How Do I Bullet Journal? ??????

10:22 AM


Are you confused about this whole bullet journal thing? Allow me to enlighten you. Except not really.


What is a bullet journal? you ask. I've seen it a lot around the internet lately. I don't know what this thing is, exactly, but everyone's looks lovely. 

I'm glad you asked.

I don't really know, either.

Yeah, you heard me. I don't know the exact definition of a bullet journal. I'm not exactly sure why it's called that. What I do know is that there is no right or wrong way to do it, and it's essentially like a planner for people who like to make their own planner suited to their own needs and go crazy with it. Think planner/journal hybrid on steroids, depending on how much you hate yourself. I've used one myself for about two and a half weeks now, and I have to say...it's pretty awesome, no matter how you do it.

There are all kinds of bullet journals. Most of them are gorgeous. They can be super minimalist,
source//vestiblr on tumblr
or super complex,
source//studypetals on tumblr
or belong to your fren Katie who has the neatest handwriting I have ever seen on a human being. (I don't know if Katie is 100% human, tbh.)
LOOK AT THIS. source//Katieeee on her blog

No matter how you do them, they're completely up to you. It's a way to keep track of your life, your tasks, the books you read, your mental health throughout the year, whatever else you want to do, all in one place. It's completely customizable and you can do your own thing with it. For me, it's become soothing, something I do on Sunday night to get me ready for the week. I can process everything I have to do that week and break it down day by day, as well as keep track of the things I want to do every day. I also have pages for books I read that month, so it also serves as a simple journal.

Some people like to use pictures. Some people like to use special crafty stuff, or fancy handwriting, or colorful pens, or quotes, or song lyrics, or whatever else their artsy hearts desire.

For me, I craft my weekly "spread" with a Pilot G2 Bold pen (dude they rock), some pictures I print out, a ruler, and the blood of my enemies.

this is how I do this bullet journal thing.

Here's the notebook I use. I got it from Barnes & Noble for four dollars, which was totally worth it, because it rocks. Some people like to use dotted or gridded paper, but I like mine regular lined. This notebook has the added bonus of looking cute in a minimalist way and being bound in a way that makes it easy to stay open for writing purposes. I want twenty.

ft. my fave pen and a broken protractor 'cause i lost my ruler and i just need straight lines
look at those pages. so lovely.
The next step, of course, would be actually putting stuff in there. Bring on the broken protractor (which I have since replaced with a not-broken one) and the pen. I love this pen. So black and bold and smooth. This is the blank weekly spread, with all the day names and my daily goals -- obviously things I want to do every day -- at the bottom right there. Ignore my awfully drawn check boxes.  

so pretty. so minimalist. #journaling
This is the basic template I use for every week. Next, of course, is actually putting in the things I'm doing that week. I leave myself space, because I don't know Sunday what I'll be doing every day, but generally I have a good idea, especially if there are weekly things I have going on. And I always have my work schedule ahead of time. 
alllllll the stuffs. this is from a few weeks ago, obviously. i just haven't been able to type up a post until now.
So pretty. So satisfying.

That's it for the basic stuff, of course. Now I have an instant one-page look at everything I have going on, and everything I need to do. I can fill in boxes as I do the things, so I know what's still going on, and the agony of leaving one box in the week white while the others are filled in keeps me doing most of my daily things, y'know, daily

It's just like magic, y'all. 


Just in case you thought I was cool or organized by now, realize that I did this entire thing while fending off a cuddly and evil cat and binge-watching The Office. 

This organized life is real, guys.

And finally -- here's a spread from a past week, one that's been filled in with pictures. The pictures themselves are chosen at the end of the week, based on what I've been into that week or the vibe/emotions I've had. It's like a visual journal so not only can I look back and see what I did that week, but I can also see how I was feeling and what I was into at that time as well. I feel like it's pretty neat. And it looks great. 
i was in a surprisingly colorful mood, apparently.

This is, of course, what works for me. Some people are wicked good at it. Some people take hours and make it elaborate and take nice pictures. To be honest, I don't have the time, and I find that if I spend too much time on the bullet journal itself I won't do anything else and it'll become procrastination and that kind of defeats the purpose. So for me it's a journal, and a way to see all the stuff I have going on, and track whether or not I'm doing what I should be doing but usually don't do.

I like it a lot. 

If you haven't gone for it yet, you probably should. It's a lot of fun. And, contrary to popular belief, you don't need a lot of fancy tools to do it. Go for it. Make it happen. Make it yours. 


do you bullet journal? do you want to bullet journal? just...just talk bullet journal down there, guys. let's chat.

26 comments

  1. I love it!! I thought bullet journaling by specifically supposed to have dots or lines but seeing you used a regular old lined journal makes me feel better, hah. I officially need one of those WRITE books for my next journal. *goes off to find one*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I just kinda do my own thing. :P They are the best journals ever, pretty much, and I need more.

      Delete
  2. I am honestly so curious about the whole Bullet Journal thing. Now, I don't have enough time to actually get one and start being an organized, creative human, but whatever, I can still look at the pretty pictures. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the only downside is that they can take a while to set up, and it doesn't work for everyone.

      Delete
  3. omg I've been wanting to bullet journal forever. And I got the PERFECT journal to do it in yesterday. I'm freaking out that you literally JUST posted about bullet journaling when it's been at the forefront of my mind. I love this. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH I LOVE THE IDEA OF IT SO MUCH BUT I STRESSED TOO MUCH OVER MAKING IT PERFECT, SO I'M NOT BULLET JOURNALING RIGHT NOW. EVERYONE ELSE IS THOUGH, SO I FEEL A TAD UNCOOL. BUT GO YOUUUUU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOUUUU I AM SORRY IT WAS STRESSFUL FOR YOU

      Delete
  5. I actually made an effort to start bullet journaling a few weeks ago because it seemed super cool and I happened to have an blank notebook... I kind of forgot about it for a while, but you totally just inspired me to pick it back up. *nods*
    But yeah, this is super helpful because I kind of THOUGHT it was basically just a jazzed-up to-do list journal? But I wasn't sure? So yeah. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! It can really be whatever you want, which is the cool thing about it.

      Delete
  6. Well NOW I want a bullet journal. I'd never heard of them before this post, but I have no idea why because I love lists and organization and scribbling things, SO IT'S BASICALLY PERFECT and works with my life like cinnamon and toast. But how do you manage to write things in it every day and still make it look good? I feel like it might just deteriorate over time until I was just throwing random words down across the page and there would be no consistent method to my madness and I would turn into AIDEN, rambling across space in spirals. (But with less murder of the innocent, hopefully.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly what I do is set up the week's spread all in one day and then just fill in the tasks? So I'm doing it all at once, rather than trying to work on it every day.

      Delete
  7. What do you do for working out??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushups, yoga stuff, a walk/light run...nothing too insane. I'm a wimp at heart. :)

      Delete
  8. Dang, I need to try this. I've heard of bullet journals before, but I didn't really know what they were. It seems like a pretty great idea, though, so I'll definitely give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! It's so fun and it works super well for me, at least.

      Delete
  9. This is so awesome! I really want to get into bullet journaling this upcoming year- I feel like it would really help me to finally get organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is effective in a way that's not too stressful, so I would say do it and have fun with it. :D

      Delete
  10. Dude. Had to come back to this post to let you know that I'm starting a bullet journal AS OF TODAY. So stoked. I'll be posting about it on my blog soon, so...keep an eye out;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS DO IT! I can't wait to see it/flail over it.

      Delete
  11. THIS IS GORGEOUS AND COOL. I don't bullet journal, but I ordinary journal when I wake up, so when I go back and read it I'm either a)incoherent, b) whiny, or c)both. I also have one cute notebook with my school schedule and where I write down my assignments, with my (school ish) year goals in the back. Sticky notes hold my life together; I use them for to do (or blog post, or whatever) lists all the time. I like the idea of bullet journaling? But I don't currently have the time, and I worry it'd be just another chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journaling in any way is the best for you creatively and mentally, so go you!

      Delete
  12. This is so neat! I've seen the phrase "bullet journal" floating around, but I didn't know it was a full-blown trend. I keep just a regular journal, but over this last year I've started using it to make little checklists of what I want to get done in a week, and checking them off as I go—and it really helps! Same idea, just much less artistic than yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't do it quite as intensely as a lot of people do, and I'm okay with that. :)

      Delete
  13. So glad Bullet Journaling is working out for you, Aimee. I love how simple and minimalist yours is. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I WANT A BULLET JOURNAL!!!!!!! This thing looks totally awesome!!! I'm so going to Barnes and Nobles to find one sometime (hopefully soon). I love that you have piano on it! I play piano too and I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.