So What Have You Been Up To Lately, Aimee? // Creative Life #1

12:01 PM


Life has been busy lately and I have lots of thoughts and lots of things in the works, so I haz introduced...a new segment thingy.


I want to talk about what I've been up to lately, and the things I have to come. The past few months have been a blur of inspiration and busy life and new things and growing up and being okay -- I've changed so much, and as a result, lots of things are changing with me.

So here's what I've been typing and scheming as of late.
Image result for the office typing gif
forgive me, i just finished the office and i'm feeling a little nostalgic

Trying to finish up Havard. Trying is the key word here because while I've been typing like mad, I also have schoolwork and a job and occasionally social expectations, so sometimes I'm too lazy to sit down and write those words. This is changing, and I'm planning on writing half a novel before the 1st of November, because apparently I hate myself. Wish me luck and pray I don't die.

Binge-watching shows for "inspiration". I just finished consuming every single episode of The Office and discovering how incredible it is. I've also been watching Luke Cage and oh my goodness, the feels are real. Both shows are so different, but inspiring in their own ways: The Office makes me think about being intentional in how I write/read about/view people and treating everyone like an individual with a story. Luke Cage is just a beautiful peace of story that's teaching me about villains and awesome music and all that jazz. 

They're both teaching me how to cry.
bring on the pain.

Writing/brainstorming the podcast thingy. Which, I as it just now occurs to me, I have not mentioned anywhere other than the occasional vague tweet. Oh well. 

Essentially: I've been listening to a lot of Welcome to Night Vale and Sayer lately because stories told in podcast form are actually the coolest. It's a genius way of storytelling that takes a different set of skills and different techniques than typing out a novel or writing a script. You have no visuals, so it's all on the sounds and the voice actors and the timing and imagination. We need more sci-fi podcast stories. I want to write a podcast. And so Bright Eyes was born, something that may become the first big project I've ever done. ?!? !? It was partly inspired by the new Star Trek movie, so think Star Trek meets Ender's Game concept and feel-wise. I want to capture the insecurity of being a teenager who's growing up too fast and taking on the world and responsibilities, all the insecurity and pain and confusion and winging it and humor and ridiculousness, through the lens of, y'know, teens in space. 

Currently I'm writing the first episode and planning out the first season. I'll probably write a post on this later but essentially, I'm fully planning on putting this on Soundcloud/possibly iTunes and making it as legit as one person with a microphone and a Chromebook can. I'm ordering a fancy new microphone at the end of the month. I have podcast-editing software available. I'll be consulting people during the writing and recording of it. I'll possibly have some guest voices as I figure this out along the way. I'm going to get some official-looking cover art not done by me. I want to release the first season sometime early next summer, so keep an eye out for more news. In the meantime, you can stalk the Pinterest board. 

(It's a little nervewracking putting this out there in public, to be honest. It's a big deal for me, and a big task, and I don't know if I'm up to it. But I sure hope I am.)
a small look at the board, which i'm rather proud of honestly.
Preparing for NaNoWriMo. AKA preparing to suffer. I posted about my novel last week, so you should know a little more about that, but I've been busy putting together a semi-outline and trying to get my crap together before this thing starts. I've only ever written one fantasy thing in the past -- Crimson Gods, my child I must edit one day -- and as much as I loved the story, that first draft is a trainwreck. I'm not going to make that mistake again. i'm actually going to have place names this time instead of using "*insert fantasy name here* every time. I'm also getting off to a fresh start this year, so if you haven't followed my new NaNoWriMo account, hit me up!
Image result for nanowrimo gif
me rn

Possibly considering a newsletter thingy. Is this something you guys would subscribe to/care about? It would include extra writing news and snippets and aesthetics and such from yours truly, random mini book reviews or movie reviews or show reviews about things I'm into lately, inspiring quotes, perhaps some of my poetry, just a weekly or bi-weekly dose of things that have been inspiring me and will hopefully inspire you too. If this is something you would want to see let me know so I can put it together for you!

Reading nonfiction writing books! Would highly recommend Stephen King's ON WRITING (duh) and also my new favorite from John Scalzi, YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR LAPTOP TO A COFFEE SHOP: SCALZI ON WRITING. It's practical, blunt, to-the-point, not mushy, and way more inspiring than most of the other writing books I've read. If you want to laugh and also get a practical slap in the face, go for it. 

Functioning as a human with a job. Ughhhhh the money is good and the job doesn't suck but I'm still trying to get used to dealing with scheduling out my time a little better. 

Writing for Youer Than You. An awesome and inspiring new lifestyle blog! I was asked to write for them weekly and I jumped on the chance. The ladies I'm writing with are real, funny, honest, emotional, and write about every topic for teens and twenty-somethings you could want. I've posted several times now and loved the experience. Check us out!
also that blog design, man, it gives me life

So many other things that I don't even have time to list them all. Needless to say, I've been up to my ears in creative stuff lately, and I couldn't be happier. I'm starting to figure out career paths, what I can do with my life, what's possible. (that's a whole separate post.) I'm starting to be happier, healthier, more creative, going for the things I want to do. 

It's pretty awesome.



what's inspiring you? what creative exploits have you been up to lately? should i put out an inspiring newsletter? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS.

23 comments

  1. I absolutely agree that podcasts are underappreciated methods of storytelling. There are definitely not enough storytelling podcasts (do you have any more recommendations?) I LOVE Welcome to Nightvale. Nightvale is put together so well, with equal parts creepy, funny, and random. I also really like Lore, which is not really a connected series, but each episode is its own spooky and interesting horror story. Your podcast idea also sounds amazing! I would love to listen about teenagers trying to figure out what life is in space. Honestly, I would probably listen about anything in space, but the teenagers are a nice touch.
    Good luck with NaNoWriMo and the rest of your writing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Night Vale, you'll probably enjoy Within the Wires, as it's done by the same people! It has the same sort of eerie feel, and an intriguing plot line. It's not my favorite, but it's soothing listening and I love the concept. If you're into sci-fi Sayer rocks -- ugh it's so disturbing but it will absolutely blow your mind! Right now I'm going through Limetown and if you like horror-ish stuff you'll be into it also! I'll check out Lore, huzzah! I've been super inspired when it comes to podcasts, and I'm excited to make this thing happen.

      Delete
  2. Okay, so like, I have a lot of thoughts so brace yourself.

    I'm really really proud of you for all the work you're putting into Havard and if you ever need reassurance, I am here. Always.
    I am ridiculously excited about the podcast. If you need more voices, I am 10000% willing to be a part of this. And my little sister adores acting, so she'd probably be thrilled to help out as well.
    Also sign me up for the newsletter, like, now. I need this thing in my life.
    The Youer Than You blog is fantastic, even if I'm terrible at keeping up with all the posts. (i'm considering signing up to be a part of it?)

    Basically, you are a beautiful fantastic creature and i'm so privileged to call you my fren. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *casually dies because too much hard work* I AM SO TIRED UGH.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, a newsletter thing sounds amazing! And so does your podcast idea. I would SO listen to that. Podcasts are ignored a lot, especially lately, but they can be seriously cool! I'll check out the "Youer than You" blog. It looks great!
    I had this useless-but-convoluted idea for a time travel-y animated series about a bunch of kids who are sent back in time to stop some villain. One of them might end up becoming that villain, but I'm not sure yet. It'd focus mostly on the characters and the mystery of the story, but there'd be a bit of superhero-ing. Anyway, it's not like I'm ever going to be able to do much with it (beyond maybe writing out the plot and having some fun designing the characters).
    It's not exactly the most original idea either.
    And I'm still working on this weird fantasy/sci fi story in my free time, so that's a thing.
    Senior year doesn't leave you with much time to write, especially if you're bad at time management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make this podcast thing happen! I'm worried I won't be able to do it justice, but I have a great group of people supporting me and I think I can make something a little bit awesome one day. (Hopefully.)
      That idea sounds so cool! I don't blame you for having a hard time with it. time travel is the worst. xD

      Delete
  4. Eeep, the podcast sounds amazing and so exciting!! And that's awesome that you're going to write it and put it all together and just WOW I BOW TO THOSE SKILLS. *nods* And I seriously need to binge-watch a TV show sometimes...it's so good for inspiration honestly and I'm like running a bit on empty.😂 I just finished plotting a book that's been bugging at me SO BAD for months..and now my brain doesn't know what to flail over.😂 Eeep, but good luck with all the busyness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE GIVEN MYSELF A WAY TOO LARGE GOAL HERE AND NOW I AM WORRIED SIGH. :P Ever since Jay Kristoff instructed us to binge-watch shows for inspiration I haven't felt lazy doing it, so...an excellent excuse.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I can't wait for the podcast to become a thing. That sounds so infinitely cool. As does a newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'll be working on those over the winter and it'll be kind of crazy, so I won't have time to breathe...hopefully it'll be worth it.

      Delete
  6. A podcast?! That sounds really cool, I can't wait to hear! I added you on your new NaNo... I want to make a new one as well since mine has an ancient nickname I came up with when I was twelve. *blushes* But then I'll loose the thing that says "Member for five years" and I'm lame like that.

    Good luck with all the future balancing schedule things! I love reading what other writers do and plan and schedule and think. xD
    Jeneca @ Jeniqua Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old NaNo names, tho. So much regret. xD

      Delete
  7. Your podcast sounds incredible! Best of luck with it.
    TIME SCHEDULING IS THE WORST. I have play practice a ton this week and I know I'm not going to get anything else done.
    The newsletter sounds awesome! I'd subscribe to something like that.
    I've been working on my fairyland vs steampunk novella :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *casually dies because schedules are hard*

      Delete
  8. I'm tentatively starting to get back into writing after a long dry spell; it's scary but exciting. I honestly can't wait for your podcast--it sounds wonderful. I just might swipe this post idea, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh it's honestly terrifying to get back into the swing of things.

      Delete
  9. ACK, you've been doing so much awesome stuff! THAT PINTEREST BOARD *drools*. I love it!
    Added you as a NaNo buddy - WE SHALL ROCK THIS THING. Also, good luck with the podcast, it sounds SO cool *nods*.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So much of it is so crazy, and I don't think I'll ever get done in time, but I'm hoping I can make some stuff happen this winter.

      Delete
  10. The podcast idea sounds so cool! I've actually been getting into listening to podcasts more often recently, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm literally so excited for yours, oh my gosh. XD

    I'D LOVE A NEWSLETTER!!!!! *raises hands and jumps around*

    And I'll definitely have to go check out that website you're blogging for! I read a post on there the other day that you linked on Twitter, and I loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to properly start it! :D

      Delete
  11. PODCASTS ARE SO FUN. Definitely unappreciated. *nods* Your Pinterest board looks stunning LIKE THAT AESTHETIC, it looks amazing together. 12/10.

    Good luck with NaNoWrimo, I added you as a buddy :D

    ~ Noor

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so busy and productive! *high fives* Hope you have a great time with podcasts and newsletters and guest posts! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to subscribe to your newsletter! Where do I sign up? Lol! Sounds totally epic! ;) and cool. I'll have to have my dad check out that new blog sometime so I can check it out!

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.