October Wrap-Up // In Which I Live A Month Filled With Work and Marvel

7:07 PM


Time to bring back the wrap-ups, yeah? What a month.

It's been a long month. Lots of stuff, lots of business, lots of running around, lots of...well, lots of life. And I don't think that's a bad thing. I feel more alive than I have in a long time. Even with cold weather coming, even though I can feel myself wanting to retreat into my shell and hide for a while, I can feel the hope, too, and the sun is still there, so I'm ready to press onward.


I've blogged a lot about life lately, so you probably know what's going on. I can drive. I have a job. I can breathe more easily. Things have been changing rapid-fire, but things have been good. Beautiful, even, as I'm starting to discover the creative sides of me I didn't know existed before, the ones I want to continue to cultivate. Little by little, I'm taking steps forward. Little by little, I'm getting to the places I want to be.

Right now life is all about work and school. I work most days of the week, three or four hour shifts, and as hard as it is, and as much as I just want to be home most of the time, it's worth it, and not just for the money. I like my coworkers, and I love the chance to meet all different kinds of people and work hard to be good at something, even if that something is just serving pasta. I feel happy  there and like I'm doing my job well, which is satisfying. I've learned a lot about independence and doing things well for the sake of it. also for money. money makes everything better sometimes.

Also -- schoolwork. Schoolworkkkkkk. It's easy to feel beaten-down and sore when all you're doing is straining your brain over things that don't seem to matter. It's easy to get into that attitiude. But I've chosen to attack school with positivity this year and you know what? It seems to be working. It's not my favorite, and it takes forever, but it's getting done. Still...*stabs it*

Beyond that? I have been binging shows. Hanging out with friends. (I am an extroverted social creature, peeps, I need people occasionally that I can hug and scream at and otherwise engage in shenanigans with.) Listening to lots of Bastille, Hamilton, electronic music that helps me focus, etc. So much music. I got Spotify Premium because I can afford it now. I'm never going back. SO MUCH POWER MWHAHA.

Life is exhausting. But also kinda great.
Image result for the office gif
michael scott is me and i am michael scott always.


You guys. I've done it. I actually kept up a blog schedule this month. okay so i missed like two days but LEAVE ME SOME HAPPINESS. I've been posting the things I want to post and, better than that, discovering what I want to post, and that's worked so much better for me. I'm writing alllll the things and I'm proud of those things as well.

I'm also maybe-sorta hoping I can make it to 200 GFC followers by the end of the year. I don't know if I can, so it's not a definite goal, but it y'all do it, I'll host a super cool giveaway now that I have money. Deal? Deal.
Image result for follow me gif
i do not like this movie/story but this gif always makes me laugh in this context, so. FOLLOW ME I LOVE YOUUUU.

Ho-ho, I have ACTUALLY READ BOOKS THIS MONTH. I do not know how. I really don't. I thought I was too busy. But apparently I have, even though most of them were mediocre, sigh. I can't read as often as I'd like but honestly that's a time management thing on my part so I'm working to improve it this upcoming month.

some favorites! 

Two of these are re-reads. That's just the kind of month it's been. I absolutely tore up my copy of Morning Star -- it's full of notes and scribbles and underlines to match the other two books, and I couldn't be happier. Writing in books soothes me. Scribbling half-intelligent notes in books soothes me even more. 

I need more good books this next month. Le sigh. 

Cue the nervous laughter. 

Confession: I stopped writing draft 2 of Havard. Halfway through. And I don't feel bad about it. 

This doesn't mean I won't return to my beautiful child of a book! I fully intend to after NaNo. I didn't quit because it was too hard, and I totally did, both at once. I've been stuck halfway through every time I get to it no matter how many times I tweak some things near the middle, and I really feel like this entire approach to the story is wrong, flawed, not how it should be. It doesn't flow. It doesn't feel right. I'm not doing justice to the story, and I don't think it's going to continue until I figure out what I need to be doing. So while I re-calibrate and get the hang of it...you know what time it is. 

NANOWRIMO TIME. 

Y'all, I live for NaNo. Nothing makes me happier. This year I'm diving into the world of fantasy and disturbing and dark gory stuff, and I couldn't be happier! I almost never write fantasy, but I'm determined to make this work. I'll keep you updated. Lots of stabbing will go down. It'll be great. I'm going to a kickoff party tomorrow, the 1st, so that should be fun, also. So many crazy people gathered in one place. 
Image result for nanowrimo gif
please help me.

Also known as: the section where I screech uncontrollably. 

I've been doused in Marvel this month, especially the Netflix Marvel side of things. (I won't post about it or rant about it again here, since you're probably sick of it. #noregrets) There's lots of news -- the next Daredevil season, the Defenders mini-series, Iron Fist....AND THE PUNISHER SERIES. 

Before season 2 of Daredevil I knew approximately nothing about Frank Castle, AKA The Punisher other than some references in other comics I'd read. He very quickly became a favorite. One of my other Daredevil faves is co-starring and I love their chemistry and their characters, so this show promises to be dark, gritty, just hopeful enough, and altogether a wild ride. Even if the set pictures make zero sense. 
the light of my life, Karen Page, ft. the Big Bad Punisher, Marvel's Darkest Antihero, looking like a small homeless fluffball. bless him.
I also watched Luke Cage, as I reviewed the other day, and basically died of the feels. I'm emulating Shades Alvarez now, by the way, because I too aspire to wear all black and sunglasses indoors and constantly slay with deadpan sass. Bring it on. 

Have you seen The Office? You should see it. I binge-watched all of it in two months flat and I somehow relate to every single character. I didn't expect to have the feels, either, but here we are, feeling all of them all at once.
Image result for we need a new plague gif
forever and always the most relatable scene.



Basically: I've been crazy-busy this month. I've been getting the hang of who I am as a person, what I want to do, and the fact that I can totally do those things. I've been weeping over Marvel things of all kinds. (Yes, I've re-watched Civil War, how could I not now that we own it?) I feel like I've been living too much and just enough all at once. 

It's good. 

It's really, really good. 

Now bring on the NaNo madness. I am ready for death. 

how was your october? what did you do? what are you going to be up to this november? is nano going to kill you? will you survive the madness and laugh at us from a distance? talk to meeee. let's have a chat about whatever.

5 comments

  1. 'Twas good to know what you were up to. I'm glad life's been going well for you -- I've been praying for you recently. Also hah. I did not read a single book this month, so yeah. Good luck with NaNo! I'm not doing it because November's always my busiest month, but I can cheer on y'all crazy peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Office was my show back in the day! I miss it being on TV, that and Psych.
    Look at you working and driving, you betta do it Aimee!

    ~Akilah
    palatespleatsandplots.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, yes, NaNo likely WILL kill me! But... oh well, I guess. xP
    I'm super excited to start my story, though! I've been planning (to the best of my ability) for the past few weeks, and I'm just... so ready to get into this thing and these lovely characters. <3
    GOOD LUCK this November!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you had such an overall good month!
    I haven't done a lot, honestly, but I feel like I'm finally starting to get it together. I've still cried over school/life quite a lot, but I've read more and written more, and I'm not feeling terrified quite so much, so I think I'm doing okay.
    Anyway, I'm praying for you as always, and I hope your November is amazing! Good luck with NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you had a wonderful month! That's so awesome. :)

    Crazy impressed by your awesome blog schedule. Like CAN I BE YOU PLEASE??

    NaNo is honestly the best. This is my first year attempting it and I really thought that I'd hate it, but I'm loving it so much. It's making me realize just how badly I want to be a full-time author, wow.

    I hope that your November is even more awesome than your October!

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.