kristoff? I love Jay Kristoff.) 
me wanting to tell jay about all the feels he gave me, laughing at him instead
Basically they were such writers it wasn't even funny. They had amusing things to say. But more than anything what I got out of it was that writing is hard. It's a struggle. It doesn't get any easier once you're a bestselling author with your own events; in fact, it gets harder! But it's so, so worth it, and we're incredibly blessed to be given the creative talent we have. The most important thing is that we keep at it, even when we get discouraged, and surround ourselves with people who encourage and inspire and push us forward. 

At that point there was the actual signing and I was in the front row so I got to be one of the first people to go up and get my book signed by both of them, as well as tell them how much I loved it. I got to tell Jay how much he's inspired me in my own writing and how much I love his work, and I was only a lot a teeny bit nervous about it. But all in all it was an incredible experience, and I totally want to go to more book signings now. 

Here is me and Amie and Jay pretending like we don't kill off alllll the characters evilly
Have you ever been to a book signing? What authors inspire you? Why haven't you gone and read Illuminae yet?

29 comments

  1. Oh my goooossshhh this is amazing. It would be so cool to see them at a book signing. Illuminae is one of my favorites of ever and these authors are the best, even if they give me aaaalll the feels. I've never been to a book signing before but I totally want to go to one now because YES. I've also never met an author in-person, so that would be actually the best experience ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cool! We laughed lots. xD

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds like a fantastic experience. And I need to read Illuminae now and think about attending a book signing because it looks fantastic (did I already say that?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it. And go to alllll the book signings. :D

      Delete
  3. I have never been to a book signing but it looks like fun, I have been meaning to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do all the things! It's such a neat experience.

      Delete
  4. thats so cool! Ive never been to a book signing before. theres actually a book convention in my city tomorrow but sadly, I cannot attend. because Im broke. obviously. so no, I have never been to a book signing. Ive never gone mostly because all my favorite authors are dead. so. thats a total killjoy.
    BUT IM GLAD YOU GOT TO MEET YOUR FAVS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book signings are so hard to get to and my favorite authors almost never come around, so I feel ya. But it's worth it when it happens.

      Delete
  5. AHHHHH I LOVE ILLUMINAE SO MUCH!!!! The format, the feels it gave me, the writing, the story line, the creepy side of it...so amazing! One of my favourite books ever. I am so jealous that you got to meet both of them. I've never met any authors because of where I live :( but I hope to one day. So glad you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right???? It's so incredible. *hugs the book*

      Delete
  6. BOOK SIGNINGS ARE THE BEST!!!! I've been to about six already and all of them involved me lining up for a crazy amount of hours.

    The last one I attended was for Sarah J. Maas' signing and I was in line at 3:30 am of the day of the signing (and there were crazy people who even went the day before, LITERALLY). Hopefully my next signing is to Jennifer Niven's this May 29.

    I DO LOVE ILLUMINAE! I'm kind of crazy about it and force people to read it when they ask for book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to go to more! It was so very fun and the panel they did before the signing was hilarious.

      Delete
  7. I have never been to a book signing before but after reading this I need to find one and go to it. o_o

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so cool! Book signings are THE BEST. For some reason, I always get super nervous to meet the authors. Though luckily the authors that I have met are pretty cool. Marissa Meyers looks a little intimidating, but when she talks, she's so sweet. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, believe me, I was so nervous. And ah, you've met the queen of retellings???? I was so close to seeing her once, but sadly it didn't happen. Next time, I guess.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! Illuminae has been on my to-read list for a while--it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your mom sounds great. This must've been awesome!

    I can only imagine myself meeting my favorite authors, (heck, any author for that matter) I know I'd make everyone feel extremely awkward and then faint dead away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mom really is the best and most fun :P

      Delete
  11. AHHH THIS IS AMAZING!!!! And I shall just flail randomly because YAY THEY'RE AUSTRALIAN. XD Ahem. (But seriously, it's so frustrating that Australia doesn't tour their authors very much. *wails*) But omg they sound so nice...well. I mean, apart from how they kill off all the characters. But these things do happen. They still sound nice. :')
    Congrats for getting to meet them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Australian-ness was glorious, for real. I love you guys. xD

      Delete
  12. I've never gone to a book signing before! I've always wanted to, though, except I feel like I would completely forget everything I wanted to tell them. It seems like you had an amazing time :) I haven't gotten around to reading Illuminae yet... Very excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I got so incredibly nervous. But somehow I survived.

      Delete
  13. Ah, feels! I'm so glad you got to do this! The last time I went to a book signing for an author that really inspired me was, like, 10 years ago. And I remember how much that impacted me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really the greatest experience, isn't it? I'd recommend that everyone go to one at some point.

      Delete
  14. That's so cool! I got to go to a book signing for Neal Shusterman and Eric Elfman one time and it was awesome. Except my mom was embarrassing because she asked them for college advice. XD Still, it's so cool to get to meet authors and get to hear their voices and see what they think.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.