June Wrap-Up

4:54 PM


The best month. Also the worst month. But mostly the best month. Waht even.

look, i finally updated the thing.
The first month of summer went fantastically, oh mah goodness.
summer break is just. the best.

BLOGGING

I would have blogged more this month except I was at a writing conference one week and in horrible pain the next so I feel like I have some legitimate excuses. BUT. I blogged a good bit, and I cleaned up the design and header. So I don't feel like a failure. 
Basically: I did not fail. Go me. 
still my fave.
BOOKISH

Again, I feel like I had legit reasons not to read a ton this month...so I don't feel bad. But I got 20 books according to Goodreads and that's not awful. Win. We'll ignore the fact that some of those are comics and shouldn't technically count.

look at alllll the pretty covers.
Favorite book: I read so many good ones this month! (And re-read a lot of favorites, but I won't count those.) The Princess Bride is a story I've loved in movie form, of course, but I've never read the book -- until now. It kept me entertained during an airport layover, and it's the funniest thing you guys, oh my gosh. If you loved the movie you might love this even more. 

Least favorite book: There weren't any I disliked a lot so like...don't kill me, but The Raven King is something that gave me a difficult time. To be fair, though, Maggie Stiefvater has never been a favorite and I know it's not my genre, so it's more of a "it's not you, it's me" type deal than anything else. 

Comics: As you can see, I re-read Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comics this month because I love them endlessly. If you haven't read these already...you totally should because they're important. I also re-read Mark Waid's Daredevil Vol. 3 and it's my favorite of that run BY FAR. definitely not because the Punisher is in it and I am a wee bit in love with Frank Castle. Definitely not.

Non-fiction: I read a writing book that was semi-okay, if a bit pretentious, like most writing books. I'm trying to get more into non-fiction and that's been interesting so far. I also read Hamilton: The Revolution which is just a gorgeous book all-around, made even better by Lin-Manuel Miranda's genius and/or snarky annotations to his own lyrics. That alien book you see up there was fascinating, too. 

*hugs all the good books*
this gif is not relevant, other than the fact that i love princess bride and i just really wanted to use it.
WRITING

Aw yasssssss. I am SO CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED WITH DRAFT 9 OF PARIAH. So close I could weep because I'm ready to be done. By the time this posts, in fact, I probably will be done with all the proofreading stuff, and I'll be sending it to betas. Insert shrieking here. 

I'm actually excited about that. 

I'm proud of this draft. I've cried over it, I've stayed up way too late over it, and when I read over it, it feels more polished and shiny than ever. It really feels like something that's starting to resemble the picture in my head. I love it and I'm proud of it and I'm ready to send it out into the world for another round of relentless, cruel feedback. (I'm kidding. My betas are the sweetest and only bring out the pitchforks occasionally.)

Speaking of which

If you would like to beta-read Pariah, that is something I am willing to throw at your face. I'd prefer it if you could have the thing read by the end of August, but honestly I'm in no rush so you could take your time. Just fill out the form thingy below and I'll add you to the list and we'll be all shiny.

If you would like to beta-read Pariah and you're not sure if you're on the list, click here.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll just sit back and scream for a while because beta reading is the worst.
definitely me right now.
FANDOMS

Alllll the fandom stuff, as usual. 

I have not been able to see the new X-Men movie yet but I cannot wait to get to it, because let's be real, I'm total X-Men trash. So I became a little too obsessed with them all over again this month in anticipation. 

I miss Daredevil. I really miss Daredevil. Because of that I have spent a good amount of time screaming over it with friends and possibly writing poems/fanfic because I have to fill the void somehow. My obsession may never die. 

I re-read Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comics. You've heard me rant about this before. #sorrynotsorry
they're beautiful.
I began watching Grantchester, which is a beautiful little British show about a vicar and a grumpy inspector who solve murders together. It got real dark real fast and I'm a sucker for dark murder mysteries, especially if the people involved have British accents and cool 50s' outfits. The character development is fascinating. I love it. 
and did i mention the colors are amazing because it's so aesthetically pleasing, for real
LIFE

*weeps softly*

- I went to that Twenty One Pilots concert. I don't know why I haven't blogged about it before now, but a post is coming probably on Saturday because I have to process that incredible experience and share it with you all. It was an emotional release and a stunning show and yes, I cried. Goodbye. 

- I'm so. tired. so much summer. so much social stuff. ugh. (Not that I mind, really. I am a social creature at heart.) It is summer so I spend lots of time at the coffee shop or the library or my room. That's fine with me. 

- I MET KATIE AND THE OTHERS HAVE I MENTIONED THAT. I spent a week with Katie and her family in Minnesota and I can't wait to share pictures with you guys in this upcoming week. I loved it so, so much. Huzzah for frens. 

- I...turned 16? So that was weird. And it's still weird. As of now I've avoided becoming the Chosen One or ending up in some strange dystopia faction. Yay me.

- It's been a tiring month. Sometimes a rough month. But overall, not bad. Not bad at all. 
me right now

What have you been up to this month?

14 comments

  1. THE PRINCESS BRIDE!!!! :D :D :D :D :D My goodness, that book is so hilarious. XD I'm glad you liked it.
    Congratulations on finishing your ninth draft of Pariah! That. Is. AWESOME!!!! I cannot wait to read this.
    Also, your busy, exhausting, difficult/exciting month sounds like something you ought to keep in a journal. I'm glad to hear about all the happy things, and glad that the hard things weren't too much.
    Finally, I can't wait to read your post on 21 Pilots. They are one of my favorites. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, Princess Bride is the best. xD *high fives*

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing your draft! Nice post! I really like your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of -- the Princess Bride... Yassssss (!!!)

    It's so awesome that you got to go to a writing conference! I've always wanted to go to one, but never quite made it.

    Draft 9?? How do you get 9 drafts!? I need to learn how to do that. Like now. That is seriously amazing, though -- it gives me hope that one day I'll be able to get that many drafts out of my precious baby novel. You're so inspiring! :D

    Happy belated sweet 16!

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I got there, honestly. I've just...kept going? It's discouraging and it's taken forever, but I'm starting to be proud of it.

      Delete
  4. 9 Drafts? I'm doing it wrong. Man, I always edit my stories while I write them. No wonder they never get done! *cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, it's probably mostly because my early drafts are such huge messes...

      Delete
    2. Everyone has their own process. I used to do more editing as I go, but I've been evolving toward a fast first draft with lots of follow-up editing. The latter seems more popular among writers I've talked to, but the former has its notable adherents.

      Delete
  5. I've been profoundly unproductive, but currently I'm trying to write 30 pages of my giant analysis paper in about 9 days (Before you feel any pity, you should know that I procrastinated on this for almost an entire year). My friend is getting married tonight, so I'm super excited for them. Your month sounds half amazing and half awful. Good luck with Pariah this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a packed month! So many exciting things for you!

    By the way, I think I'm going to start watching Daredevil soon. :D :D What with your fangirling and my younger brother's fanboying (can I use that as a verb, too??), it's inevitable I'll be joining this train...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that British show sounds great.I looked for those Hawk eye comics last time I was at a book store but they didn't have them :(
    Maybe next time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to get my hands on those Hawkeye comics. Are there any other comics you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.