May Wrap-Up

11:53 AM


This month was a feelsy one. That is all. So much crying.

one day i'll update this i swear. today is not that day.

SUMMER BREAK HAS ARRIVED. SUMMER. BREAK. WE'RE FREE. 
just, prepare for alllll the daredevil gifs. i'm trash now.

BLOGGING

Oh my gosh, so was actually pretty successful this month? I missed a few days but who doesn't, honestly. A good amount of posts happened and I'm proud of the ones that did so that's what's important. 
Basically I'm counting this month a successful one! Go me. And go you guys, for getting me to 122 GFC followers. That's pretty cool. 
feelin' pretty awesome/overdramatic right now.
BOOKISH

As of now I've read exactly 100 books out of the 250 I hope to read this year. So that's a lot. I'm pretty much caught back up on my goal thanks to some quick reading and some comics, and I'm hoping summer will make things easier for me -- and give me some books that are less meh 'cause there were lots of those this month. (I read 24 books. Go me.)
excluding dream thieves because i read that last month.
Favorite book: This is difficult because I don't have strong feelings about a lot of the books I read this month and the ones I loved were mostly re-reads, but...I very much enjoyed Dreamers Often Lie. I'm meeting the author this month at the writing conference I'm attending (!!!!) so that should be fun. It was such a trippy, well-written story.

Least favorite book: Again, I disliked most of the ones I read. I couldn't get past the first two chapters of Guy In Real Life so I suppose that's the one I'll throw out there. I'm sorry, I just...I couldn't get into it. I have issues with YA contemporary and flowery books. 

Comics: So much Daredevil this month. So much Daredevil. I'm very much enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil comics, both in art and sass. It's a win. I also re-read my most favorite Uncanny X-Force comic and enjoyed the morbid humor all over again.
case in point: Matt Murdock trying to convince people that he is, in fact, not Daredevil.
Basically: tons of meh books. Some excellent comics. Some even more excellent re-reads. (I'm forcing Katie to read Unwind and enjoying that experience immensely.)

ALSO I WENT TO A BOOK SIGNING. I now have a signed copy of Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, which is a book I adore, so that was cool. And I got to meet Jay, my actual writing inspiration.
please enjoy this unrelated gif of matt murdock in a hoodie.
WRITING

You may be surprised to hear this but I actually didn't royally screw up writing this month! I didn't accomplish what I wanted to accomplish, but I accomplished a lot, and sometimes that has to be enough. 

Draft 9 of Pariah. I wanted to finish this month and I came pretty close -- I'll be done this week, I think -- so if you guys want to beta-read that, be looking out for a sign-up form for that pretty soon. (Unless you have already discussed this with me and I have you on the list. In which case you're cool.) I want to send that out this month, preferably in the first half of the month. I'm no less nervous than I was the first time I had people read Pariah, but I really love this draft, so I'm hoping it goes well? but really when does it ever.

That whole We Caught A Vampire story is less about vampires and more about aliens now, having received a facelift -- and I'm hoping to put it up again this summer. For realsies this time. Promise. 
gonna knock that story out this month. let's be real this is just my pathetic excuse for using a Frank Castle/Punisher gif because I love him.
FANDOMS

One word: tears

I SAW CIVIL WAR. I HAVE WITNESSED CIVIL WAR. I desperately need to witness it again because once was not enough to take everything. Let's just say I sat in the theater and sobbed like a small child about halfway through onward. It was embarrassing. I refuse to take back my #teamironman affiliation, for reasons I will perhaps expand upon in a very spoilery post this month, because my review was a more general overview type deal. Needless to say I loved everyone and I loved Bucky even though he hurt me but Scott totally made the movie for me and stole the show. 
Scott Lang (Ant Man) meeting Steve Rogers (Captain America)
I swear this man is all of us.

Let's be real, though: this has been a Daredevil month through and through. I abused the Netflix free trial deal so I could watch it, and I did, in fact, cram all 26 episodes into a month with minimal binge-watching because I quickly figured out that this show screwed with my mental health in all sorts of ways. Because it's stressful and INCREDIBLE, oh my goodness. I've posted about this at least twice now. I will probably post about it more now that I'm finished. I watched it with the ever-awesome Anna and we screamed together, so thanks for the support, Anna. xD It's so important in so many ways: treatment of disabilities, mental illness, female characters who kick butt in all kinds of ways, male characters who cry and have emotions, villains who are real people, discussions of morality and ethics and the law vs. justice and redemption and faith and wow, I don't think they meant for it to be so theme-heavy, but it is and maybe that's worth a post. Basically I sobbed embarrassingly hard multiple times, and season 2 blew me away. (correction: Frank Castle/The Punisher blew me away. I'm total Punisher trash now. WHAT IS THIS MAN.)
pros: loves karen page, loves dogs, has the smile of an angel. cons: mass murderer.
LIFE 
Ah yes, the one you all obviously care about. 

- all things considered it was a pretty decent month? the main thing giving me anxiety was Daredevil and not actual life things, which is good or bad or lame depending on how you look at it. (now it's over and I am destroyed.)

- Today, May 31st, I AM GOING TO A TWENTY ONE PILOTS CONCERT. I AM GOING TO A TWENTY ONE PILOTS CONCERT. It's the kick-off for their Emotional Roadshow and the name is 100% correct because I can promise you I will sob my eyes out the entire time. Pray for my emotions.
it's very intense and serious i promise
- I...can drive now? How scary is that. But I'm so close to getting my actual license so I can drive by myself, and that means FREEDOM, so go me.

- this upcoming month I'm going to a writing conference. AND I GET TO FLY IN AND SPEND THE WHOLE WEEK WITH KATIE. A WHOLE WEEK HANGING WITH KATIE. Be very, very jealous. (Hannah  and Caroline will be there too so much screaming will go down, I'm sure.) You'll get a whole post or two about that and tons of pictures. Sorry not sorry in advance.

- basically it's summer break now which means freedom and more laziness, so go me.

22 comments

  1. Frank Castle is absolutely my favorite Daredevil character (if I had to pick a favorite character, anyway) and I LOVE is relationship with Karen. I've read volume 1 of Mark Waid's Daredevil comics and really enjoyed it, though I've got to say that the show will always be my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank is just...wow. Frank. I could write essays on the man. xD

      Delete
  2. Gaaah, I need to watch Daredevil.
    YOU'RE GOING TO A TWENTY ONE PILOTS CONCERT CONGRATS THAT IS AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU TOTALLY DO BECAUSE IT IS AMAZING AND JUST THE BEST.

      Delete
  3. YOU'RE GOING TO A TOP CONCERT OH MY GOSH THAT IS AMAZINGGG *SHRIEKS*

    Also I am so jealous that you get to meet Katieee that's going to be the best. I just couldn't make it to the conference this year *sad face* BUT YOU TWO BETTER HAVE FUN. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see you next year, most definitely. Somehow. xD

      Delete
  4. AWW it looks like you had an awesome month. WOAH look at all those books.

    So jealous (in a nice way, of course) that you're gonna see twenty øne piløts. Like. What.

    Say hi to Katie for/from me! Lucky girl, you are. :DDDDD

    Have fun with your summer break! I'm going through the summer with school...so...gah, oh well. Awesome post, Aimee! <3

    -amanda @ scattered journal pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping my summer is gonna be a crazy one, in the best possible way.

      Delete
  5. So, I need to watch Civil war, because I need to know what happens. And so then I can read your post without spoiling myself.
    Congrats on the driving!! I am about seven hours away from driving alone. But that's scary. So maybe I'll just bring my mom with me everywhere I go...?
    anyhow, haha, enjoy the TøP concert, and summer break!
    Jeneca @Jeniqua Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss you totally need to see it! Civil War is the best and most feelsy.

      Delete
  6. Your summer plans sound awesome, I am very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I loved it. Daredevil. Just daredevil. Gah!!! *runs off to obsess over my feels*

    ReplyDelete
  8. AND I GET TO SPEND A WHOLE WEEK WITH AIMEEEEEE. *screams* <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *is just standing over here so jealous*

      Delete
    2. WE ARE GOING TO SCREAM THE WHOLE TIME IT'LL BE A PROBLEM

      Delete
  9. Whooaaaa dude you read like... a lot. XD That's like almost a book a day. Unwind has been on my TBR for aaggeesss so I should probably get around to reading it... XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! It's the best.

      Delete
  10. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY. ALL THIS IS AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They screamed the whole time and they let me scream with them. <3

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.