Beautiful Books #1 // Stabbing and Twins and Blood

7:00 AM


It is almost NaNoWriMo time again, and therefore it is almost time to start screaming uncontrollably again.

image linked to original post
(Side note: I now have 150 GFC followers which is basically THE BOMB, thank you guys so much. I love you. All of you. Probably. Have an internet hug, on me.)

I love NaNo. NaNo is my favorite. I happen to be the kind of person who enjoys furious typing, and sore fingers, and suffering, and tears on my keyboard, and all the other fun stuff that comes along with writing 50+K words in 30 days. It's just the best. 
Image result for i like to suffer gif
it's the nano motto.
This year, I've decided to up the competition a little bit by writing fantasy. I am a sci-fi/thriller kind of girl. I don't read a lot of fantasy, I don't write a lot of fantasy, and so on. But this plot bunny stabbed me in the heart and stuck there, so here we are, making it happen, and I don't quite know why.

So today I'm going to tell you a lil bit about this fantasy project, Blood Sisters. a working title, don't judge.




1. what inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
School. School actually inspired this thing. History, to be exact. 

I am 10000% trash for the ancients. This year, I latched onto the concept/aesthetic of the ancient Britons and the Romans. The wild, untamed, dark feel of ancient Britain, and the way that clashed with the polished Roman Empire stuck in my head...and well, this happened. I wanted to write something that felt like ancient history, that accurately represented the way cultures develop at different paces, the politics and ins-and-outs of that. In a way that includes stabbing, of course.

Cue this story, that's been in my head since the early spring. The Pinterest board really helped grow it, too.
Image result for i'll stab you gif
me whenever i write

2. Describe what your novel is about! 
Oh, oh dear. Where to start. 

The story takes place in a tribe at the edge of the sea, a very special sort of tribe with old customs and wild magic and too many secrets to count, a country of swords and blood, one that takes no enemies alive. Their chief is part of a long family line of leaders, wrapped in shadow and secrets and ancient ritual. 

There are foreign invaders threatening their land. There is infighting. The old chief is slowly dying, his magic wearing away, and it is time for someone to take up the position and protect the tribe. It's time for the descendant to step the heck up. 

The problem? the chief has twin sisters. and in order for someone to ascend and save the tribe, one must kill the other and possibly use them as a blood sacrifice in a ritual in order to claim their birthright. And they're just about to learn this. 

Image result for innocent shrug gif
I SEE THOSE LOOKS YOU'RE GIVING ME RN OKAY JUST LET ME FINISH

3. What is your book's aesthetic? 
Stabbing. Swamps. The ocean and grey sky. Blonde hair braided back. Wild laughs into the wind. The thunder of hoofbeats. Ancient drums. Blood on stone.

4. Introduce us to each of your characters! 

Pelaea. The diplomatic sister. Reads people like they're all open books. Charming and soft and likeable and caring about the people around her. Wants to keep them all safe, no matter the cost. A dreamer.

Anslee. The warrior sister. Will fight you. Will fight everyone. Sharply strategic and political and blunt. Fiercely loyal and single-minded once she devotes herself to something.

Finnien. The foreign prisoner. Literally did not ask to end up in this situation. A doctor's apprentice of sorts. Modern-minded, keeps to himself, sees the practical in every solution.

Conrad i just love this name okay. Wicked-sharp sass. Gets the job done. Will also fight everyone except he's a lot worse and more aggressive. Loves his sword. Doesn't love other people. Possibly very slightly invincible. Possibly hasn't aged in thirty years. Possibly has something to do with this whole blood sacrifice/magical inheritance deal and therefore cheated death and has his own agenda now that there's going to be a new chief. Possibly really really wants it to be Anslee. Possibly.

Eoni. An excellent fighter. A woman-warrior-in-training. Loves to dance. Loves to laugh. Loves to stare at Conrad for hours on end. Do not screw with her. She will bake a cake and then murder you in your sleep. Anslee's bestie.

5. How do you prepare to write? 
I binge-watch shows. 

I stalk Pinterest. 

I weep openly. 

I rant to people in all-caps. 

I do not plot. At all. I regret it later. 

6. What are you most looking forward to about this novel? 
Exploring the fantasy genre! I've never written a fantasy novel before and I didn't ever think I would, so I want to see how that goes down and if it will kill me. 

Also, I finally get to write about swords. And knives. And stabbing. Sci-fi makes swords less easy to involve. Sigh. 
Image result for lord of the rings gif
it's gonna be so much fun.

7. List three things about your novel's setting.

1. There is magic. Subtle magic. No one talks about it. It probably lurks in the swamps and will kill you if you approach it. 

2. There is an ocean. An endless choppy grey ocean and people may or may not die in it. 

3. lots of people die in this place because it is rocky and brutal and there are people with swords hiding in the grass and/or the swamps. Beware. 

8. What's your character's goal and who stands in the way? 

Obviously, both sisters grew up in a brutal culture, and they've trained to be brutal, and now they know that, y'know, one of them will have to kill the other. There's no other option as far as they're concerned. They think they're ready and determined, but there are a lot of obstacles between them and the site of the ritual and it's a race there -- obstacles including but not limited to monsters in the swamp, a foreign army invading their country with their modern resources, other clans, and the fact that, y'know, they'll have to murder their sister. 

Fun times.

9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? 
This is brand-new for me. I am also a pantster. So: 

Image result for i don't know gif
We will all find out together.

10. What are your book's themes? How do you want readers to feel by the end of your story?

Well. 

Quite honestly, me being the person I am, I don't know the theme of a story, what it's really about, until I've finished the first draft. So I have no frickin' clue right now. Maybe something mushy. Maybe something sisterly. Maybe something about sword safety. I don't know. Who even knows. We'll find out along the way. Or I won't find out, and I'll fall into the depths of despair, because that's how my brain works. 

When people finish I want them to feel disturbed. And also like they've read something awesome. I want them to have thought, whatever I find out I want them to think about, and I want it to be a good, fun fantasy story, with lots of stabbing and blood, because that's what I'm all about. 

Let the morbidness begin this NaNo season. 


Are you participating in NaNoWriMo next month? Are you writing something equally bloody? Do tell.

37 comments

  1. This sounds so awesome! History's a major inspiration for me too. My only major fantasy series is historical, (specifically WW1).
    Your characters sound great! And yes, Conrad is an awesome name. It looks like you're writing a really original fantasy book too, which we definitely need more of. As a fantasy reader (along with sci-fi), I often find it really hard to find books I'll like. I think I've seen the board for this before, but I wasn't sure what it was about.
    Good luck for NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I am doing NaNo too. I'm writing a kind of dark post-apocalyptic novel called Children of the Storm. It deals with a lot of heavy stuff, but I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
    2. I'm SO HERE for apocalyptic stuff, dude. Should be awesome. :D

      Delete
  2. This sounds so cool, and really different for you! It also sounds really different in general, because it doesn't seem like it'll take the direction most fantasy stories do. I'm glad you're paying attention to the historical/social/world building side of things; a lot of people kind of ignore that.
    I want to do NaNo this year, but it'll depend on how busy I am with life. Senior year might not be the best time for something like that, especially since I haven't done it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a different thing for me, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little bit terrified of it. So we'll see how it goes. o.o

      Delete
  3. I adore ancient Britain! This sounds like something with a Rosemary Sutcliff, Ursula K. Le Guin type vibe, maybe? I like the idea of the magic being pretty subtle and just sort of lurking in the background, poisoning everyone...and I'm always up for a good story about sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's partly what inspired it! We read a lot of Sutcliff's books during that period in history and I loved the aesthetic so much, so I wanted to dive right into it. Hence this thing.

      Delete
  4. growing up, the Roman/Briton era of history was my favourite to read and learn about, and it's still my favourite. Rosemary Sutcliffe's books were basically all I lived on for about a year, and she's definitely one of my top 10 favourite authors. suffice it to say--this sound AMAZING. can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's so cool and so underrated so I literally can't wait to make this thing happen.

      Definitely not because of all the swords and stabbing.

      Delete
  5. This sounds SO. COOL. Such a unique idea. And stabbyness is cool.

    (Do you know how wrong that last statement would sound if we weren't writers?)

    I am doing NaNo! I'm doing a genderbent retelling of Sleeping Beauty. It takes place within 24 hours and alternates between 2/3 point of views, one of those being the villain. And the excitement is real. (I have a legit description on my NaNo profile thing but it's pretty long so if you want the actual description, it' s there)

    I hope NaNo goes awesome for you and your amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My NaNo novel is not stabby at all and I'm not sure how I feel about that???? (also oh goodness i should rant to you about it sometime)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not? Stabby?
      This is a concept unknown to me

      Delete
    2. Well, the beginning isn't stabby or violent. At all. The ending, however, may or may not include a gun being held to a boy's head while he begs them not to hurt the girl he loves. *innocent nod*

      Delete
  7. whOOOOO you already know how excited I am about this. I cannot not wait to read the thing. *bounces excitedly*

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds SOOOOO cool!! I want to read this! I am 98% probably not doing NaNo due to being in the middle of a story right now, BUT you are making me WANT TO! I love that the ancient history inspired this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so thrilled to get right into it, even though I'll regret that excitement pretty soon.

      Delete
  9. I legit gasped when I saw the title of your new WIP cause I FOLLOW THAT PINTEREST BOARD. But somehow I thought this was your first book idea ever? And like ... O.O I had no idea of the plot. OH MY GOODNESS. I am so scared. Because the Aimee is not afraid to kill people and OH MY TENDER HEART I NEED TO HIDE AHHHHHHHHHHHHDJAFHSDLKJFHSD

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOOH sounds super epic. Fantasy is my love. And I'm quite partial to historical fantasy; I wish people wrote more often in that genre. Wishes of best luck for you this November!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It'll be scary, but I'm so excited.

      Delete
  11. I APPROVE OF THE STABBY LEVELS OF THIS BOOK. Honestly, it sounds soooo epically freakishly AWESOME, Aimee! I AM FLAILING. (Okay okay, I'll stahp yelling in all caps but omg stabby fantasy novels ftw.) I write fantasy as much as I possibly can because I am obsessed. And I'm trying to convince myself I'm writing a contemporary not a pirate-book for NaNo hahha. Not...really...working. Ahem. But still. I love your premise and YOUR NAMES (names are awesome in general, yes) and I hope it's super fun to write. *flings chocolate at you for encouragement*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO MUCH STABBING. *eats all the chocolate*

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh THIS SOUNDS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I was literally reading this post and I kind of forgot it was a novel introduction and my brain was taking it in as a book review and I was just like, "Oh my gosh I can't wait to find this" and then I realized it wasn't written yet and kind of died. IT SOUNDS SO FABULOUS! HAVE A WONDERFUL NANO MONTH!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I just say how much I love the Celtic/British/Roman inspiration behind this? And the oceans? I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but, oh, this sounds exciting! Happy NaNoWriMo, Aimee!

    (Also, from a first-time-visitor to your blog, it's really beautiful and you seem like such a nice soul!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blog and thank you! *hands you allll the ice cream or cake or ice cream cake or whatever you want)

      I'm not usually into fantasy either, but I wanted to try something new, so here we are. *nodnod*

      Delete
  14. Aaaaand this sounds amazing. Please let me read it and weep.

    I haven't done NaNoWriMo before, but I'm thinking of doing it this year. (Except I'm so scared.) I've got a storyboard made up for a road trip involving a grandma witch, her granddaughter (also a witch), and a leopard shapeshifter from Minnesota. I'm pretty excited, not gonna lie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaNo is so crazy, ugh. BUT THAT STORY SOUNDS AMAZING LET ME READ ITTTTT.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, this sounds so disturbing and intense!

    And I honestly don't know if I'm doing NaNo or not this year (YOU THINK I SHOULD'VE DECIDED BECAUSE IT'S THE 23RD??? HAHAHA I'M A HARDCORE PANTSER. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN I'M WRITING MUCH LESS WHAT), I'm probably going to wake up on the 1st, realize it's November, and decide then. :p


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude who even plans out NaNo stuff xD I certainly don't.

      Delete
  16. I NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!! When you finish it, you HAVE TO POST IT ON YOUR BLOG OR I SHALL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.