feed your brain // creative life #2

7:00 AM


A segment thing with no specific rules, in which I get to ramble about my creative brain lately.


The first time I did this I ranted about all of the creative exploits I'd been up to lately. I have lots of things I'm planning now, but I'm going to take this post in a different direction, seeing as this is right after NaNo. I'm burnt out from novel writing. I've been so focused on churning out allll the words (all almost 100k of them, help me) that now that I have a chance to breathe, I'm running on empty. And I'm trying to refuel. For me, that means stepping away from my own words and consuming as much stuff from other people as I can. I have to fill myself back up with inspiration and good stories so I can come back and get my brain working and newly energized again. 

Bring on alllll the things.

For your entertainment and hopefully your inspiration, here are the things I've been throwing at myself for the past week or so, the things that fill me with ALL the creative energy and inspiration. They're quite awesome.

Image result for gemina cover

There's just so much to love about the latest insanity from Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman, definitely not excluding that gorgeous cover. This is a carefully-crafted, intricate story that continues where ILLUMINAE left off and yet holds its own and also your attention because it gets real horrifying real fast. The format is rich and it's easy to flip through the pages and fangirl over them/catch all the easter eggs for the rest of your life. The story is as rich and intense as the format itself, and it grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go until your head is spinning and your brain has been blown into little teeny pieces and everything you love has been through hell and back at least five or six times. 

15/10 would reccommend if you want to moan because you will never create something this unique and well-done. It is, however, a good thing to strive for, and gets me wanting to experiment with storytelling format and also help them get more hardcore YA sci-fi out there. 
Image result for firefly gif
you reading the whole book
And that gif leads us to...
Image result for firefly poster
MY FAVE.
It suddenly occurs to me that I don't rant about Firefly nearly enough here. Or anywhere. I'm ashamed and I apologize because THIS IS MY FAVORITE. It's quite possibly one of the most important and awesome sci-fi things in recent times; it's so quirky that no one else could pull it off, the writing is superb and feelsy and ridiculous all at once, and the fact that it was cancelled after one season makes that one excellent season all the more precious. I rewatched it lately and remembered just why I'm hopelessly in love with it. Who wouldn't love a space opera meets crime show meets western featuring everyone's favorite space criminals? The combination of hilarious characters and complex worldbuilding and the creepy horror tinge that creeps in every so often makes it a remarkable thing and an inspiration to us all. also it has nathan fillion in it and you cannot go wrong with nathan fillion in anything.

I aspire to write sci-fi as weird as this. 
Image result for firefly i swear by my pretty floral bonnet gif
THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS AND MORBID SHOW I SWEAR
this music video+song:

This has been on repeat almost exclusively on my Spotify for two days straight now and counting (with no end in sight). It's one of those weird songs I stumbled across and fell in love with instantly, and when I came upon the music video...I loved it even more. WHAT IS IT GUYS. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. BUT THE INSPIRATION IS REAL. I'm in love with everything about this. The catchiness of the song. His voice, which is rich and a little bit magical. How the video is so simple and at the same time so mysterious and brings up so many questions and paints such a vivid story. The singer's expressions in the video, the way he blends song and story together so seamlessly and makes this character without a name real in just a few shots. The lyrics. The fact that the whole song has this hardcore, haunting quality to it that gives you such vivid images. My imagination has officially been triggered. I'M GOING TO WRITE SO MANY STORIES. 

(As a matter of a fact, the feel of this song is the first thing I've come across that so perfectly captures the feel of this future story of mine.)

Image result for x-files gif
THAT'S RIGHT.
At the insistence of a good friend I picked up watching X-Files. I have no regrets about starting X-Files. Other than the fact that I am now emotionally invested in both of these conspiracy nerds, and Fox Mulder is my new spirit animal. 

I definitely am not a lil bit in love with Mulder, the conspiracy theorist dork with all the lame jokes. 

Definitely not. 
Image result for mulder gif
STAHP.
I got a little bit distracted. Just a little. Needless to say, the spooky conspiracy vibes of this show, combined with all the ~aliens~, are very inspiring and not something I would usually watch but something I'm thoroughly enjoying. They're the perfect mix of crime thriller (which i am always a sucker for) and the tiniest bit horror. The creep factor is REAL and I love all of it. 

but mostly i love mulder.

Pariah.

Technically not a thing that's inspiring me, because it's...my own thing. don't judge me. It is, however, a thing I am returning to after months and months of leaving it in the hands of beta readers. The feedback in, I'm homesick for my murder child, and it's time to whip this next draft into place. 

Also, I kind of feel like it's going to be the last draft for a while. 

I feel like it's almost as finished as I can make it right now. 

So what do you intend to do with Pariah once you finish it? you ask me. To which I answer that I have a lot of plans and they involve guts and prayers and no, not self publishing. That's not my route. 

BUT. This story has been on my heart for a while and I feel I owe it the chance to get it out into the world and into the hands of alllll the peeps. So. There are definitely plans. It's scary, but it feels like a good time to start taking the next steps. 
Image result for screaming guitar gif
SO MUCH ADULTING.
I am an awkward human and there doesn't seem to be a better way to end this thing than incoherent screaming, to be honest, so let's leave it at that. 

See you on Tuesday. 

what's been inspiring you lately? what gets your creative wheels turning? watching any good shows? feed my brain. suggest allllll the good things.


14 comments

  1. GEMINA GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK AT EVERY TURN. There was at least three times that i cried only to find out that, nope, I did not need to be crying. XD

    "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..." I miss Firefly. It's sO GOOD.

    I've been learning to rap Kitchen Sink, and honestly, I FEEL LIKE A SUPERHUMAN. No one can stop me. I am invincible. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude. Rapping Kitchen Sink takes serious skill. I can't even do it, man. xD

      Delete
  2. Well, I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale a lot lately, and though I'm not a huge fan of the whole Cecil/Carlos thing, I love it to death. It's just so creative, weird, and perfectly engaging. Aagh, it's the best.
    I started to watch Firefly a while back, and I definitely like it, but I decided I needed to finish a few of my other shows first. Anyway, I'm glad Pariah is going well for you, and I wish you luck with whatever you do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mostly think of that part of WTNV as just part of the weirdness and ignore, y'know, the fact that they're trying to shove that down our throats and make it normal :) But other than that, I adore Night Vale.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if my creative stuff will work for you. Buuuuuttt.....I can try! Dance Academy is one of my favorite TV shows. It's kinda cheesy at parts, but it actually made me cry....it's amazing! I also like to play piano for inspiration. Or sing...always sing. When in doubt, just sing! LOL! But recently X-Men: Apocalypse took my heart, tossed it around, and shredded it to pieces. So maybe that would help spark some creativity? Not really sure, but hey! Different things work for different people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mulder and Scully are two of the most precious human beings on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, nothing much has been I sliding me because, well, my midterms start in less than a week and I haven't prepared (oops) and I need to do 3 years worth of preparation and this academic year is one of the most important ones of my life and even though I really, really want to, most of the time I really just *can't* start writing what I'm planning and inspiration right now is scarce-absent, mostly. But once midterms are over I want to accomplish some writing, and hopefully improve my blogging schedule. Hopefully. I have so many things that i've be planned out, literally written down for my blog but when it comes to transferring that to the paper it gets so difficult idk. Aimee, do you have any, any tips for self-motivaation, focus for a person that struggles with anything and everything?
    As usual, I really enjoyed your post. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, school makes it difficult. Good luck with it!

      As for self-motivating...it's something I'm still working out myself. Giving myself small goals instead of huge ones, and rewarding myself a lil for reaching those goals, has worked for me in the past! Make a Pinterest board full of inspirational quotes and scroll through it when you need work. Get a friend to yell at you when you need to do things. Take it one little step at a time. That's what's helped me.

      Delete
  6. I'm reading Gemina right now and it is sooooo good! It's one of those books that I simultaneously can't wait to finish to see how it ends but also want to take my time and make it last longer! Something that has been helping my creativity is learning a bit about physics. I am now so inspired to write sic-fi. Plus I recently saw Arrival which was amazing and is just the type of sic-fi that I want to write. And most importantly, Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts is just the most precious cinnamon roll and has inspired me to write all the cinnamon rolls! Seriously, we need more Newts in the book world and especially in YA. Thanks for sharing and good luck on the next draft of Pariah, I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GEMINAAAA. And I can't wait to see Arrival, dude. I keep meaning to go!

      Delete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.