May Wrap-Up11:53 AM
This month was a feelsy one. That is all. So much crying.
|one day i'll update this i swear. today is not that day.|
SUMMER BREAK HAS ARRIVED. SUMMER. BREAK. WE'RE FREE.
|just, prepare for alllll the daredevil gifs. i'm trash now.|
Oh my gosh, so was actually pretty successful this month? I missed a few days but who doesn't, honestly. A good amount of posts happened and I'm proud of the ones that did so that's what's important.
- I recapped my crazy Camp NaNo experiences, complete with spaceships and angst.
- I announced that me and the little bro are starting a Youtube channel and asked you guys to ask us questions. That video is coming very soon. (Possibly this weekend. Just sayin'.)
- Daredevil influenced me hugely this month so I blogged about why.
- I saw Captain America: Civil War. I cried over Captain America: Civil War. I reviewed it. I remain, as always, #teamironman. (I will be blogging about more specifics about that this month.)
- I shared some of my favorite books about mental illness.
Basically I'm counting this month a successful one! Go me. And go you guys, for getting me to 122 GFC followers. That's pretty cool.
|feelin' pretty awesome/overdramatic right now.|
As of now I've read exactly 100 books out of the 250 I hope to read this year. So that's a lot. I'm pretty much caught back up on my goal thanks to some quick reading and some comics, and I'm hoping summer will make things easier for me -- and give me some books that are less meh 'cause there were lots of those this month. (I read 24 books. Go me.)
|excluding dream thieves because i read that last month.|
Least favorite book: Again, I disliked most of the ones I read. I couldn't get past the first two chapters of Guy In Real Life so I suppose that's the one I'll throw out there. I'm sorry, I just...I couldn't get into it. I have issues with YA contemporary and flowery books.
Comics: So much Daredevil this month. So much Daredevil. I'm very much enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil comics, both in art and sass. It's a win. I also re-read my most favorite Uncanny X-Force comic and enjoyed the morbid humor all over again.
|case in point: Matt Murdock trying to convince people that he is, in fact, not Daredevil.|
ALSO I WENT TO A BOOK SIGNING. I now have a signed copy of Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, which is a book I adore, so that was cool. And I got to meet Jay, my actual writing inspiration.
|please enjoy this unrelated gif of matt murdock in a hoodie.|
You may be surprised to hear this but I actually didn't royally screw up writing this month! I didn't accomplish what I wanted to accomplish, but I accomplished a lot, and sometimes that has to be enough.
Draft 9 of Pariah. I wanted to finish this month and I came pretty close -- I'll be done this week, I think -- so if you guys want to beta-read that, be looking out for a sign-up form for that pretty soon. (Unless you have already discussed this with me and I have you on the list. In which case you're cool.) I want to send that out this month, preferably in the first half of the month. I'm no less nervous than I was the first time I had people read Pariah, but I really love this draft, so I'm hoping it goes well?
but really when does it ever.
That whole We Caught A Vampire story is less about vampires and more about aliens now, having received a facelift -- and I'm hoping to put it up again this summer. For realsies this time. Promise.
|gonna knock that story out this month. |
One word: tears.
I SAW CIVIL WAR. I HAVE WITNESSED CIVIL WAR. I desperately need to witness it again because once was not enough to take everything. Let's just say I sat in the theater and sobbed like a small child about halfway through onward. It was embarrassing. I refuse to take back my #teamironman affiliation, for reasons I will perhaps expand upon in a very spoilery post this month, because my review was a more general overview type deal. Needless to say I loved everyone and I loved Bucky even though he hurt me but Scott totally made the movie for me and stole the show.
|I swear this man is all of us.|
Let's be real, though: this has been a Daredevil month through and through. I abused the Netflix free trial deal so I could watch it, and I did, in fact, cram all 26 episodes into a month with minimal binge-watching because I quickly figured out that this show screwed with my mental health in all sorts of ways. Because it's stressful and INCREDIBLE, oh my goodness. I've posted about this at least twice now. I will probably post about it more now that I'm finished. I watched it with the ever-awesome Anna and we screamed together, so thanks for the support, Anna. xD It's so important in so many ways: treatment of disabilities, mental illness, female characters who kick butt in all kinds of ways, male characters who cry and have emotions, villains who are real people, discussions of morality and ethics and the law vs. justice and redemption and faith and wow, I don't think they meant for it to be so theme-heavy, but it is and maybe that's worth a post. Basically I sobbed embarrassingly hard multiple times, and season 2 blew me away. (correction: Frank Castle/The Punisher blew me away. I'm total Punisher trash now. WHAT IS THIS MAN.)
|pros: loves karen page, loves dogs, has the smile of an angel. cons: mass murderer.|
Ah yes, the one you all obviously care about.
- all things considered it was a pretty decent month? the main thing giving me anxiety was Daredevil and not actual life things, which is good or bad or lame depending on how you look at it. (now it's over and I am destroyed.)
- Today, May 31st, I AM GOING TO A TWENTY ONE PILOTS CONCERT. I AM GOING TO A TWENTY ONE PILOTS CONCERT. It's the kick-off for their Emotional Roadshow and the name is 100% correct because I can promise you I will sob my eyes out the entire time. Pray for my emotions.
|it's very intense and serious i promise|
- I...can drive now? How scary is that. But I'm so close to getting my actual license so I can drive by myself, and that means FREEDOM, so go me.
- this upcoming month I'm going to a writing conference. AND I GET TO FLY IN AND SPEND THE WHOLE WEEK WITH KATIE. A WHOLE WEEK HANGING WITH KATIE. Be very, very jealous. (Hannah and Caroline will be there too so much screaming will go down, I'm sure.) You'll get a whole post or two about that and tons of pictures. Sorry not sorry in advance.
- basically it's summer break now which means freedom and more laziness, so go me.