50k, Creepy Swamp Things, and Other Shenanigans // NaNo #2

7:00 AM


(A lil note: I'm adjusting my posting schedule to twice a week, Tuesdays and Saturdays, for the time being. Because I can, dangit. I have lots of cool post ideas coming, not the least of which is a guest post by a very special bloggy fren...but for now, enjoy more snippets as I throw them at you. I'm also working on a newsletter thing, so that's happening.)



Congratulations, we survived week 2.

Are you dead yet?
Image result for the incredibles we're alive gif

Take a moment. Breathe. Stretch your tired fingers and wrists. Step back from that coffee/tea/beverage of choice. Shake off all the words. 
Image result for pull yourself together gif
ah yes my favorite gif
We're not done yet. But we made it halfway. 

Total word count so far: 50,066

This has possibly been one of the best NaNos ever for me so far, both in productivity and inspiration levels. Halfway into NaNo and halfway into this novel...I'm not hating it and my words and myself and everything else in the world, and that's a frickin' miracle at this point. I'm exhausted, and ready to be done, but...I'm having a blast. 

Also, I hit 50k on Sunday. because i suck, i know. (seriously, don't go crazy about it. i sacrificed everything about my sanity and social life to do this. #notworthit #mostly)

My only thought from this: fantasy is way harder than I anticipated. I'm almost not sure what to do without my guns and spaceships. I do, on the other hand, get to use swords again, which is fun. And worldbuiling is going to be a thing that kills me. This standalone novel has casually warped into a series, another new thing for me, so there's lots to explore and lots to weep over. It's gotten really creepy and really intense real fast. I'm figuring out characters. I'm lost in the wonder of a first draft right now, though, so none of these difficult things seem to matter. I'm a wee bit drunk on words. 

As a result, I have no smart observations for you. I've immersed myself in the story...and I guess I'll let that do the talking this week. 

Enjoy some Snippets.
casually not writing fantasy horror...EXCEPT THAT I AM 
*dramatic music*
in which my shy and soft child speaks up, bless her
bless Finnien, also. I love him too much. #problematicfave
more swamp monsters. sue me.

The lesson here? Don't let me anywhere near fantasy. I will corrupt it and pants wildly. 


how goes NaNo for you? are you alive? how are your characters treating you? let's moan about those stubborn peeps together.

21 comments

  1. THOSE SNIPPETS THOUGH. So amazing.
    I think the freedom that comes with writing fantasy is actually what makes it so hard. With sci fi, you generally act (to some extent) within the restraints of a few basic scientific principles. Your technology and stuff might not really be scientifically possible, but it's still mostly going to follow a few basic rules of physics, gravity, etc. With fantasy, you can do whatever the heck you want...except that you can't, because you sometimes have to create an entire world and system of magic specific to it, which is hard even if you elect to make it as non-complicated as possible. SO yeah, it's hard. I think that's why a lot of people's fantasy stories fall into that basic, cliche, LoTR-wannabe fantasy formula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how to make all that stuff work without it being cliche enough for me to want to stab myself repeatedly in the face...

      Delete
    2. Omg yes!! I've been trying to avoid all the cliches with my story and so far, I think it's all one big cliche lol!

      Delete
  2. voting for: aimee posting blood sisters snippets weekly on her blog or instagram. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! It's more of a struggle than I originally thought, trying to find all these snippets, though.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love these! Especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm especially fond of that entire last scene myself.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been insecure about it so that's nice to hear.

      Delete
  5. Um, excuse me while I DROWN IN THE GORGEOUSNESS OF YOUR SNIPPETS. You have SO. MUCH. TALENT. How do you write such quality writing so FAST???? My NaNo novels are always disastrous. XD YOU ARE A WIZARD.

    Congrats on reaching 50k!!!! You're doing so amazing. And your story sounds amazing. And just...everything is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flails wildly* THANK YOUUUU. To be honest these are just cherry-picked and slightly edited things, so they're probably not a great representation of my NaNo experience.

      Delete
  6. You will NOT corrupt it. You will continue to amaze me with your awesomeness.
    Also, kudos to you on your amount of productivity. My NaNo novel is sitting and crying the corner cause I've had to neglect it because life is literally blowing up (in a good way). I must bottle up my inspiration from your determination and sprinkle it on my very very distracted fingers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This NaNo is going surprisingly well...at the cost of everything else in my life. Shhhh.

      Delete
  7. After reading your snippets, I have one thought: I. AM. A. WRITING. FAILURE!! Lol. You're so talented! You make me think, "Omg I need help. Like, NOW!!!" Please tell me that you're going to post the finished draft when you finish it? Cause I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't read the whole thing! It's soooo intriguing and makes me want to write better. I will gladly welcome any future writing tips and advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      You know you're a writer when...you see someone double space on their blog and you get all giddy and excited.

      Delete
  8. Oh and I would absolutely love it if you would take a peak at my blog. ;D I would love love love to have you as a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as you finish that novel, let me know. I want to read it, because those snippets are beautiful and intriguing and creepy and everything I love about fantasy and your writing. Congratulations on winning the nano!
    You ask about my nano?
    Ha.
    I'm two weeks behind. *cries* On the other hand, I'm really starting to love my story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what really matters -- loving your story. NaNo is just a fun bonus, after all.

      Delete
  10. YOUR WRITING IS SO FREAKING BEAUTIFUL. Wow. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.