the 2017 to-do list // podcast, videos, and more!

12:08 PM


because resolutions are the worst but i do definitely have plans for this upcoming year.



If you're reading this -- congratulations! You made it at least 3 days into 2017. We're still here. We're still moving. Keep it up. Have a cookie.
maybe don't be jay gatsby.
My year has started off..eventfully. As in, a brother in the hospital and two days of stuck-in-bed crippling illness ft. blacking out once sort of eventful. The little bro described it as "purging 2016 from our systems" so hopefully it's not a sign of the year to come, y'know? As it is, I'm feeling strangely pumped and motivated to do alllll the things this year, and I have lots of plans, some of which will involve y'all, so I'm going to rant about them here.


I don't do resolutions, but here's what I'll be up to this year (hopefully):


This is, of course, my pet project this year! It's going to be a sci-fi fiction podcast -- think Star Trek meets Ender's Game meets a touch of Illuminae creepiness -- centering around teens in space and a possible government conspiracy and possibly aliens who knows. It's an attempt to mesh my love of sci-fi with the real gritty experience of being a confused teenager in a confusing world(s), and I'll be doing all of it myself sans fancy equipment or huge tech knowledge because apparently I hate myself. Is this a crazy-ridiculous thing to try to attempt? Yes. Am I going to do it anyway? Yes. It'll be a learning process for me, and I want to make it as pretty and professional as I can, so I'll be hard at work on this for most of the year. I've written the first episode and a half already -- sneak peaks are imminent, perhaps -- and right now I'm trying to figure out where the heck I'm going to find my main voice. (if you're a teenage girl and you know how to vaguely do the voice acting thing, hit me up.) There'll be more information about this in the months to come, as I write more and start to figure things out and acquire some cover art and possibly a website (???), but I'm really planning/hoping on throwing this thing out to the public sometime in late summer/early fall of this year. Hopefully. I'm sure that's going to change. 

Plan on hearing more about this adventure as I make it happen, and until then, enjoy getting a feel for the basic vibe: 



I may be tinkering around a little with the design this month, but other than that, I don't have any huge changes in mind for the blog right now! The schedule will stay the same -- Tuesdays and Saturdays -- with some exceptions, and I'm ever-streamlining the direction I want to take and the kinds of posts I want to write. This Saturday I'm kicking off this year on the blog well and truly with a Rogue One movie review and you cannot stop me. I'd like to do more in the vein of my post on Christian media (come at me bro) and dumping the things that are inspiring me on you, as well as talking about the #hardtruths of being a writer/creative bean. FUN TIMES FOR ALL.
try to get me to shut up about bodhi rook, who has done nothing wrong
ever, in his life. i dare you.


"You've been talking about a Youtube channel for like a decade now, Aimee." 

Yes. But this year it's happening, I swear. 

The problem before is that I haven't had a decent camera/microphone...and I still don't, tbh. BUT THOSE ARE COMING SOON. VERY SOON. I have ideas, I have the means, and we're going to make it happen. Cue me flailing about sci-fi and stories and writing and allll the things, except now you'll be able to see my face when I do it. And I won't be able to use as many gifs, which is probably a relief to some of you. 

I'd also like to do some videos/screencaps of my writing/creative process, just to show you how stuff gets done...so look out for one coming soon! (Hint: it features Pariah. And me scribbling all over things.)



I may never be finished. This is true. But...I'm diving back into readthrus/edits of Pariah #draft9, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm as close to being "done" as I can be right now. Or I'm approaching something more important. I don't know, man, it's just a gut feeling that's hopefully right, since I've been with this story for so long now. It's very strange to see, but it's starting to become something that feels right and...kinda not sucky.

Right now I'm re-reading, going through beta feedback, printing out the draft and scribbling in it, etc., figuring out what I need to do to make this next draft even more streamlined. And after I make those changes? Who knows?

I'm not saying I have ambitions with this. I'm just saying I have ambitions.



several that I'd definitely like to get to this year: 

1. 'Replacement' 
a working title for a very upsetting YA dystopia featuring elaborate body-switching, military, scary government, a hard of hearing protagonist, and more fun like that.

2. Fuse
my first venture into dieselpunk! alternate wwi, machines and magic, the war, and creatures in the dark that bleed engine oil. it's gonna be horrifying fun.

Of course, most of this year is going to be devoted to re-writing and fixing up Havard, so...we'll see how all of this goes. and i'll definitely fail at keeping away the plot bunnies. so it goes.


That, my frens, is just the teeniest tiniest snippet of all the many things I have planned for this year. THERE ARE TOO MANY. But let's tackle it. This year I'm channeling my inner Leslie Knope and DOING ALL THE THINGS.

(we can do this. probably.)

what magnificent things do you have planned for this year?


24 comments

  1. ALL THOSE STORIES SOUND MARVELOUS. I too have quite a few books lined up for this year, and I'm so excited.

    That podcast sounds so cool. I will for sure be a loyal fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh fun books! :D And thanks so much -- I can't wait to get this thing out to you guys.

      Delete
  2. This all looks very cool, honestly I'm so excited for you.
    (Oh man, Bodhi Rook was my favorite character. I can't deal with that movie).
    Anyway, you're insane, but I'm sure you can do it, so good luck with all the things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (BODHI IS MY FAVORITE EVER AND MY LOVE FOR HIM WILL NEVER DIE and i get way too excited, whoops.)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you're brave. XD Good luck with all the writing projects. Replacement intrigues me and Fuse kinda terrifies me because I know you'll destroy all those poor characters' lives.
    But anyways, hope you have a good year and get the things done! :)

    ~Musicgirl121

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwhahaha we'll just...we'll pretend it works out okay for everyone.

      Probably.

      Delete
    2. I can pretend that lol.

      ~Musicgirl121

      Delete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog a couple days ago and I love your writing style. And your controversial opinions on the quality of Christian media. ;) If you're seriously looking for a main voice for the podcast I would be willing to do it. I'm 17 and I have some practice with reader's theater and I've been in a couple Shakespeare plays for my school. And I'm a girl. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Welcome to the blog. :P (I might totally hit you up on that offer, by the way.)

      Delete
  5. Creatures that bleed engine oil? HOW ABOUT YES.

    I'm actually focusing on using Youtube as a platform this year too! We can fight this beast together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS ALL SOUNDS SO EXCITING AHH why can't I be Jay Gatsby I wanna be Jay Gatsby just kidding no

    THIS ALL SOUNDS SO EXCITING. LIKE SERIOUSLY EVERY SINGLE STORY. They all sound absolutely incredible. *adds self-promo* I've done quite a bit of voice for a podcast/audio theater team in my church. If you'd like any help (I've done sound effects and stuff too) I can do whatever :)

    Dude, if this post is any indication, you are going to SLAY this year and I am quite excited for it! GO AIMEE!

    Katie katieconfetti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't be Jay Gatsby that sounds questionable

      (In all seriousness, tho, I might message you soon...)

      Delete
  7. I'm super excited for you with all of these projects!!! It sounds like you're going to have a busy year. I can't wait to see everything that you're going to do! I'm definitely looking forward to some blog posts like the one you wrote on Christian media.

    Also, I might could help you with the whole voice-acting thing. I've been involved with theatre and stuff like that for ages, so let me know if there's anything that I can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to do allll the things, so hopefully some of them work out.

      Delete
  8. Ugh. The story ideas. So much good. At the risk of being creepy, I am completely in love with your imagination/writer brain. Thank you for sharing it with the world (most importantly me).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay but I'm really excited about all of this? Like the podcast thing looks epic and everything.

    ALSO I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR ROGUE ONE REVIEW. I really need to get my act together and talk/angst/scream about it on my blog too. It's a perfect story on so many levels.

    And yay for videos! I've actually begun planning for some minimal vlogging/video whatever too -- I'm looking for a good (and cheap, because I'm broke) microphone. Oh, and a good SD card because apparently the one I have is incompetent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROGUE ONE. THE BEST MOVIE. *shrieks into the void always*

      Yeah, the tough thing about videos is the tech involved -- I'm not tech savvy at all, so I'm still trying to figure it out. :P

      Delete
  10. Wow, you have a lot of stories in the works! The podcast thing sounds like SO much fun and I'm excited for it! My main goals for this year are finishing my nonfiction book and hopefully starting on a novella (I have some vague ideas, that's about it haha).

    Happy new year, and may it be a blessed one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girrrrl, these all sound AMAZING. Your story ideas tho. o.o AND THE PODCAST. I MUCHLY LOOK FORWARD TO THIS. It just...YES. It sounds epic!

    I do so hope you have the BEST 2017 and are able to meet all your goals! You've got this. *fistpump*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I have too much going on, really. Wish me luck.

      Delete

  12. Okay, so I'm excited for your podcast. And all these books sound super cool. And you've inspired me with all your pumped-up excitement *goes to write a 2017 goals post*
    (P.S. what your brother said about 2016 purging was fabulous. XD)
    Jeneca Writes

    ReplyDelete

hey. hey. talk to me. i'm a fan of comments and flailing with you. go for it.